Author Topic: If the Yak 3 makes it.  (Read 940 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member

Offline titan312

• Zinc Member
Re: If the Yak 3 makes it.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »
Nice!  I've got my fingers crossed.   :pray

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 10:23:04 AM »
N-N skins

That middle one is especially nice with the cross, the tri-colour stab and prop-hub. . .drool

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »
I think the yak3 evolved quite a bit during its WWII career, should we have 2 versions?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 11:25:39 AM »
I'd like to see the mig3, yak1, and yak7b before the yak3.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »
I'd like to see the mig3, yak1, and yak7b before the yak3.

I agree.  Correct me if I am wrong, but the Yak-3 didnt really contribute to the effort like the MiG3 and earlier versions of the Yak, correct???

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 04:55:50 PM »
I agree.  Correct me if I am wrong, but the Yak-3 didnt really contribute to the effort like the MiG3 and earlier versions of the Yak, correct???

if contribute = dieing then yes.

The Yak3 and the La5 were the tools that brought back air superiority to the russians.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 04:58:38 PM »
the Yak LINE was... Not necessarily the Yak-3 itself. The -3 was simply one step in a long line of Yaks. As a family they brought back air superiority.

Just sayin'...

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 05:25:09 PM »
It really puzzles me how often the MiG-3 gets brought up on this forum.  It was really not that significant.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:48:40 PM »
I think it's iconic... It symbolizes one of the first home-grown Soviet designs that really worked.... Well, at least compared to all the designs before it. It was the wrong design and the wrong type of aircraft for the Soviet needs, but it was theirs nonetheless and I think a lot of national pride is one reason it is so "important" to folks looking back.

Just a hunch.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 10:44:42 PM »
I think it's iconic... It symbolizes one of the first home-grown Soviet designs that really worked.... Well, at least compared to all the designs before it. It was the wrong design and the wrong type of aircraft for the Soviet needs, but it was theirs nonetheless and I think a lot of national pride is one reason it is so "important" to folks looking back.

Just a hunch.
I'd put then Yak-1 and LaGG-3 far, far above the MiG-3 in terms of significance.  The MiG-3 was almost a complete non-factor in WWII.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 10:45:43 AM »
IMO it was the Yak3 and the La7 of mid 44 that brought about a form of  air superiority over Eastern front skies that was more then just based upon numbers airborne.

For the first time the VVS had ac that could combat air to air even when out numbered against the LW iron of the day.

The La5FN just about matched some of its LW contempories  and the prior versions of Yak1,7,9 did not match them. The Yak 9U was introduces 6 months later than the Yak3 with the very unreliable VK107 motor.

At Stalingrad and Kursk the VVS only had air superiority when the LW failed to show up or when they had massive numbers advantage in the skies. Whilst the VVS still had the same numbers advantage in Mid 44 the LW was never able to generate even local air superiority where it wished due to the VVS having superior aircraft and equally if not better trained pilots to put against them. (some generalisation but the "sense" is true)

The Mig3 was very pretty. It was light on armament, by far the worst performing ac in the VVS fleet at its time (yak1 and even Lagg3 outperformed it). Its only saving grace was that (comparatively) it performed better at altitude. A trait totally useless to the VVS until the LW attempted saturation bombing of Moscow in late 41. It was in the "Battle for Moscow" where the Mig3 was used as a bomber interceptor agin HE111's etc that the Mig3 had its moment in history. By the following spiring it was being replaced in front line units where ever possible and production was phased back to be finished completely by late summer 42.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:49:37 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 10:58:07 AM »
Many people's perspective seems to exclude early war action.

Mig3 was a factor when it was the only russian airplane in early war capable of intercepting and shooting down high flying recon. planes courtesy of it's 39,000 foot ceiling.

I understand that most air combat here at aces high rarely get's above 900 feet and less than 1/2 sector distance but there were plenty of real life actions with this plane which makes it plenty significant.

Yak1 would see more use in aces high because of it's low altitude performance but one has to wonder whether the majority of low altitude fighting we see is the result of the planeset or player mindset.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 11:02:33 AM »
People fly low because:

1. It's too easy to simply "leave" the fight, point your nose down and sooner or later, you're low again, or you find almost no one up high.
2. Most of the late war planes perform way better at lower altitudes.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 11:50:15 AM »
Actually most people fly low because most don't have the patience to spend another 5-10 minutes of climbing to get to 20-30K. Most simply want to get to the fight with some altitude as soon as possible. I generally fly below 10k, not because I don't know how to fly up high, but because I don't have the patience to spend half the night climbing when I can just go straight to the action and have much more fun.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies