Author Topic: Making good use of my time off  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Making good use of my time off
« on: October 22, 2011, 02:40:39 AM »
Well, back in the spring of 2011, I started work on a terrain called "Der Hexenkessel", or The Witche's Cauldron, for you non-german speakers out there.

I got the terrain itself drawn, and the various water depths set, and all that, and then I kind of neglected it. Hoping to get some progress done.

There will be 3 main land masses, skirting the map, with 3 secondary land masses in a large central sea. Many small islands will serve as forward bases of operations.

New features I'm including:

1) multiple islands connected by bridges, and low causeways.
2) ports more resiliant to the "supprise horde" tactic
3) the town and maproom on seperate islands for costal bases, either attached by bridge, or unreachable by halftracks and jeeps
4) neutral towns and cities on double GV spawns, for increased fun
5) Prolific rivers and bridges, will need to be considered for base assult opperations
6) Improved GV revetments, and pre-prepared defensive lines at strategicly placed bases
7) Runways will not run perpendicular to mountians that are only 300yds off the end of the base
8) destroyable bridges (if I can work out the kinks)

What do you think?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Online oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: Making good use of my time off
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Well, back in the spring of 2011, I started work on a terrain called "Der Hexenkessel", or The Witche's Cauldron, for you non-german speakers out there.

I got the terrain itself drawn, and the various water depths set, and all that, and then I kind of neglected it. Hoping to get some progress done.

There will be 3 main land masses, skirting the map, with 3 secondary land masses in a large central sea. Many small islands will serve as forward bases of operations.

New features I'm including:

1) multiple islands connected by bridges, and low causeways.
2) ports more resiliant to the "supprise horde" tactic
3) the town and maproom on seperate islands for costal bases, either attached by bridge, or unreachable by halftracks and jeeps
4) neutral towns and cities on double GV spawns, for increased fun
5) Prolific rivers and bridges, will need to be considered for base assult opperations
6) Improved GV revetments, and pre-prepared defensive lines at strategicly placed bases
7) Runways will not run perpendicular to mountians that are only 300yds off the end of the base
8) destroyable bridges (if I can work out the kinks)

What do you think?

I may be asking you for help on the bridges.  I am planning on adding some on my map too.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:57:14 PM »
I'd be happy to help you, if you could help me with the object editor. My computer won't run it, and I've been looking for suitable burnt-out tanks, if thats something the Object Editor can manage. Was planning on including them in the terrain as well, to confuse the unskilled tankers  :airplane:.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Online oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 10:35:03 PM »
I'd be happy to help you, if you could help me with the object editor. My computer won't run it, and I've been looking for suitable burnt-out tanks, if thats something the Object Editor can manage. Was planning on including them in the terrain as well, to confuse the unskilled tankers  :airplane:.

Not sure what good I will be as i am new. I am looking to develop buildings and marshall\ing yards that can be destroy. Also, would like to make some non-flying AC on the ground for targets.

"Was planning on including them in the terrain as well, to confuse the unskilled tankers " I wonder if there is a way that we can use an AH tank and duplicated it to be an object rather be used?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 11:48:02 PM »
There's object versions of all the tanks and planes. Would assume those aren't used by other players ;). Was just going to alter their look, make them look burned out, or remove the turret or something.

Online oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 11:50:07 PM »
There's object versions of all the tanks and planes. Would assume those aren't used by other players ;). Was just going to alter their look, make them look burned out, or remove the turret or something.

Hummm...i bet there is a way that can be done.  Just nobody ever looked into it.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 01:00:04 AM »
I would be amazed if no one has looked into it before. Perhaps HTC has expiramented with it and, for whatever reason, they're bad for framerates.

Online oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 09:52:51 AM »
I would be amazed if no one has looked into it before. Perhaps HTC has expiramented with it and, for whatever reason, they're bad for framerates.

I asked about developing accurate cities settings and land markings in the game, especially in the scenario arena. I was told that it could hurt the frame rate. I cannot imagine a little object like a tank would have that significant impact on the frame rate.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »
I cant see how it would either, but then again, different skins can hurt your frame rate too.