Author Topic: 262 help  (Read 2081 times)

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
Re: 262 help
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 11:48:52 PM »
As strange as this sounds, I find It actually easier to land crossing shots. The ballistics are still pwning me ;)

I set convergence to 550/450 and fire all guns.  This is to spread out the 30's more because landing just one usually results in a kill.  That being said I've found that hitting the fuselage of bombers often does NOT result in a kill, It is important to try to aim elsewhere, because you certainly wouldnt want to risk your perks by making another pass.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »
Flying the plane is 1 thing... shooting the guns another.

I'd suggest 109G14, 109K4, Ta152H1 for 30mm practice. The Ta152 isn't as easy to fly but has 50% more ammo. Or practice with the 110G if you need a lot of ammo, but you probably won't survive too long in LWA environs.

In short, get used to the ballistics on more normal craft, then use that lead/computing/mental stuff you gain from them on the 262.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »
If you fly the jet above 5K you're waisting your time. The real lesson in driving jets is to stop worrying about losing them! If you can get this in your head, you will improve in it very quickly!

Grizz and Kappa would agree I'm sure! Those 2 lose plenty of jets, as do I!

:salute

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 11:30:25 AM »
I would like to read more advice on setting up the convergence for a nice shotgun effect.
For example, how far apart in convergence do you gentlemen feel produces this desired effect; my assumption is 100. I'm useto shooting from 400 and in on other rides (I try to do this in 109s but I tend to hit the most at 300 in them). Im thinking of trying a convergence of 500/400 and seeing how that plays out.
I've only taken it out in the MA once so far and only managed to get a kill, on a goon, when it was nearly at my nose :-P
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
I would like to read more advice on setting up the convergence for a nice shotgun effect.
For example, how far apart in convergence do you gentlemen feel produces this desired effect; my assumption is 100. I'm useto shooting from 400 and in on other rides (I try to do this in 109s but I tend to hit the most at 300 in them). Im thinking of trying a convergence of 500/400 and seeing how that plays out.
I've only taken it out in the MA once so far and only managed to get a kill, on a goon, when it was nearly at my nose :-P

Using the .target command offline or in the TA will show you the effect of different convergence settings at different ranges. It will also show you the dispersion at different ranges. For example set convergence to 300 and set the target at 100, 200, 300, etc yards out to 800. Use ".target 100" in the text buffer without the quotes to set the target at 100 yards. Use .target 0 to reset or turn off the target function. You might find that it hardly matters  where you set convergence in the 262 you just need to get close before you shoot.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 09:59:18 PM »
FLS is right but with all four cannons located in the nose you won't get much difference in the lateral dispersion like you do with wing mounts.  Convergence really only affects the vertical dispersal and not really that much. The farther out you set your dispersal and greater the "loft" of the cannon rounds will be in order to counteract drop however, with these cannon set to 650 they will still hit low on a 650yd target, about 1/4 of the typical gunsight diameter.  Set to 200yds you'll get a fairly nice grouping at the right elevation.  By "fairly nice" I mean not bad for the poor ballistics and nothing at all like the pinpoint accuracy of the 50cal's or Hispano 20mm.  Basically you get a "shotgun" pattern anyway with all guns set at the same convergence.  If you set one pair at 200 and the other at 600 you'll end up with a vertically oriented oval pattern vice a circle but I don't think that really helps and you can't really "snipe" with these guns at long range so you'll be wasting a lot of ammo.  I'd set all guns at 200 to 400yds and, if you want to try a long range shot just remember to aim high.  In the end, with the 262 the best bet is to just run him down and kill him close where you can just fire one bank of guns to conserve rounds.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:26:25 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 01:03:20 AM »
FLS is right but with all four cannons located in the nose you won't get much difference in the lateral dispersion like you do with wing mounts.  Convergence really only affects the vertical dispersal and not really that much. The farther out you set your dispersal and greater the "loft" of the cannon rounds will be in order to counteract drop however, with these cannon set to 650 they will still hit low on a 650yd target, about 1/4 of the typical gunsight diameter.  Set to 200yds you'll get a fairly nice grouping at the right elevation.  By "fairly nice" I mean not bad for the poor ballistics and nothing at all like the pinpoint accuracy of the 50cal's or Hispano 20mm.  Basically you get a "shotgun" pattern anyway with all guns set at the same convergence.  If you set one pair at 200 and the other at 600 you'll end up with a vertically oriented oval pattern vice a circle but I don't think that really helps and you can't really "snipe" with these guns at long range so you'll be wasting a lot of ammo.  I'd set all guns at 200 to 400yds and, if you want to try a long range shot just remember to aim high.  In the end, with the 262 the best bet is to just run him down and kill him close where you can just fire one bank of guns to conserve rounds.

I did a test run on the TA with 400/300 and what you said is true. If I aim for the 3rd ring up from the center at 600 out, it will hit roughly in the center. I'll try it with them all set at 400 in a couple of days just to see how similar the spray pattern is. I'm aware of the lofting, I've been trying to play with it on the 109K4, though the balistics of it's 30mm seem far worse than the 262s  :noid(I can't hit anything with the 109K4 30 MM unless it's hanging in the air or I'm right ontop of it. Trying to get better though).

thanks for the helpful info:-D I'll also try my luck sometime with just using a single pare of guns at a time.
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 04:52:35 AM »
I'd worry about first getting your aim where you immediately see how much of a difference such or such convergence settings make, before worrying about convergence possibly diminishing your gunnery.

Timing is more important.  More important to get right before convergence.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 05:13:00 AM »
On landing, start throttling back one sector away, it takes a LONG time to slow down, so you'll need all the room you can get.

I have to disagree with this, the best way to land all fighters is the standard combat landing pattern (see the Help section) because you stay at combat speed all the way to the field, burning off your E with 2x tight, flat turns to land.

Its even more important to do this with the 262 because the acceleration is so bad at low speeds - you really dont want to get jumped 5 miles out from the field bumbling around on the deck at 200mph.  I enter the field at 350-400, @1-2k.

I normally pop out a notch of flaps to help keep the speed down as I descend to the field (the 262 is a very slippery airframe), and as a last resort cross-control is really effective if you come in way too hot.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:15:11 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 06:22:29 AM »
it hardly matters where you set convergence in the 262 you just need to get close before you shoot.

i'm no expert but I've never had a problem with gunnery in the 262.

the above matches my feelings...don't overthink it, just get real close before you let rip
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:25:25 AM by coombz »
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 07:51:52 AM »
IIRC engines off is more draggy than on.   Could be wrong, never actually tested it.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 10:41:34 PM »
you can't really "snipe" with these guns at long range so you'll be wasting a lot of ammo.  

You can if you know the guns ballistics.  Somewhere around here I posted a screen shot of me hitting a P-38 with the 30's in a 190A-8 from 1000 yards (in the BOG scenario) but I've always flown the A8 with guns set to 650 yards and know just how high I have to aim.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 01:00:19 AM »
IIRC engines off is more draggy than on.   Could be wrong, never actually tested it.

That has been my experience... I think it's the same drag but no "idle thrust" helping along.

I don't like to come in hot... I don't come in too slow either. What you CAN do upon landing is pop a notch of flaps at about 350mph or whatever the max speed is. This will start to slow you down until you can pop another.... As you keep popping notches of flaps it will keep slowing you down allowing for the next. By the time you're at 4 notches you should be slow enough for final approach. Use full flaps on landing for best drag to help you stop. Kill the engines as soon as you touch down if not already off, and hit the brakes and hold them!

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 09:16:42 AM »
You can if you know the guns ballistics.  Somewhere around here I posted a screen shot of me hitting a P-38 with the 30's in a 190A-8 from 1000 yards (in the BOG scenario) but I've always flown the A8 with guns set to 650 yards and know just how high I have to aim.
I didn't say that it wasn't possible to get a hit at long range and I have also landed an occasional lucky round well out there but it's usually a waste of ammo to try due to the scattergun pattern.  "Sniping" implies precision, i.e., one shot, one kill at long range but the 30mm has a very low Ph (probability of hit) because of it's lack of precision as compared to 50cals or Hispanos so no, I don't recommend people try to do this as standard practice.  With the 262's speed it usually isn't necessary to even try, just close to a high Ph range and blast him with just a short burst. 
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 09:49:05 AM »
hey mace is the combat landing Rolex explains in the AH trainers section still used for fast jets?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli