Author Topic: P51 Mustang into the crowd at the Reno Races just now  (Read 7454 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Re: P51 Mustang into the crowd at the Reno Races just now
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2011, 09:29:11 AM »
yeah, I hear ya CAP.  I dont think Ive ever gone over 99mph and THAT was too damned fast.  I enjoy being rooted firmly on the ground.  I do enjoy watching others go fast though, from a good distance.

Actually, this last June I got to go 325 mph. Peaked out at 4G.

In a P-51 Mustang.

With hands on throttle and joystick....

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:31:34 AM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2011, 10:25:39 AM »

Actually, this last June I got to go 325 mph. Peaked out at 4G.

In a P-51 Mustang.

With hands on throttle and joystick....

braggart!!!

:aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2011, 10:57:14 AM »
braggart!!!

:aok

Well, I managed to keep it bottled up for 3 months...that ought to be worth something!

Definitely a "bucket list" experience. I'm almost done with an AAR, and I'm lining up the photos for the post. More to follow.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2011, 11:07:14 AM »
Well, I managed to keep it bottled up for 3 months...that ought to be worth something!

Definitely a "bucket list" experience. I'm almost done with an AAR, and I'm lining up the photos for the post. More to follow.

definite coolness. any vid too?

a couple of times, i had watched the feed from the cameras at warbird adventures on kissimmee gateway airport......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #154 on: September 27, 2011, 11:55:40 AM »

Please do post.  Lots of folks would love to see it.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2011, 01:44:24 PM »
Another new picture surfaced

and may explain the up and down tail wheel in the video waldo posted.

http://jonathanturley.org/2011/09/21/new-picture-shows-pilot-missing-in-galloping-ghost-shortly-before-fatal-crash/#more-39722
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2011, 02:00:33 PM »
a dam pretty bird that is. notice the two holes lower left of the 177. This was the vent for the boil off colling system. adapted from the space shuttle.

side note: I would like to know more about the concave wing.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2011, 02:02:45 PM »
There are some pictures around that are perhaps photoshopped fakes. This looks like one of them based on several factors (it is perfectly aligned on the 9 o'clock level point of view; even the prop is perfectly aligned; there is no bluriness at all, not even on the prop; no vapor coming out of the radiator-cooling ports, which is a feature of this racer's particular design; if you look at the video, it looks unlikely that there is anyone at the position needed to get this particular angle; the reflection in the prop hub looks like it shows a horizon with other airplanes parked on the ground or a few buildings).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:16:17 PM by Brooke »

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2011, 02:29:58 PM »
That's a similar picture (slightly enlarged and the photo is rotated 90º) to one that was released day-of the race and started circulating.  It's legitimate.

Leeward is pinned forward, the tailwheel is forced down due to excessive G force, the propeller is spinning and the reflection/refraction in the canopy is correct.

Take note of this photo:

Same features, different angle.

The "original" version of the photo I saw day-of the crash.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2011, 04:26:56 PM »
I'm not disputing the features (tail wheel down, head down).  Those are apparent in other pictures and frames of videos.  I'm not a photography expert, but the picture with no blurring of the prop (and other aspects that I mention) looks fake to me.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2011, 06:51:31 PM »
I'm not disputing the features (tail wheel down, head down).  Those are apparent in other pictures and frames of videos.  I'm not a photography expert, but the picture with no blurring of the prop (and other aspects that I mention) looks fake to me.

Incredi-fast shutter speeds are capable of such photos, especially with digitally enhanced stabilization as well as a tripod.
Looks real to me.

As an example, I took this picture of a fan moving at the fastest rate the fan could go, with a rather crappy little point & shoot camera.

Thumbnail, 3MB file size when clicked.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:55:59 PM by EskimoJoe »
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2011, 07:05:31 PM »
I'm not disputing the features (tail wheel down, head down).  Those are apparent in other pictures and frames of videos.  I'm not a photography expert, but the picture with no blurring of the prop (and other aspects that I mention) looks fake to me.

I can easily freeze a prop with shutter speed.... Especially when viewed from the side.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Waldo

• Copper Member
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »

There is a forum for photographers, with 1900+ pages of aircraft photos and techniques. There is a lot of discussion about prop blur and how to achieve it as it is
desirable in photos of aircraft.

There are also some pics of 30mm rounds exiting the gun of an A10.   :O   They like to challenge themselves.
I read it on the internet, so it must be true !

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2011, 07:21:13 PM »
I'm not disputing the features (tail wheel down, head down).  Those are apparent in other pictures and frames of videos.  I'm not a photography expert, but the picture with no blurring of the prop (and other aspects that I mention) looks fake to me.

You're right, you're not a photography expert.  :lol

Actually it's hard NOT to freeze the prop when shooting planes against a bright sky, I like to get prop motion blur when I photograph airshows and it is difficult.  You need to shoot a slower shutter speed and pan with the aircraft in order to keep the aircraft sharp and also have prop blur.

If you just leave your camera on auto-meter on a sunny day looking up at the sky the shutter speed will always be very high (likely 1/2000s or faster) and freeze the prop.  I shoot an fly-in a few weeks back and shooting at 5.6 and ISO 100 I was getting shutter speeds of 1/3000s or faster  I had to stop down to 8 and use a ND filter and polarizer to get down to a 1/160 shutter speed that would give me nice prop blur.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2011, 08:16:43 PM »
You can get that effect with video footage as well. Nothing new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltMPMz37VPk&feature=related

This one is particularly funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVSh-au_9aM&NR=1
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:21:13 PM by PR3D4TOR »
No gods or kings. Only Predator.