Author Topic: Final Round of the plane vote  (Read 8837 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Final Round of the plane vote
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2011, 11:44:23 AM »
For any given 410A/B, the main difference will just be what is installed in the bomb bay or on the underwing/underbelly racks. That may or may not affect performance in some way, but a loaded plane with no externals and no bomb bay guns/bombs is what I meant by "clean.'

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »
Ah too bad. Would have been nice to experience the Meteor but I do understand the relief.  Maybe one day :old:

Well the Yak 3 looks nice and gets a very good write up. Think I'll vote for that one. Which version have they proposed they would include?

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »
Posting with out having any knowledge of what you are talking about shame! Its Armed for late war, however hardly a Speedster at 575km or 357mph at alt or 301mph on the deck. It won't win over any dogfighters, however its versatility is what makes this a wonderful bird, you can attack buffs, dogfight, ground attack.

The Beaufighter will simply NOT wake up any arenas, although its something to fly next to the Me110 and B-38.

LOL.......I used to restore warbirds for the national air and space museum.

My comment is a general comment relevent to the thread title and not related the the tangent the thread took before I posted it.

RE: ME410.....I currently fly in arenas that feature the 410 and find the 110 taken more often when there is a choice between the two.

This is because the overall firepower still favors the 110 by a pretty large margin.

As far as "waking up arenas" an early war plane would have a much bigger effect than a late model plane that already has 4 variants of near the same armament or performance in game.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2011, 12:10:08 PM »
I currently fly in arenas that feature the 410

Saaay whut?   :uhoh

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2011, 12:15:06 PM »
As far as "waking up arenas" an early war plane would have a much bigger effect than a late model plane that already has 4 variants of near the same armament or performance in game.

No plane addition whatsoever will "wake up" any of the lesser populated arenas. The reasons they are underpopulated are manifold and not just by a lack of planes. When the Brewster and the I-16 were about to be introduced to AH, some here on the BBS predicted a rise of activity in EW.

Nothing did happen. ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2011, 12:15:24 PM »
Maybe he means in another game?  But you really can't compare in that case.  

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2011, 12:16:32 PM »
How many 410's were fitted with the BK-5 autocannon? :noid

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2011, 12:19:13 PM »
Maybe he means in another game?  But you really can't compare in that case. 

If that's the case I would totally agree with you. If he's talking IL2 mods that added the Me410, I've flown them, and while fun they don't handle, or react, the way AH planes do. They also don't have the same environment. In AH environments, the me110G is used for a lot of things (other than "fighter" mode)... the 410 is a better 110, and would logically have a place in lieu of the 110G in main arena activities.

The only way a 110G has more firepower is if you count the 2x 30mm on the 110G compared to a 410 that doesn't have any. You put 2x Mk103s on the 410 and it's got more power. You put 4x, 6x, dare I say 8x 20mm on the 410, and you have better firepower on the 410. Those 30mm on the 110G are nice, and I don't mean to downplay how powerful they are. I'm just showing there is a reasonable debate about which has the better firepower.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:20:52 PM by Krusty »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2011, 12:20:36 PM »
How many 410's were fitted with the BK-5 autocannon? :noid

I believe over 100. It was intended to be the main armament. Some pilots removed them and had them replaced with the 4x 20mm "tray" insert instead. They had a tendency to jam, and after that point you had to press the attack with your lighter default loadout. Swapping the big gun for more lesser guns was a better option (for some pilots).

In short: It was common enough.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »
The two things that have limited Eastern Front battles have been lack of terrains and lack of Soviet early/mid-war aircraft (such as Yak-1 and LaGG-3 for fighters, and Pe-2 for attack planes).  We did run a late-war Eastern Front -- Red Storm/Krupp Steel -- which was great fun.  Late war is fine -- we can use Germany terrain for that one, and there is a fine set of Soviet aircraft to use there:  La-7, La-5, and Yak-9.  The Yak-3 doesn't change that dynamic, though, since it is a late-war plane that became operational after the Yak-9, and it has performance similar to a Yak-9.

I would love to do more Eastern Front.  The great majority of all fighting in WWII in ETO was between Germans and Soviets.  We are getting more Eastern Front terrains, and I hold out hope that we will get a Pe-2 and a Yak-1 and/or LaGG-3.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:23:56 PM by Brooke »

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2011, 12:54:01 PM »
Adding the beaufighter might wake up some of the other arenas that currently sit empty.

Adding a late war heavily armed speedster will not.

It may bring in a few more people to the other arenas, but not cause them to "wake up".

My primary reason for not venturing into the EWA (and it's been a long time since I was there and if I were to guess, the MWA has the same issue with ack), is the Late War Era ack on the bases and ships.  A stop gap is to tone down the damage dealt by said ack but, the "true" way would be to make changes to the type of guns used as ack.  .30 cal, .50 cals mostly, with few 20mm.  The few 20mm's that would be on base would be singles or duals, not likely quads.  Ships would be have to be remodeled in order to change them to their early war variants (or new ships modeled altogether), which had fewer and less powerful ack guns, and more anti-ship weapons.

As is, I'm much better off flying a EW plane in the LWA.  I get more perks for blowing stuff up and I wouldn't be by myself most of the time.

As for the vote, I will vote 410.  However, through out the voting, I truly didn't care what wins (but of course I voted for something I'd like to see next :D).  All the planes listed in the forum post would be awesome additions to fly (in my case, littering the landscape with  :joystick: :bhead) and adds more variety.  So, while I am hoping the 410 wins against the Yak 3, should the Yak 3 win, I would die in.....er, fail fl-.....wait; successfully spawn one on the runway.  Yes, yes...that's the ticket. :D
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2011, 01:05:53 PM »
Hmmm.  My expectation had been that the Yak-3 would be eliminated leaving the Me410 vs the Meteor where the Meteor would lose.

I voted for the Me410 as the Yak-3 will be all but indistinguishable from the Yak-9U.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
I voted for the Me410 as the Yak-3 will be all but indistinguishable from the Yak-9U.

I read it had the same engine but was a lot smaller and lighter. Other people said there would be little difference too. Am I reading up on the wrong aircraft?

This one I thought:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN1-5BP0xSU
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2011, 01:27:05 PM »
Youre wrong, Shida.
The wartime Jak-3s had only 1200 horses under the hood. Not so much, but the plane was extreme light, 5800lbs loaded. The wing area was also very small, only 160 sq feet.
The plane was very fast for its weak engine, like 400mph and could climb very well, at 3600-3700 feet/min. The sustained turn rate was 17 seconds per a circle what is the same as the ki-84. I dont know about its flaps, possibly it had normal ones, so the 30mph reverse madness on the ki wont appear on this aircraft. The weapons were the same as on the in-game jak-9.

Based on its specs, it would be clearly inferior to the ki-84/spit8,9,16, but a bit superior to the 109F in every aspect. A light little killer.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »
Round 3 has ended with the Meteor being eliminated.

This day just gets better and better.
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.