Author Topic: vid card upgrade...  (Read 3487 times)

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
vid card upgrade...
« on: September 05, 2011, 04:11:17 PM »
some day when i save up the money, probably not until my birthday, i wanna upgrade my card. right now i have a XFX Radeon 5750. it runs nicely, no issues, but i want a little more eye candy out of the game. finer resolution for the details and overall run it a little sooner. thoughts? preferably below $200ish would be great, but if its a couple over i can live it. just going for thoughts right now.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: vid card upgrade...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 04:14:04 PM »
it might not make a difference what you select today as probably it wont be here in 6 months :).  what are your settings withing the game, maybe a better option would be to adjust them.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:20:42 PM »
it might not make a difference what you select today as probably it wont be here in 6 months :).  what are your settings withing the game, maybe a better option would be to adjust them.

semp
ive played with them, it runs smooth. i have all the shadows, detailed water, hi res pack, smooth shadows. other planes skins enabled, horizon enabled. all the goodies. would love to have the shadow texture size at 8192 and still run it smooth. right now that is at 1024 and im lookin about 40-50 with my other candy. could i OC things? yes, just dont feel a "need" to other then to say i did. and in AH with my performance like so, what would i gain?

i guess what i was asking in my OP was a card that would boost my performance. ive rerad a few threads about how the ATI cards have a numerical system for giving spoecs. the first number is generation, second one is its performance, etc. etc. things is, i dont wanna buy a 6770 if im not gonna gain much of a performance boost.
HogDweeb

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
it may or may not...you have a pretty new system. what mobo and ram did you put in it?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »
MSI 880GM-E41 with 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill ram. my CPU is an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T. it is all brand new, but i want more eye candy, and im addicted  :cry

only thing is money is keeping me from finishing it to my liking right now  :aok
HogDweeb

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:18:34 PM »
MSI 880GM-E41 with 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill ram. my CPU is an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T. it is all brand new, but i want more eye candy, and im addicted  :cry

only thing is money is keeping me from finishing it to my liking right now  :aok

forget about the 6770, it will not be that much of an improvement to be wasting money on.......

keep your 5750 until you save up enough money and then purchase yourself a 6950 or 6970 ( the 2 GB version of either one )......... just make sure you have at least a 750 to 850 watt PSU minimal.........
with at least  (1) 8 pin PCIe<--- can be 6+2 also for the 8 pin,  and (1) 6 pin PCIe

if I remember correctly, the 6950 will use (2) 6 pin PCIe connectors, while the 6970 will use (1) 8 pin & (1) 6 pin  on the PCIe  power connectors.......

hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 12:45:21 AM »
I would start making sure that your system isn't using processor power for unnecessary processes or programs.

If you have 26 icons in the system tray, then you can probably gain a ton of performance.

If your system has a scroll bar in the "processes" tab of task manager in it's default size window, them you might have some non essential stuff running.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 01:43:11 AM »
ive played with them, it runs smooth. i have all the shadows, detailed water, hi res pack, smooth shadows. other planes skins enabled, horizon enabled. all the goodies. would love to have the shadow texture size at 8192 and still run it smooth. right now that is at 1024 and im lookin about 40-50 with my other candy. could i OC things? yes, just dont feel a "need" to other then to say i did. and in AH with my performance like so, what would i gain?

i guess what i was asking in my OP was a card that would boost my performance. ive rerad a few threads about how the ATI cards have a numerical system for giving spoecs. the first number is generation, second one is its performance, etc. etc. things is, i dont wanna buy a 6770 if im not gonna gain much of a performance boost.

do you mean 40 to 50 fps?  I think you should be maxing out your monitor refresh rate with the upgrade you got.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 08:08:10 AM »
a 5750 is really low end, even with a meager 6870 you would see a HUGE improvement.

a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T is a 6 core CPU, you could run a 3DSmax rendering in the background and Aces high would still be smooth probably :P
now posting as SirNuke

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 08:51:08 AM »
Radeon 5750 (passmark: 1502) is not really low end.

my GTS 250 (passmark: 1071) runs AH in HD, hires tex, with everything maxed (except self-shadow) and doesnt drop under 59fps. the 5750 should easily do the same.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 09:23:49 AM »
Radeon 5750 (passmark: 1502) is not really low end.

my GTS 250 (passmark: 1071) runs AH in HD, hires tex, with everything maxed (except self-shadow) and doesnt drop under 59fps. the 5750 should easily do the same.

Same card I'm using, GTS 250.  It's been working great for over 2 years.  :cheers:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 12:27:32 PM »
a 5750 is really low end, even with a meager 6870 you would see a HUGE improvement.

a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T is a 6 core CPU, you could run a 3DSmax rendering in the background and Aces high would still be smooth probably :P
let me ask.. if its a low end why do people claim to play Crisis 2 and/or Black ops with it? those games are far more advanced graphically then AH....just saying.

im aware i have a 6 core CPU, but AH only uses 1 core of it.

i role with AH open, and mozilla with 6 tabs. mozilla takes upa good bit of space no doubt, but why would 5 free cores not be able to handle it?

if i could dedicate AH to a single core and isolate that core for STRICTLY AH i think i would be happening right now until i save up the money for a 6970....
HogDweeb

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 01:31:08 PM »
AH uses two cores (at least). You can set the affinity for each running program and choose which core they are using. Just start the program and then Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to TaskManager. Right click a program, choose Set Affinity and tick any core(s) you want to be used for that specific application. That's the way to do it in XP, probably the same in newer OSes, too.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 02:57:21 PM »
AH uses two cores (at least). You can set the affinity for each running program and choose which core they are using. Just start the program and then Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to TaskManager. Right click a program, choose Set Affinity and tick any core(s) you want to be used for that specific application. That's the way to do it in XP, probably the same in newer OSes, too.
uses two cores on an itnel CPU, only one on an AMD.

when i go to set affinity, it says access is denied, the operation could not be performed  :headscratch:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:13:54 PM by MaSonZ »
HogDweeb

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 10:15:50 AM »
let me ask.. if its a low end why do people claim to play Crisis 2 and/or Black ops with it? those games are far more advanced graphically then AH....just saying.

im aware i have a 6 core CPU, but AH only uses 1 core of it.

i role with AH open, and mozilla with 6 tabs. mozilla takes upa good bit of space no doubt, but why would 5 free cores not be able to handle it?

if i could dedicate AH to a single core and isolate that core for STRICTLY AH i think i would be happening right now until i save up the money for a 6970....

A snailman would say, a good graph beats a lot of text

Regarding the web browser in background, it will run fine as long as you don't have any flash videos (youtube) or apps running, these will kill your performance...don't ask me why!
now posting as SirNuke