Author Topic: 262 help  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Re: 262 help
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 11:45:13 AM »
hey mace is the combat landing Rolex explains in the AH trainers section still used for fast jets?
Are you talking about Rolex's writeup for CV operations?  Yes, that sort of pattern is still used for VFR conditions (called a Case I recovery).  The pattern Rolex describes uses the modern numbers with the "break" at 800ft and then a descent to 600ft on downwind.  I think the WWII altitudes might have been a bit lower but I have never seen it described (I always mean to ask my Dad but keep forgetting).  Ashore, we use a similar pattern but usually at 1k ft AGL and you extend a bit past the abeam position before starting the approach turn (because the airfield isn't moving away from you).  One thing is to not confuse this with the general aviation style VFR pattern.  General Aviation flies a box pattern with four distinct sides with turns at each corner while this pattern has only two sides connected by continuous turns (the break and the approach turn).  This tighter pattern let's you keep a continuous 6G break turn in so you can slow down rapidly and get on deck quickly.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:00:11 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: 262 help
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 12:00:50 PM »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli