Author Topic: AI gunnery in Bombers is it fair  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
AI gunnery in Bombers is it fair
« on: September 09, 2011, 11:02:13 AM »
AI Gunnery , is it fair as presented in the game.

The fact that one person can control three separate aircraft is gammy enough , but does the fact that one pilot controls additional guns and that the AI gunnery is laser accurate.  That where ever the human points the gun, the AI can hit the exact same spot at the exact same time is not only gammy but totally unrealistic and would seem to give the defender an unfair advantage. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: AI gunnery in Bombers is it fair
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »

I think it is fair, yes.

If you are having a difficult time attacking buff formations I invite you to wing with me.  I am by no means the best but I am willing to show you how to increase your chances of killing them AND living to land them sir <S>.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:32:12 AM »
Well you haven't come up against my bombers!

Like flying fighters, or gving, some people are very good at shooting from buffs. Others like me are not so good. If attacked right most buffs can be shot down easily.

I have no problem with how the guns work on the buffs. Any changes would make them ridiculously easy to shoot down.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 12:04:58 PM »

The fact that one person can control three separate aircraft is gammy enough , but does the fact that one pilot controls additional guns and that the AI gunnery is laser accurate.  That where ever the human points the gun, the AI can hit the exact same spot at the exact same time is not only gammy but totally unrealistic and would seem to give the defender an unfair advantage. 

I think they're fine the way they are.  If you attack properly, the chances of survival are reasonable.  If you set up your attack poorly, the chances of survival drop drastically, as it should be.

Set up your attack from the front quarters high or directly above, make slashing attacks, keep it fast.  Do not forget to maneuver to avoid their gunnery on your way out past 1000 yards.  If you do that, only about 1 in 10 or so bomber pilots will be able to do meaningful damage to you.  Even then, they've got to do a lot right if you're evading slightly on the way in.  The most common problem with people dying to bombers IMO is they don't take the time to set up their attack runs properly, from high and in front/to the sides.  An extra minute climbing and gaining a bit of speed can be the difference between getting wasted on the way in, and not being touched at all.

If the bomber's handle is 999000 or one of the other top shelf bomber gunners, just accept that some people are freakishly good gunners and know how to defend their bombers extremely well, don't take it as an indication it's too easy for bomber pilots.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:53:55 PM »
Um AI gunnery?? It's not AI.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »

There is no AI.

If you are referring to the 500 Yard convergence, again you are incorrect. They do not hit exactly at exactly that point.

Quite simply draw a line from the gun you are sitting in extended in your aiming direction. Put a mark 500 Yards out on this line.

All guns in your plane shoot parallel to the line.

Take the center point of each other plane and draw a line from that point to the point above.

All guns in the in each plane shoot parallel to their corresponding line.

HiTech

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 01:13:08 PM »
If you shoot down the first buff in the group of 3 and the message says: "You have shot down 999000", immediately disengage, count your lucky stars, salute him, thank him, scream to your squaddies you killed him, run like a girl for home, and then most importantly warn everyone within 3 sectors where he is and watch the skies clear around his aircraft.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 01:17:13 PM »
If you shoot down the first buff in the group of 3 and the message says: "You have shot down 999000", immediately disengage, count your lucky stars, salute him, thank him, scream to your squaddies you killed him, run like a girl for home, and then most importantly warn everyone within 3 sectors where he is and watch the skies clear around his aircraft.

... and then you move on to the next set of bombers to find out it's Tatertot ... :O
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 01:34:13 PM »
... and then you move on to the next set of bombers to find out it's Tatertot ... :O

Never run into Tatertot, all I know is I once got a ping from 999000's bombers while flying parallel to him getting set up when my distance marker said '1.6K'.  I went elsewhere to find something to shoot at.

I know it was a 1 in 1,000,000 fluke, but it got into my head. :)

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »
There is no AI.

If you are referring to the 500 Yard convergence, again you are incorrect. They do not hit exactly at exactly that point.

Quite simply draw a line from the gun you are sitting in extended in your aiming direction. Put a mark 500 Yards out on this line.

All guns in your plane shoot parallel to the line.

Take the center point of each other plane and draw a line from that point to the point above.

All guns in the in each plane shoot parallel to their corresponding line.

HiTech

You lost me at "There is no AI".  :D Seriously thank you for the descriptor of how it works.  As to the OP's post... :rolleyes:
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 02:07:55 PM »
The OP is so far off from how it works it isn't even funny.

AI like he describes would not be fair, no.  What we have in AH is not only fair, it makes the guns on the other two bombers boderline useless.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »
AI like he describes would not be fair, no.  What we have in AH is not only fair, it makes the guns on the other two bombers boderline useless.
Yeah, they are just burning holes in the air (except if the fighter is dumb enough to park 500 yards out).

Offline Acidrain

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »
guns are fine its being able to up a formation that is gamey.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 05:56:43 PM »
Yeah, they are just burning holes in the air (except if the fighter is dumb enough to park 500 yards out).
What they do give is additional chances to hit when your aim is off.  If you are in the lead bomber and miss your shot, well, maybe a missed shot for the lead bomber is a hit for bomber #2.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 06:15:21 PM »
What they do give is additional chances to hit when your aim is off.  If you are in the lead bomber and miss your shot, well, maybe a missed shot for the lead bomber is a hit for bomber #2.
Yeah if the bandit is between ~450-550 and the you aim is only off in the horizontal.