Author Topic: 109 g6 vs g2  (Read 3244 times)

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: 109 g6 vs g2
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 06:36:55 PM »
IMO i'd take the G6 over the G2 due to the nose MG's. .50 cals do the job quicker than .30's the roll rate seems about the same to me, and turning ability falls in the G2 but only by a bit.

if i were you, i'd stick with the G6.

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 09:00:16 PM »
G2 for me too.  Not because it looks better on paper, but because it feels a lot lighter, climbs better, and has slightly better views.  Of course the F is nice, but it lacks that little bit of speed when you really need it.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 09:10:17 PM »
  Of course the F is nice, but it lacks that little bit of speed when you really need it.
well its WEP seems to last all day...guess that could help in a pinch if your fighting an equally slow plane.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 03:42:42 AM »
G2 for me too.  Not because it looks better on paper, but because it feels a lot lighter, climbs better, and has slightly better views. 
G2 looks better on paper and looks better in the air too. It just looks better.

Looks is more important than 0.3 vs. 0.5 secondary guns. When I go down in flames my guns don't matter, but at least I look good.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 05:14:45 AM »
Love both birds.  G2 is slightly better in all aspects.  I have never had issues with the guns on the G2.  Just never relied on the machine guns for a kill.  I set the machines guns convergence to 500 (just to tickle the opponent - get'm to turn etc.).  I set the cannon to 400.

I take the G6 on occasion because it is slightly more difficult to get into a firing solution.  More challenging.

Also, in my style\skillset, all the little differences DO make a difference.  So I do all I can to keep my birds light.  No gondolas (unless bomber hunting) or bombs (bomb mount points slow the bird down slightly 5mph +/-).  I take as little fuel as possible, throttle back to save fuel and eventually end up over the target zone with my bird as potent as possible.

It did take me a long time to learn 109s though.  Much longer than most it seems.  Love those birds now.

Slade  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2011, 06:11:20 AM »
G6 for me:

1. Snapshots that really is hurting a G2 ( pilot wound), G6 normally walks away.
2. Extra guns , they give a tracking snapshot kill a chance, whereas the g2 really have to work them over ( over 200 yards I concider 7,9mm useless)
3. Better visibility ,the  improved rear visibility is really something I don't want to be without in a many vs many fight.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2011, 06:15:56 PM »
G2 for the Sexy Yellow nose and turn radios. Plus the perks you can get with it  :aok

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »
G2 for the Sexy Yellow nose and turn radios.
turn radios?  :headscratch:  that explains why i can't turn as tight as i want, the radios are off...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2011, 07:06:25 PM »
turn radios?  :headscratch:  that explains why i can't turn as tight as i want, the radios are off...
:rofl

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2011, 07:16:45 PM »
radius.  :o

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2011, 09:59:01 PM »
Yellow noses only looked good on Emils.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2011, 06:20:32 PM »
Purely anecdotal but FWIW we had this discussion among the squad a while back and Grizz and SunsFan did a series of duels G6 vs. G2 (both participants flying each plane) and the G6 was the clear winner.

Interesting.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2011, 06:25:09 PM »
By the way, for folks who love the G-2 and the G-6, the upcoming scenario, Enemy Coast Ahead, has lots of them.

It's a 1943 matchup on the Channel Front between the RAF and Luftwaffe.  Spits, Typhoons, Mossies, and B-25's vs. 109's, 190's, and Ju 88's.

It runs starting mid November.

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 05:47:21 PM »
So in preparation for the upcoming scenerio I have (unless pressed) put the k4 in the hangar (noooo) and taken both the G2 and G6 out.  I must say. . . the G6 is a lot less stable which, for some really odd reason, is great.  When its slow, i can use the rudder to slide it out a lot easier, the nose swings around a lot faster, and it seems to float - especially with very gentle hangeling it seems to reward me.

I will keep flying both but. . .I think the experts are right on this one. . . even though the G6 seems weaker, its oddly more comfortable to fly.  And yah, the guns do make a difference - oddly enough.

I need to fly the G6 more. . .such a shame I have been overlooking it.  I still prefer the 30mm though - satisfaction of the 30 is hard to top.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 06:06:49 PM »
I suspect in Enemy Coast Ahead, the groups with the ability to take the G-2 will do so, because they specifically registered for those groups vs. the ones that have only the G-6 as a choice.

But, to discuss the merits:

In Battle Over Germany, we were flying around at 34k, where the P-51's and P-47's were 90 mph faster than we were in our G's.  Whether we had a slightly faster, slightly better-turning G-2 didn't matter on that scale, so we went with more firepower.  The G-6 is 1.3 times as lethal as the G-2 in firepower.

In Enemy Coast Ahead, the most-numerous opponent is the Spit 9, with performace very close to that of the 190G, so the bit of extra speed and turning for the G-2 could make more of a difference.  So there, it's a harder call.  More firepower doesn't necessarily trump slightly better speed and turning in that situation.  I think either choice is a decent one there.