Author Topic: 75 Sqdn P40e  (Read 4232 times)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Re: 75 Sqdn P40e
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 12:17:14 AM »
Tks Loon.

Ink, I dont know if it bulges that much, but I agree with you on the staining.

Cheers

Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 01:01:23 AM »
definitely do enough to show it :salute

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 02:44:26 AM »
Thanks for the picture
Raw Prawns      

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 09:25:03 AM »
Weathering, dirt grime and scratches really make the skin, I think.   I've tried making a 'newer' plane look and it just doesn't look as realistic IMO.  If you're stuck, I'd suggest two things.  First, study the undersides of Greebo's skins- especially his P-47s.   Look at what he does around gear doors and access panels and gun ejector chutes.   Then, make backup of your skin, and try all the things you see - don't hold back - overdo it on purpose - you can scale back later.   If you're tentative about applying grease and oil stains - just break the dam open and try lots of it on the skin.   

Not sure what the defautl P-40 has for weathering on underside but if Cactus did it that's probably a great example too.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 12:29:41 AM »
Sorry i've been away with work, updated underside.
Raw Prawns      

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 01:48:51 AM »
nice :aok

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 03:17:31 AM »
It is looking promising FTJR. Here's a few suggestions I have you might want to consider:

The panel lines all look very uniform in opacity. Lines on things like the edges of the control surfaces, undercarriage, gun and engine access panels etc should be heavier than the other lines as they represent breaks in the skin rather than overlapped panels. Easiest way to do this is to create copies of your panel line layers, change the lines' colour temporarily and then erase the lines you don't want to be heavy. Ypu can then vary the opacity of your new layers to get them looking right.

The front of the elevators and ailerons could do with a thin shadow on their leading edges. Easiest way is to draw a one pixel wide vertical line, gaussian blur it, and then remove one half of it so you get a sharp dark line on one side that tapers away to nothing on for a few pixels on the other side. Now copy and paste copies of this line onto your control surface hinge lines, rotating them as necessary. The sharp part of the line is on the hinge line with the tapering part fading back onto the control surface itself.

WRT weathering I've found a couple of threads where I've discussed it before here and here.

I'd say don't be afraid to add more layers, my skins often have 20-30 layers of weathering effects. If you chuck everything on one or two layers you can't vary one effect against another later on.

Maybe add a second layer of oil streaks below the fuselage, but lots of thinner (one or to pixels wide) and slightly wavy ones, partly erased as they thin out towards the rear. Combined with the more general oil staining you've already done, these would look more realistic IMO.

On most planes the cartridge ejection holes usually have staining behind them as well as the gun barrels themselves, although I haven't looked at WW2 P-40 photos to check this.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:28:25 AM by Greebo »

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 10:08:33 AM »
Hi Greebo, thanks for the input, I'll try and do more with the weathering and panel lines as you suggest. Cheers.
Raw Prawns      

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 08:22:58 PM »
Just curious regarding this highly valued P40E skin... anything updated to look at?   :D 

has it been submitted???  :pray  It'd be nice to have ASAP.   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »
Hi ' Loon, I've been away with work and RL events the last week, and haven't had time to put into it. The time I have had I've been trying to follow Greebo's suggestions. Hopefully later this week I'll update it.
Raw Prawns      

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 05:30:22 PM »
Hi ' Loon, I've been away with work and RL events the last week, and haven't had time to put into it. The time I have had I've been trying to follow Greebo's suggestions. Hopefully later this week I'll update it.

Good to know.  Obviously, RL always comes first (Beer, Church, Family, Job, School, etc).  I just hope you are able to get the skin adjusted as you see fit and submitted for approval well enough in advance for HTC to get it into the next update.   :pray  Again, a big thanks for working on this skin.   :salute   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 04:45:49 AM »
Ok, in an effort to display a little more clearly I've moved on to my 450 Squadron P40, the weathering and staining is additional, as is the heavier engine lines as suggested by Greebo.

Raw Prawns      

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »
belly is purple...otherwise looks good :salute

although i don't like the gear door paint the way it just stops....shouldn't it be at the edge of wing?

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 12:13:49 PM »
Nice!  Good to see an RAF skin in there as well!!!     :aok

So does that mean 75 Sqd RAAF is finished???   

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »
Nice!  Good to see an RAF skin in there as well!!!     :aok

RAF :huh bite your tongue.

Had a lot of trouble finding that naked lady.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._450_Squadron_RAAF
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:26:45 PM by lyric1 »