Author Topic: "u've had it" & "Evalina"  (Read 2835 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
"u've had it" & "Evalina"
« on: September 20, 2011, 02:59:55 PM »
getting very close to finishing these..... looking for input  :old:

and a sneak peak at whats in the works :D

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: "u've had it" & "Evalina"
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:11:37 PM »
Not bad :aok I think there is to stark a difference to your bare metal finish & the silver painted areas on the wings. A little more detail maybe with the panel lines on the painted areas?

Looking good though.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »
Not bad :aok I think there is to stark a difference to your bare metal finish & the silver painted areas on the wings. A little more detail maybe with the panel lines on the painted areas?

Looking good though.

maybe just make them overall darker :headscratch:

I saw pics of the painted wings and only under certain angle can you see the rivets/panel lines.

thanx for input :salute

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:31:04 PM »
Nice job ink. 

What's up with the missing checkerboard under the nose on "You've Had It"?   I think the checkerboard wraps all the way around.

The fuel spill stains from the fuselage tank are way too dark, and I wonder whether they should have so much wind sweep to them.  Fuel is pretty volatile and spills would evaporate pretty quicky; probably before the plane's engine was started.   I think the tail serial number should be black paint, not yellow.

The blue in Evalina's star insignia seems too light - I think is was a deep navy blue; rather than a medium blue.

<S>

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:35:22 PM »
Nice job ink. 

What's up with the missing checkerboard under the nose on "You've Had It"?   I think the checkerboard wraps all the way around.

The fuel spill stains from the fuselage tank are way too dark, and I wonder whether they should have so much wind sweep to them.  Fuel is pretty volatile and spills would evaporate pretty quicky; probably before the plane's engine was started.   I think the tail serial number should be black paint, not yellow.

The blue in Evalina's star insignia seems too light - I think is was a deep navy blue; rather than a medium blue.

<S>

checkerboard is dirt covered...cc on everything else, will work it a bit more

:salute

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 04:24:27 PM »
U've Had It! looks good so far. But I agree on the issues that the fuel stains and dirt on the nose are over done. I take it that you havent tried the OD on the upper surfaces or invasion stripes yet. Also, the white area in the national insignia looks like a light blue and not white.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 04:54:27 PM »
U've Had It! looks good so far. But I agree on the issues that the fuel stains and dirt on the nose are over done. I take it that you havent tried the OD on the upper surfaces or invasion stripes yet. Also, the white area in the national insignia looks like a light blue and not white.

doh

:rofl

ok so I am not as close as I thought :rofl

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 06:37:12 AM »
/art critique skin nazi mode on danger!

theres no detail on any of these and nothing about them looks realistic.

you can do better.

less marking variants more detail on the actual plane. if your gonna make multiple skins for one plane make them unique. cut n paste nose art with  different letters that can't be seen in flight anyway on mulitple skin slots...  nails on a chalk board.

I of course sound like a skin nazi because I am a skin nazi. my withering critiques are harsh and ruthless but reserved for only those with hope of improving. I do not have any interest in picking on the majority that just skins for fun and has no hope of improving.

once you've gotten the basics with the art experience you have had you are capable of moving beyond the run of the mill casual skin experimenters.

bare metal is difficult because you have to use baked in reflection mapping for any hope of realism.

your rivet and panel lines are not realistic. find ways to make them realistic.

the weathering is not realistic. use photographs of warbirds. there are millions of pictures online to use as reference both from ww2 and of airshow warbirds or even modern piston engined aircraft. they get dirty the same way they did in the 1940s.

clean the skins up more the areas where texturemaps meet should be very precise and blended together even though they do not touch on the bitmap they need to match on the actual 3d model.

use anti aliased edges for a less pixelated jagged look that meshes together better.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 06:46:57 AM by Citabria »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 07:08:36 AM »
OMFG!!! JUG SKIN!!! :x :x :x :x :x

looks nice ink, really liking the first skin you did on the 51. :aok

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 05:47:49 PM »
/art critique skin nazi mode on danger!

theres no detail on any of these and nothing about them looks realistic.

you can do better.

less marking variants more detail on the actual plane. if your gonna make multiple skins for one plane make them unique. cut n paste nose art with  different letters that can't be seen in flight anyway on mulitple skin slots...  nails on a chalk board.

I of course sound like a skin nazi because I am a skin nazi. my withering critiques are harsh and ruthless but reserved for only those with hope of improving. I do not have any interest in picking on the majority that just skins for fun and has no hope of improving.

once you've gotten the basics with the art experience you have had you are capable of moving beyond the run of the mill casual skin experimenters.

bare metal is difficult because you have to use baked in reflection mapping for any hope of realism.

your rivet and panel lines are not realistic. find ways to make them realistic.

the weathering is not realistic. use photographs of warbirds. there are millions of pictures online to use as reference both from ww2 and of airshow warbirds or even modern piston engined aircraft. they get dirty the same way they did in the 1940s.

clean the skins up more the areas where texturemaps meet should be very precise and blended together even though they do not touch on the bitmap they need to match on the actual 3d model.

use anti aliased edges for a less pixelated jagged look that meshes together better.

[/quote

:rofl

im listening......err reading......what ya say

OMFG!!! JUG SKIN!!! :x :x :x :x :x

looks nice ink, really liking the first skin you did on the 51. :aok

thanx

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »
ok Fester you got me all riled up to make these skins as realistic as possible (in a good way)

push.....push.....push only way to get better.

honestly I am not sure what else or how to go about what you are talking about, I have worked my butt off on this since your reply (which I very much appreciate) ....I see a couple things I need to fine tune like the top of fuselage and the anti glare..... and the very bottom... is a bit tricky the way the 3d model reads/wraps the bitmap.

I tried to do what you suggested to my understanding of what you were saying....here are the results, like I said I see two areas that need work....is there more? 

and if you see something obviously wrong.. could you explain your technique to achieve that "look" I have read many tutorials...but I am still very new to this and any input is appreciated especially "technique's"

and anyone have input its always appreciated  :salute

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 02:45:48 PM »
might wanna tone down the white on the wings by a few shades, they look kinda bright.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »
looks great Ink.........

as long as i dont have to fly it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener:
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 03:39:31 PM »
I have to agree with Fester. Keep up the hard work, ink. Most people don't make it this far in skinning and dealing with the criticisms from the AH community.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »
Lookin good Ink.
Couple of points though.
1. Stripes in wings too narrow.
2. Top of wings should be OD like the top of the fuselage.
3. There should be 9 kill marks under the canopy. And the their shape is circular not square.
A pic to illustrate.

I cant wait to see this one in the game.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com