Author Topic: Play quality  (Read 6737 times)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Re: Play quality
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2011, 07:01:22 AM »
Changed, flight models are more accurate I'm told (I'll defer to HTC and crew as I havent a fracken clue but he's always cared about his product from that standpoint beyond any doubt).

Cost: Subscription price changed and this brought in an influx of "younger" players w/out the "old school" mentality (I'll let you gents decide what that means to you)

Other than that.... I'd say from my coming and going is that the "sample" population has grown larger and thus we have a larger group of that specific group that annoys the crap out of us.... whatever it might be, haha.

I DO remember cruising around at 15k in my 38 looking for 1 on 1's or if I had some E maybe a 2 on 1 and typically finding several every evening. I dont think you have that anymore... simply to many toons in the air and people want to get that kill so they move in.

I'm back for abit, I always come back to this place so that MUST say SOMETHING?

Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2011, 09:12:40 AM »

You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you,  you and all your silly English Kin-nig-ets.

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

WOOT Monty Python
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2011, 09:34:20 AM »
Even though I haven't logged in to play for almost a year now, I can tell what finally had me move on to a different game....

And this is just my opinion.....so don't get defensive....

Besides periodic graphic upgrades the game never really got better....no new strategy/fighting was ever introduced...at some point one wants to do something different or at least not so repetitive....

I stayed as long as i did because i honestly did not know how amazing other online games had become...the graphics are stunning, the fighting is awesome but there are also "stuff" to accomplish (better gear/better abilities).  A reason to log on if you will....by the end i logged on to AH only out of commitment to my ingame friends/squad.

I understand what shuffler is saying but dude its been >12 years now....how much longer are you going to play a "flight sim" that never changes????  You may not like "the win the war" aspect but it is honestly the only goal oriented accomplishment there is.
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »
someone found wow and guild wars...  :lol
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2011, 09:55:46 AM »
Last night I logged on and there was a great fight going on in late war, there was a fur ball going on at the same time that they were upping fighters to defend theirs,  I flew a coupla sorties, and had a blast got a few assists, and a few kills.  There were more check sixs and more people helping get the bogy of my tail which happened often.  Channel 200 was not that bad, and there was not much complaining, or smack talking.  I enjoyed it until the 17 pound wife ack got to me and gave me a pilot wound.  The game may have changed, and it has, my old squad used to up vehicles, and fighters along with 110s and we could take a base in no time, but it is not that easy anymore.  Don't get me wrong it is still fun, I still enjoy getting into the fights, and it is still a challenge.  Taking the bases is harder than it used to be, but we used to be able to do it with 3 or 4 people, now it just takes a little extra effort. 

I love the iPad but the auto spell and spell correct really sucks.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Even though I haven't logged in to play for almost a year now, I can tell what finally had me move on to a different game....

the graphics are stunning, the fighting is awesome but there are also "stuff" to accomplish (better gear/better abilities).  A reason to log on if you will.

Yes but  after you have  gotten all the  epic Lewts from the  end game  content  and have  fought the  same  exact fight  by hitting the  same 1-0 buttons  you will be  bored  until the expansion comes out , after 4 months  you will once again have all the epic lewts  and be bored. The  "stuff" to accomplish is just the carrot on the stick. Get your  gear  and you sit for months with nothing to do  until the new set of  gear comes  out.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2011, 10:17:57 AM »
I knew this thread would roll when I started it. I'll give my own opinions shortly. I just want to read what the older, and classier, players are saying and think about it some more.

Personally, like myself, I think a lot of the older players simply done "game" as much as we used to. Thats part of the answer.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »
I knew this thread would roll when I started it. I'll give my own opinions shortly. I just want to read what the older, and classier, players are saying and think about it some more.

Personally, like myself, I think a lot of the older players simply done "game" as much as we used to. Thats part of the answer.
have you tried  any of the other areas of the  game other than MA or DA? The FSO, Snapshots, Racing leagues, AVA Heavy metal sundays  all offer up different  things to  do. If you live in the MA fighting the same  figths  all the time this game can and will get boring. thats  why there are so many different special events there are even new  special events being set up through the create-a-server like the  new SSO.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2011, 10:41:53 AM »
And who creates the strategies? If we go by Webster's...

Strat´e`gy
n.   1.   The science of military command, or the science of projecting campaigns and directing great military movements; generalship.
   2.   The use of stratagem or artifice.

So its up to the players to create the strategy. The problem with the players today is that a vast majority don't want to "play" the game they only want to win it as quickly as they can. Even if a player spent the time to organize a strategy, made plans using vehicles and planes, over laying missions and forcing battles along a wide front that would run for 4 hours it wouldn't be nearly as must fun or immersive as you would think because of how the "defending" players would react.

Just playing Devils Advocate here...  but isn't part of being a General winning a victory as quickly as possible?

From the Art of War:  "There has never been a protracted war from which a country has benefited."
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2011, 12:07:04 PM »
Just playing Devils Advocate here...  but isn't part of being a General winning a victory as quickly as possible?

From the Art of War:  "There has never been a protracted war from which a country has benefited."

What war?  What victory?  The 'war' never ends.  All that happens is the map resets.  But taking bases has become like watching hamsters hit the feeder bar.  It becomes the only thing for some folks and any resistance to them getting to the feeder bar is met by looking for an easier to get to feeder bar.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »
I understand what shuffler is saying but dude its been >12 years now....how much longer are you going to play a "flight sim" that never changes????  You may not like "the win the war" aspect but it is honestly the only goal oriented accomplishment there is.

Different people have different goals.  I'm not sure that in five years of AW and nearly 10 in AH that I've ever had two fights that were precisely the same.  I get at least one good air-to-air fight almost every time I log on.  So long as that keeps happening, I'm achieving my goal in this game.

- oldman

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2011, 01:51:21 PM »
What war?  What victory?  The 'war' never ends.  All that happens is the map resets.  But taking bases has become like watching hamsters hit the feeder bar.  It becomes the only thing for some folks and any resistance to them getting to the feeder bar is met by looking for an easier to get to feeder bar.

The victory is when the map is reset and the few perk points are won.  As for the war never ending what would one expect to happen in this virtual world, win the war and the losers computers blows up?  Game sure wouldn't last long.

As for the base taking, maybe that what they like to do.  Maybe they like the path of least resistance.  Maybe they like watching buildings blow up.  Who know, the point is, maybe they are having fun and I seem to never see them on the BBS complaining about game play.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »
The victory is when the map is reset and the few perk points are won.  As for the war never ending what would one expect to happen in this virtual world, win the war and the losers computers blows up?  Game sure wouldn't last long.

As for the base taking, maybe that what they like to do.  Maybe they like the path of least resistance.  Maybe they like watching buildings blow up.  Who know, the point is, maybe they are having fun and I seem to never see them on the BBS complaining about game play.

Fred

You said the key word Fred.  'game sure wouldn't last long".   "Game" it is.

You win a free blown up building.  Thanks for playing :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2011, 03:41:20 PM »
Who know, the point is, maybe they are having fun and I seem to never see them on the BBS complaining about game play.

oh yeah they do.. new towns too hard. how do you think we got the white flag?. one of the old knight generals even complained about the frickin _layout_ of the new bases when they came out because he'd have to re-learn them.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »

And this is just my opinion.....so don't get defensive....

Besides periodic graphic upgrades the game never really got better....no new strategy/fighting was ever introduced...at some point one wants to do something different or at least not so repetitive....

I stayed as long as i did because i honestly did not know how amazing other online games had become...the graphics are stunning, the fighting is awesome but there are also "stuff" to accomplish (better gear/better abilities).  A reason to log on if you will....by the end i logged on to AH only out of commitment to my ingame friends/squad.

FalconWing, I use to hate you guys. You were one of the firsts "horde" type missions I ran into. Sure now and then country wide little general would get everyone pointed in the same direction now and then and create a horde, but you guys were an organized horde and you knew when it was squad night and you were in for a long night. But I'd take you guys back in a heartbeat at this point.

You guys fought! Sure your groups were large most of the time but you didn't make that one run at a base and then disappeared. If a decent number of guys upped to defend the fights would last until you guy took the base and moved onto the next strategic base in line. You guys didn't run willy-nilly all over the map looking for undefended bases. You took bases with a purpose. This V base because it spawns to that airfield and so on.

Your mega missions also helped to create the issues. Let face it, fighting against the horde is tough and a thankless "job". More often that not your out numbered, heavily, and "they" have the alt and speed (E) which more often than not is the deciding factor in a fight. So less and less people up to defend, because it just isn't fun. Next thing you know Your missions are rolling over base after base with ease. There is no challenge, it's easy and repetitious, and becomes boring. Your doing the same old thing mission after mission. By the time you called it quits I'll bet you weren't even assigning targets or directing the missions any more because they all knew what they were to do and just did it.

The "win the war" crowd is what is suppose to generate most of the combat in the game. Even back in Falconwings time this worked because they fought, so defenders defended. Todays players don't even bother to fight. If they run into opposition they just disappear and pop up at some other undefended area of the map looking for that quick grab again.

Again, most players don't "play" the game, they just run through as quick as they can guns blazing yelling LEROY JENKINS at the top of their lungs.