Author Topic: Question for HTC: New Fighter Poll  (Read 9239 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Question for HTC: New Fighter Poll
« Reply #255 on: October 24, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »
I just read wikipedia and am now a self proclaimed expert with the meteor.

It destroyed 46 German aircraft in a ground attack role!   :old:

That was only after the taking of france. It was not used in ground attack or fighting before then for concern of losing one in enemy territory.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #256 on: October 24, 2011, 05:09:56 PM »
That was only after the taking of france. It was not used in ground attack or fighting before then for concern of losing one in enemy territory.
Does that disqualify the ground attack work in some way?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #257 on: October 24, 2011, 05:27:37 PM »
Does that disqualify the ground attack work in some way?

Do you think it will help the health of the game?

The Meteor will be the new least used plane in the game. Meaning they were hardly used at all in the War.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #258 on: October 24, 2011, 05:37:26 PM »
Beaufighter didn't get in which to shuffler was the only choice. No amount of argument is going to change his mind.

410 or Yak-3 are perfectly good choices. We could even use them in events.

I want to vote yak-3 but I don't hold out hope its going to win. So its 410.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #259 on: October 24, 2011, 05:43:38 PM »
Do you think it will help the health of the game?

The Meteor will be the new least used plane in the game. Meaning they were hardly used at all in the War.
No, that is why I voted for the Me410.

Now answer the question.  You, and others, seem to feel the need to lie or distort the Meteor's record in order to invalidate it.  You can argue against its validity perfectly well while being honest about it.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #260 on: October 24, 2011, 06:05:02 PM »
No, that is why I voted for the Me410.

Now answer the question.  You, and others, seem to feel the need to lie or distort the Meteor's record in order to invalidate it.  You can argue against its validity perfectly well while being honest about it.

I don't think it's a desire to invalidate it's record.  I think it's really trying to understand why folks can't get beyond the need for what they perceive is a late war monster.  But the logic is the same I see for not begging for the Spit XII, which saw far more combat, and is by far my favorite WW2 bird.  There are other more significant birds historically not in game yet.

In the end it feels like folks just want Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe 1946.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #261 on: October 24, 2011, 06:21:29 PM »
I don't think it's a desire to invalidate it's record.  I think it's really trying to understand why folks can't get beyond the need for what they perceive is a late war monster.  But the logic is the same I see for not begging for the Spit XII, which saw far more combat, and is by far my favorite WW2 bird.  There are other more significant birds historically not in game yet.

You're not one of the guys I am talking about Dan, though I think you are significantly underestimating the Meteor's capability.

I am talking about the guys who claim it didn't see combat, or it only shot down V1s, or it was less significant than the Ta152 and such.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #262 on: October 24, 2011, 06:27:29 PM »
With the clear understanding that I'm an RAF fan, and not a Luftwaffle.  I would rather the time go into adding or updating the 190 line up then put the time into the Meteor.  And I don't fly 190s.

*Grasps the left-half of his chest, gasping for air, falls onto the floor, and passes out*

This thread has both exceeded my expectation for this conversation, and also troughed some real gutter balls.  The vote is progressing, as we all expected, interestingly, with the Meteor still holding fast as a strong contender.  I am not surprised that the 410 has stuck around this long in the standings, however I am very surprised it beat out the Beau along with the Meteor.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:31:28 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #263 on: October 24, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »
This thread has both exceeded my expectation for this conversation, and also troughed some real gutter balls.  The vote is progressing, as we all expected, interestingly, with the Meteor still holding fast as a strong contender.  I am not surprised that the 410 has stuck around this long in the standings, however I am very surprised it beat out the Beau along with the Meteor.
I think in the US people, with even a casual interest in the subject, think German stuff is neater than British stuff.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #264 on: October 24, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »
Personally, I"d like all 4 included in game. Before that however, I'd like new japanese, italian, russian planes (yes, I know the yak is there)

As for the meteor being bad for the game, its inclusion would counterpoint the 262 - if 1 jet is bad for the game, why not the other one? (Just curious about that).

Bearing in mind I'm a brit, I'm all for the spit XII - once the other plane sets are rounded out. Heck, I'm all for any new planes, once we have a more complete rounded set overall.

Wurz
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #265 on: October 24, 2011, 08:23:39 PM »
As for the meteor being bad for the game, its inclusion would counterpoint the 262 - if 1 jet is bad for the game, why not the other one? (Just curious about that).

Not bad for the game, just there's better stuff that could be added instead IMO.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
if 1 jet is bad for the game, why not the other one? (Just curious about that).

For me, the Meteor was simply so insignificant to WW2 as a whole, I hate the thought of HTC spending all that developement time to produce it when there are sooooo many other planes that were VERY significant that have yet to be included.  It's not like they are adding new airframes all that often.  Look at the time that passed between the last one and this upcoming addition.  The Meteor also adds absolutely nothing to the scenarios and FSO.  It will be a perked novelty in the LW arena and will be totally useless pretty much everywhere else.

It's not so much that the Meteor would be bad for the game, but it would add so little that I don't think HTC should bother with it yet.

My $0.02.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #267 on: October 24, 2011, 10:09:24 PM »

I've been thinking the same thing all week.  P-80 will be next.  Could Tigercats, Bearcats and B-36s be far behind?

- oldman (OTOH, the P-80 v 262 scenario in SWOTL was fun)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #268 on: October 25, 2011, 06:38:49 AM »
A case can be made for the Meteor under the validity guidelines but I don't think the same can't be said for the P-80, Bearcat, and B-36.

The voting is taking place in the MA, and on balance, the MA crowd prefers bigger guns and lots of speed.   So I'm concluding the Meteor will win.   (Though I'm confused about the poor showing of the J2M, since that a/c had quad 20s and pretty fair speed and climb rate - if the MA flyer loves the N1K2, they should also love the Raiden)

I'm thinking I"ll vote Me410 now, not only for the a/c itself but a vote in favor of the sentiment that the new aircraft doesn't always have to be the fastest and most powerfully armed.   

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #269 on: October 25, 2011, 07:47:49 AM »
(Though I'm confused about the poor showing of the J2M, since that a/c had quad 20s and

My guess is many had never heard of it before this poll.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B