Author Topic: barrage balloons  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: barrage balloons
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 02:53:51 PM »
Thats what I meant.  I don't know if they should be easy to shoot down though, thinking the bullets just pass through.  I was thinkng they might be interesting over ports and vh bases. Maybe they would use gobbs of computer power though.  The only source I looked at said their ceiling was 1500 meters.

He 111H-8 with balloon cutting cables.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 09:46:15 AM »
are the balloons gona have f3 view?  cause I don't want to see threads whining about how some guy doesn't want too stop using it, it's gaming blah, blah blah.   

so if you want them then you better start discussing it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »
are the balloons gona have f3 view?  cause I don't want to see threads whining about how some guy doesn't want too stop using it, it's gaming blah, blah blah.   

semp

Some folks will whine about anything, can't be avoided. Some whine about not whining or the method in which one does whine.
I'm sure there are some who would whine about about what I just typed.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »

semp
ww2 barrage ballons would be unmanned, so f3 mode would be a non factor. the way in which they would be deployed could be an interesting discussion...  :headscratch:  would they have a specific downtime before re-spawning or once down they remain down until the base changes country ownership? would they even add anything to playability or end up just being another point to whine about base captures?

Some folks will whine about anything, can't be avoided. Some whine about not whining or the method in which one does whine.
I'm sure there are some who would whine about about what I just typed.
i don't like the spirit in which you posted that  :rolleyes:   :cry   :cry   htc needs to fix it or else!!!  :cry   :cry   :cry   :cry 

:lol   :rofl   :lol   :rofl   :lol   :rofl   :lol    :D
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »
I'm for it, just as long as the balloons will damage friendly and enemy planes. Barrage balloons that friendlies can fly through unharmed would be an ack runner's wet dream.
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
"Would they add anything to playability?"  Thats the hat pin that pops the balloon.  I don't know, in pembquist's fantasy land barrage balloons wouldn't be at every vbase or port.  Where they were deployed they would not all be in the same locations (like base ack is) but would be random and at random altitudes.  The cables would be invisible, (why they put orange balls on power lines,) and would shred foe or friend.  They would not disolve with one or two rounds of cannon fire but would be a little hard to shoot down so they wouldn't be arcade targets (ack that doesnt' shoot back.)  When shot down they would slowly reappear in a different place, same base, slowly winching up to some new altitude.  When shot down they would slowly descend in a ball of fire with their cable festooning the ground and decapitating unlucky troops in m3s or parachutes (ok thats' too much.)  They could also be deployed by an M3 for someone that wants to geek out.  These player deployed balloons would not come back automatically.  The best part is if a gv blasts the anchor point of a balloon it goes adrift climbing to its equilibrium altitude and floating around with a 1000 yard invisible cable like crude aerial landmine.

I'm guessing most players would be unimpressed by all this but thats kind of where my thinking goes.  I'd like to see some difference between the bases and towns but still keep them common enough that the game is very playable (not 5 different maps for vbases for example.)  I have a bunch of other impractical ideas to make bases different from each other (2nd off base vh for example,) but I'll keep them to myself as I don't want to make more stupid threads that will irritate readers who like things the way they are.

Pies not kicks.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 10:40:06 PM »
XJazz developed them for a while, then H2H was shut-down.

Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 12:21:35 AM »
what you need to ask yourself is who would be the one able to deploy the balloons and at what point? if it's anybody, there would be such an argument as there is now with the cv commanders.  nobody would be happy.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 02:45:45 AM »
The deployment of multiple balloons would be something that happened automatically either randomly or with some kind of consideration for terrain design.  Individual deployment with the M3 (a substitute for whatever you really used to deploy balloons) would be one per sortie, would take time and wouldn't regenerate if shot down, thats why I used the phrase "geek out" to describe this pastime.  I don't think anybody would be fighting over this honor, whats more anybody so inclined could do it.  I suppose with an army of geeks you could end up with a 100 balloons over town, that would be special.  You might get some chuckle heads deploying them in the middle of the runway, that would be unfortunate.
Pies not kicks.