Author Topic: Die With Dignity  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
Re: Die With Dignity
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »
What I find the perfect kill in AH is exactly the opposite as general misconception in 200 ch: Kill the enemy without have been detected.

Then you 'll have the whine  on CH200: picker, vulcher, *tard,....

But you know what, In my head, maybe wrongly, I have the image of real WWII pilots trying to kill without putting themselves in a dangerous situation. That's the way I like playing the game.

Then It comes the opinion that if you kill 1 vs 1 in a tight fight untill you die or survive.......well..I can not imagine WWII pilots looking for that situation in real war. Anyway, there are players who think that's the only way you prove your flying skills.....who knows....

The opposite stands the same for me, when it is the case I die....wtg to all the pilots who killed me and I didnt even realized they were there.
" I personally led the attack to A1" - Pipz

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 11:54:12 AM »
Don't confuse a game with reality :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 01:08:03 PM »
What I find the perfect kill in AH is exactly the opposite as general misconception in 200 ch: Kill the enemy without have been detected.

Then you 'll have the whine  on CH200: picker, vulcher, *tard,....

But you know what, In my head, maybe wrongly, I have the image of real WWII pilots trying to kill without putting themselves in a dangerous situation. That's the way I like playing the game.

Then It comes the opinion that if you kill 1 vs 1 in a tight fight untill you die or survive.......well..I can not imagine WWII pilots looking for that situation in real war. Anyway, there are players who think that's the only way you prove your flying skills.....who knows....

The opposite stands the same for me, when it is the case I die....wtg to all the pilots who killed me and I didnt even realized they were there.

Ok not being critical because I get your point. But think of it this way. How about if all the folks that like to sneak up on people and kill without detection only do it to folks playing the same way?  
Imagine an MA where everyone played like that?

No action because the real war was not fun.  

So to make it more exiting, the sneaky folks don't actually look for similar players stalking each other like snipers, they just get lazy and look for distracted targets. Targets that are distracted because the targets choose not to fly around being sneaky, but engaging enemies and mixing it up.

You have to give up a bit of emersion, and be just a bit considerate of your fellow players because the game will thrive when everyone has fun. Not some at the expense of others.  :salute
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:30:06 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2011, 01:24:33 PM »
To me, "die with dignity" means stop lag-spazzing your stick when someone gets your six.

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 02:10:35 AM »
Ok not being critical because I get your point. But think of it this way. How about if all the folks that like to sneak up on people and kill without detection only do it to folks playing the same way?  
Imagine an MA where everyone played like that?

No action because the real war was not fun.  

So to make it more exiting, the sneaky folks don't actually look for similar players stalking each other like snipers, they just get lazy and look for distracted targets. Targets that are distracted because the targets choose not to fly around being sneaky, but engaging enemies and mixing it up.

You have to give up a bit of emersion, and be just a bit considerate of your fellow players because the game will thrive when everyone has fun. Not some at the expense of others.  :salute

Vinkman, I agree 100% with you (S)
" I personally led the attack to A1" - Pipz

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 10:09:32 AM »
squelch the endless entertainment that is Midway?

never

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »

That's the thing, though.  A lot of the guys who enjoy that playstyle go into a furball with alt, and the first thing they do is look for other high cons to engage.  If they find them, it often precipitates a good high alt duel, which I find is a fairly different fight from a low alt one.  Either that, or one of them dives out to friendlies.  The difference is, at alt it's a lot easier to get that much-vaunted unmolested 1v1 because the other planes are too low to be a factor.  It's kind of like fighting above a pit of snakes though, if you have to dive out to evade the lower you get, the more red planes can become a factor.

If I don't find someone to fight with up there, I start working my way down through the furball from the top at an edge.  Generally speaking, I prioritize the guy who's trying to BnZ the friendlies below me.  If I happen to be following him and you're on a friendly's six and you hang in front of me, sorry I'm not passing up on the shot.

I consider my playstyle somewhere in the neighborhood of 'altmonkey lite' because depending on my mood, I may not have the patience to go above 12k or so by the time I get to the furball.  I know guys that won't head toward a fight below about 18k though.

It really is like that food chain picture someone (Fugi?) made for here that I can't find right now.  The layer of planes above feeds on the next layer below it, in a beautiful rich tapestry of gameplay.  The lower in the fight you are, the more guys have the opportunity to take a shot at you so the more you have to watch your back.

That is the thing I find truly perverse about a lot of people in here.  They are at the bottom of a giant swarm of aircraft from both sides, and consider it an infringement on their fun if they can't ignore everything above them so they can have a 1v1.

Wiley.

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:17:36 AM by Wiley »
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Orbitson

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2011, 11:12:01 AM »
That's the thing, though.  A lot of the guys who enjoy that playstyle go into a furball with alt, and the first thing they do is look for other high cons to engage.  If they find them, it often precipitates a good high alt duel, which I find is a fairly different fight from a low alt one.  Either that, or one of them dives out to friendlies.  The difference is, at alt it's a lot easier to get that much-vaunted unmolested 1v1 because the other planes are too low to be a factor.  It's kind of like fighting above a pit of snakes though, if you have to dive out to evade the lower you get, the more red planes can become a factor.

If I don't find someone to fight with up there, I start working my way down through the furball from the top at an edge.  Generally speaking, I prioritize the guy who's trying to BnZ the friendlies below me.  If I happen to be following him and you're on a friendly's six and you hang in front of me, sorry I'm not passing up on the shot.

I consider my playstyle somewhere in the neighborhood of 'altmonkey lite' because depending on my mood, I may not have the patience to go above 12k or so by the time I get to the furball.  I know guys that won't head toward a fight below about 18k though.

It really is like that food chain picture someone (Fugi?) made for here that I can't find right now.  The layer of planes above feeds on the next layer below it, in a beautiful rich tapestry of gameplay.  The lower in the fight you are, the more guys have the opportunity to take a shot at you so the more you have to watch your back.

That is the thing I find truly perverse about a lot of people in here.  They are at the bottom of a giant swarm of aircraft from both sides, and cosider it an infringement on their fun if they can't ignore everything above them so they can have a 1v1.

Wiley.
:aok :aok :aok
Syd*****Flying with The Floyd
By the way which one is Pink?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2011, 11:22:08 AM »
I like the ones who are over your base at 10k or so.... they dive on you as you take off. After a bit when they die you start towards their base. They take off coming at you. You have the alt now as you have been flying while they reup. You kill them as they wonder in and out of their ack and they call you an alt monkey.    :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2011, 11:27:28 AM »
I like the ones who are over your base at 10k or so.... they dive on you as you take off. After a bit when they die you start towards their base. They take off coming at you. You have the alt now as you have been flying while they reup. You kill them as they wonder in and out of their ack and they call you an alt monkey.    :rofl

One I wish I'd been there for was one night some squaddies of mine found another squad working a furball coming in 20-25k.  My squaddies were in the mood, so they climbed to 30k to get above the other guys and came in.  They killed a few of them and were getting a fair bit of flak on 200 for being alt monkeys.  IMHO, if you are above the cloud layer, you lose the right to complain that anybody else is an altmonkey.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »
I was once told to clear the six of one of the "famous" people in AH, when he was being chased on the deck directly below me and I was at 14k.  I told him I wasn't about to waste that much alt just to clear his six, as I had targets my own altitude to worry about.  Which led to a bunch of noise from him over voice coms about Rooks not playing as a team, which I quickly squelched.

So I guess what I'm saying is... I feel you, but at the same time, its easy to ignore.   :D
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2011, 12:16:57 PM »
That's the thing, though.  A lot of the guys who enjoy that playstyle go into a furball with alt, and the first thing they do is look for other high cons to engage.  If they find them, it often precipitates a good high alt duel, which I find is a fairly different fight from a low alt one.  Either that, or one of them dives out to friendlies.  The difference is, at alt it's a lot easier to get that much-vaunted unmolested 1v1 because the other planes are too low to be a factor.  It's kind of like fighting above a pit of snakes though, if you have to dive out to evade the lower you get, the more red planes can become a factor.

If I don't find someone to fight with up there, I start working my way down through the furball from the top at an edge.  Generally speaking, I prioritize the guy who's trying to BnZ the friendlies below me.  If I happen to be following him and you're on a friendly's six and you hang in front of me, sorry I'm not passing up on the shot.

I consider my playstyle somewhere in the neighborhood of 'altmonkey lite' because depending on my mood, I may not have the patience to go above 12k or so by the time I get to the furball.  I know guys that won't head toward a fight below about 18k though.

It really is like that food chain picture someone (Fugi?) made for here that I can't find right now.  The layer of planes above feeds on the next layer below it, in a beautiful rich tapestry of gameplay.  The lower in the fight you are, the more guys have the opportunity to take a shot at you so the more you have to watch your back.

That is the thing I find truly perverse about a lot of people in here.  They are at the bottom of a giant swarm of aircraft from both sides, and consider it an infringement on their fun if they can't ignore everything above them so they can have a 1v1.

Wiley.

edit: spelling

Are you saying everyone plays like you, and I'm just misinterpreting where they are in the cycle? I believe your play is courteous and fun for all. I do not, at all, believe it representative of how most are thinking or doing it.  :salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2011, 12:41:37 PM »
I love showing up at a furball at 34k feet to fight the guy who flew at 30k to pick the guy who flew in at 20k to pick the guys who are furballing at 5k.

No matter how high you fly, there is always someone willing to fly higher.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2011, 12:53:34 PM »
Are you saying everyone plays like you, and I'm just misinterpreting where they are in the cycle? I believe your play is courteous and fun for all. I do not, at all, believe it representative of how most are thinking or doing it.  :salute

Not everyone plays like me, for sure.  My point is, the only time you can really rely on people to stay out of your fight is when they can't get to you.  As you get lower, more people are able to attack you.  Spending all your time in a furball below 3k in a free for all arena is more or less begging to be attacked by all who see you.

With what I've described in the previous post, I am somewhat in control of who engages me, at least until I mess up.  Being at 2-3k alt below 20 red planes, you have to expect every last one of them to take a poke at you.  It's pure insanity to expect a different result.

If you are logged into the LWMA, you can expect if someone has an opportunity to kill you they're going to take it.  That's what I like, and what I want from the other side is for both of us to throw everything but the kitchen sink at each other.  If I dive into a crowd of 4 red planes, I assume I am now fighting 4 red planes.  If I am engaged with 1 red plane and 3 more red icons appear, I begin tracking those other 3 icons as possible threats, as they likely are.

To me, anything less than full effort from the other side is artificial and doesn't belong in side vs side combat.  I have my personal code of ethics, I ask if the friendly's got it under control when I happen on a 1v1 or a 2v2, I don't ho habitually, etc etc.  I do however, expect the other side to do all those things, and plan my attack accordingly.  I expect it, and plan for it, and if I'm unable to execute my plan (which sometimes involves tucking tail and running if there's more than 2 of them) I die.  There are things I consider cheap, but it's part of the game and to be expected from the other side.

I just wish the guys that complain all the time about being killed in ways they dislike would realign their expectations with reality.  I've been simming online for ~4 years, and it has always been this way from what I've seen.  Individuals have (or lack) their own sense of right and wrong, and if you expect the worst out of them, any quarter they give you is a pleasant surprise.  It makes for a much less stressful gaming experience, IMO.

icepac- Exactly.  There is no limit to the amount of patience some online gamers have.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2011, 02:28:32 PM »
Not everyone plays like me, for sure.  My point is, the only time you can really rely on people to stay out of your fight is when they can't get to you.  As you get lower, more people are able to attack you.  Spending all your time in a furball below 3k in a free for all arena is more or less begging to be attacked by all who see you.

With what I've described in the previous post, I am somewhat in control of who engages me, at least until I mess up.  Being at 2-3k alt below 20 red planes, you have to expect every last one of them to take a poke at you.  It's pure insanity to expect a different result.

If you are logged into the LWMA, you can expect if someone has an opportunity to kill you they're going to take it.  That's what I like, and what I want from the other side is for both of us to throw everything but the kitchen sink at each other.  If I dive into a crowd of 4 red planes, I assume I am now fighting 4 red planes.  If I am engaged with 1 red plane and 3 more red icons appear, I begin tracking those other 3 icons as possible threats, as they likely are.

To me, anything less than full effort from the other side is artificial and doesn't belong in side vs side combat.  I have my personal code of ethics, I ask if the friendly's got it under control when I happen on a 1v1 or a 2v2, I don't ho habitually, etc etc.  I do however, expect the other side to do all those things, and plan my attack accordingly.  I expect it, and plan for it, and if I'm unable to execute my plan (which sometimes involves tucking tail and running if there's more than 2 of them) I die.  There are things I consider cheap, but it's part of the game and to be expected from the other side.

I just wish the guys that complain all the time about being killed in ways they dislike would realign their expectations with reality.  I've been simming online for ~4 years, and it has always been this way from what I've seen.  Individuals have (or lack) their own sense of right and wrong, and if you expect the worst out of them, any quarter they give you is a pleasant surprise.  It makes for a much less stressful gaming experience, IMO.

icepac- Exactly.  There is no limit to the amount of patience some online gamers have.

Wiley.

I'm not dissagreeing.  :salute    My point was not to defend every complaint. It was to refute that no complaint is valid.  Understanding game dynamics means the most fun may be had by not seeking ways to win without completely frustrate your opponent.  :aok
Who is John Galt?