Author Topic: a sad, sad day  (Read 3613 times)

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
a sad, sad day
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:42:38 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/3-dead-more-50-hurt-nev-air-race-085035102.html

:cry :cry :cry

that pilot is a hero... giving his life to stop his plane from crashing into the grandstands.......
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
Re: a sad, sad day
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:02:02 AM »
I heard about this... It seems like I have so much to say, that I have no idea what to say.  :uhoh

:angel: :salute

BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »
sux not like there are plenty of 51's left.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »
I doubt very much that the pilot was in control at all... A similar incident occurred at the 1998 Nationals when Voodoo lost a trim tab and pitched up generating 10g. Pilot GLOC'd and woke up at 9,000 feet... This P-51 also lost a trim tab, and the result was probably GLOC. In this case, he wasn't as lucky....

Yesterday...

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »
Widewing,
In this case, multiple video recording from various angles shows a defining change of course most attribute to a last second control input by the pilot. We may or may not ever know one way or the other, but the FAA was on site and working before the last of the victims was removed from the area, and I am sure they will have the final word.
In the mean time, I choose to believe that Jimmy did make a conscious effort to save the spectators he saw below him while inverted and rolling in.
Jimmy Leeward, rest his soul, was a true professional, and one of the nicest race pilots I ever had the pleasure to meet in all the years I have been attending the RARA event and prowling the pit area at Stead Airport.

The fact that accidents do happen is a given, but the absolute stupidity of the media is beyond me. Why "the talking heads" have to talk, just to get some air time, and why their higher ups can't get them some information prior to question and answer times in this day of instant communication really torks my jaws.
Point...reporter's asked Mike (Mike Houghton, president and CEO of Reno Air Races), the following questions:
"How old was this airplane?"
(The reporter didn't know it was a WWII aircraft),
"Had this plane been modified in any way?"
(Hell yes, it is in the unlimited class, you idiot),
"Is it possible there was a parts failure leading up to this crash?"
(Here's your sign...)
And these same people are telling you about the news of the day.

Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »
hey HB,

I talked to Mars from TSM last night, he was wondering if u was at the races this year and wanted to make sure u was ok. I am glad to see that you posted because I have a different phone and lost a few hundred phone numbers UGGGGGGGGG...or i would have called you. I am glad that your safe and ok, i will also let mars know that you posted on here so he will know ur ok also.

take care sir <<S>>

~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 02:17:01 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:44:51 AM by Skuzzy »
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 02:30:02 PM »
Betty, will PM you my number. My phone rang off the hook last night. Talk about good friends!
Employer would not let me have Friday off, so was not there. Kind of glad I did not witness the crash, but it was right in the vicinity of where I normally sit, and where surf35, his bride, and I were last year when they were my guests at the event.

muzik,
To save skuzzy a lot of work, and because you are obviously not worth the ink to respond to, I edited this part of this post.
Thank you for your input into this, but your "80 frkn years old" factoid is wrong. Jimmy was a mere youth of 74.
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 02:31:09 PM »
Any sane person in the world would do anything they could to avoid going into the crowd. As a matter of fact anyone's first reaction would be to pull out of that dive for self preservation. Either way, what he did was not heroic, it was his obligation.

This is what I was just about to say, most people would try to pull up from a nose dive straight into the ground. Not saying he is to blame as it was a mechanical error (broken trim tab), but yeah...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:35:34 PM by bagrat »
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:44:22 AM by Skuzzy »
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline steveb999

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »
sux not like there are plenty of 51's left.

Yes. That's the tragedy here. A P-51 was lost..........  :(

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »
     We also lost at least 3 people, which are alot harder to replace.  The Mustang is the most popular warbird still
flying, with about 150 left last time I checked.  Reno racers may have started as P-51s, but they little resemble the
originals now.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 04:10:09 PM »
<snip>
Hero? No! Geriatric glory hound, yes!

Yes. That's the tragedy here. A P-51 was lost..........  :(

Both those beg a response but I'll stick with "no Comment."

And for olds442, and Acidrain... http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,320371.0.html .

Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 04:12:47 PM »
second plane crash in just two days. This time a T-28 Trojan

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2011/09/plane-crashes-during-air-show-in-w-va--66685.html

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 04:51:13 PM »
     We also lost at least 3 people, which are alot harder to replace.  The Mustang is the most popular warbird still
flying, with about 150 left last time I checked.  Reno racers may have started as P-51s, but they little resemble the
originals now.

It's up to 9 now according to ABC. I was reading somewhere that they had recently done a lot of modifications to the plane prior to this years race which included narrowing the wings among other things. Hopefully, none of the changes were a direct result in the crash.
"strafing"