Author Topic: Chat Suspension: 1 week is too long  (Read 5955 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Chat Suspension: 1 week is too long
« Reply #180 on: August 31, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »
If that was the rule, yes. But its not.   :D

Say the speed limit is 65, I know if I'm caught going faster there is a ticket and fine. I also know that around here if your only 5 miles an hour over they will let you slid. After driving over a million miles I have gotten 2 tickets. Have paid the fine without contesting it. Why? Because both times I was guilty of speeding. Did I think the $100 fine was fair, hell no! But I paid it because that's the rule and I was guilty.

I don't see what's so hard to understand.

So, if the fine was $1,000 you would not question the amount?  Even in conversations with your friends?  

And after everything you said about the people that try to bend the rules, you go on to tell us you yourself have no regard for them and break them?  The fact that you have 2 tickets means that you disregarded those rules, how many times?  Obviously you got away with it a few times before they got you right?  Holly hypocrisy Batman   :old:  Or is it only a crime if you get caught?  

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #181 on: August 31, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »
As to knowing the cost of a ticket before getting one, it isn't written anywhere accessible as to what the total is going to cost, so the offender really has no idea what the damage will be.

On that note, $100 to some is a hell of a lot of money, to some it's pocket change.  

A 1 week mute to me would make almost no difference since I only average 5 hours of game time.  To others who play more, it is much more punishing.

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #182 on: August 31, 2011, 03:08:30 PM »
 Obviously you got away with it a few times before they got you right?  Holly hypocrisy Batman   :old:  Or is it only a crime if you get caught?  

I'm sure there is an excuse for why a rule was broken.  There was a reduce speed ahead zone and he couldn't slow down in time because his cute kitten had managed its way underneath his break pedal.  Yeah, he chose to break the law in lieu of crushing his poor kitten with the force of a break pedal being thrust down, but anyone with a heart would have done the same.

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2011, 03:10:50 PM »
I'm sure there is an excuse for why a rule was broken.  There was a reduce speed ahead zone and he couldn't slow down in time because his cute kitten had managed its way underneath his break pedal.  Yeah, he chose to break the law in lieu of crushing his poor kitten with the force of a break pedal being thrust down, but anyone with a heart would have done the same.
i would have snapped that kittens back in half then shoved it into the dirt...but yes, there is always an excuse for the rule being broken. whatever got you muted is the excuse.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2011, 03:14:51 PM »
13 pages. :aok

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #185 on: August 31, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »

*sigh* and still no lynching...  I am disappoint.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: August 31, 2011, 03:37:22 PM »

Whats worse is that I might have missed the execution.  The kids were really exited about watching it.  Now what am I going to tell them  :(

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #187 on: August 31, 2011, 05:13:59 PM »
Grizz Im not talking any ideology here, Im taking about a rule EVERYONE knows that if you step out of line and get caught you WILL get your chat and vox privileges suspended. If you choose..like the OP did to push those limits it's with the knowledge that you CAN lose the privilege, and if caught most certainly WILL lose the privilege. The amount isn't important to me. Like I said in my tickets story I pay my fine if Im guilty. If the fine was $1000, there wouldn't have been a second ticket dedalos  :P . Both tickets were years ago when I was young a foolish. Today I know there is no need to speed, and it takes as long as it takes to get from point A to point B.

I was brought up to "do whats right". That means helping little old ladies, holding doors for women, not cussing in mixed company...even if the women are to ones with the dirtyest mouths, and following the rules.  Both of my speeding tickets were willing working for the vending company I work for. I was trying to get to machines that were free vending, or unlocked to save the company the loss. That is why I see no problem with a 7 day mute, I have heard of longer ones, and it also why I don't see a reason to change the length of the punishment. The rule is the rule.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #188 on: August 31, 2011, 05:38:25 PM »
Grizz Im not talking any ideology here, Im taking about a rule EVERYONE knows that if you step out of line and get caught you WILL get your chat and vox privileges suspended. If you choose..like the OP did to push those limits it's with the knowledge that you CAN lose the privilege, and if caught most certainly WILL lose the privilege. The amount isn't important to me. Like I said in my tickets story I pay my fine if Im guilty. If the fine was $1000, there wouldn't have been a second ticket dedalos  :P . Both tickets were years ago when I was young a foolish. Today I know there is no need to speed, and it takes as long as it takes to get from point A to point B.

I was brought up to "do whats right". That means helping little old ladies, holding doors for women, not cussing in mixed company...even if the women are to ones with the dirtyest mouths, and following the rules.  Both of my speeding tickets were willing working for the vending company I work for. I was trying to get to machines that were free vending, or unlocked to save the company the loss. That is why I see no problem with a 7 day mute, I have heard of longer ones, and it also why I don't see a reason to change the length of the punishment. The rule is the rule.

Trust me, you'll get caught.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #189 on: August 31, 2011, 07:15:14 PM »
Social rules are highly local.  For example, I wouldn't insult my female colleagues by refraining from swearing with them around.  Although of course, I do for my aunts.  Same same opening doors.  Doing it for a random granny is polite, doing it for someone younger than myself (other than if they're carrying something or following me through a door) is borderline creepy.

And chat-banning the verbally over-aggressive is just fine with me.  Make it a month.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #190 on: September 01, 2011, 05:17:40 AM »
*sigh* and still no lynching...  I am disappoint.

Wiley.

We're working on it, the latest candidate being Fugi, for his failure to acknowledge the proportionality principle of punishment. I'm still rooting for Tyger, though, because this is a squeak thread, after all.

Better: both... with stones.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #191 on: September 01, 2011, 05:20:03 AM »
I wouldn't insult my female colleagues by refraining from swearing with them around. 

Me neither. I turn it up extr-y for 'em, just to watch 'em cringe every time I say something.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #192 on: September 01, 2011, 10:34:24 AM »
Alright!  The thread has officially lasted longer than the punishment.  I think we're done here.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: September 01, 2011, 10:44:27 AM »
Alright!  The thread has officially lasted longer than the punishment.  I think we're done here.

Wiley.

What?  No post-execution celebrations?  :O

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #194 on: September 01, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »
 :aok for fourteen
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)