Author Topic: Windows 7 50% cpu usage at desktop  (Read 340 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Windows 7 50% cpu usage at desktop
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:44:35 PM »
I'm having problems with stuttering graphics when there are several players in the area. When I checked my usage at desktop it was spiking intermittently to 50% or more. Which processes/services should I stop? Is there a program that you can run that does this for you?

I'm also think of deleting my MS AV suite and stopping Auto upades.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 7 50% cpu usage at desktop
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 03:06:44 PM »
turn off automatic updates for sure. if you java and flash installed, disable those auto updaters as well. make sure bit defender and security essentials aren't set to run auto-scans, just resident protection is all you need.

there are several discussions around here about what processes can be safely disabled in win7...do a search using blackviper as the keyword query.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 04:26:10 PM »
turn off automatic updates for sure. if you java and flash installed, disable those auto updaters as well. make sure bit defender and security essentials aren't set to run auto-scans, just resident protection is all you need.

there are several discussions around here about what processes can be safely disabled in win7...do a search using blackviper as the keyword query.
Thanks Gyrene!

I went to msconfig and took out about 7 items out of startup. Deleted the tool bars as well. The one tool bar, support.com was tough. It didn't want to go. I had to delete it's folder and then do a uninstall. The thing is I told the program not to load it and it did anyway. Always a bad sign.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 07:00:25 PM »
there's programs that will install whatever in anyway.  iobits is one of them.  that's why I dont have it anymore.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 10:58:43 PM »
Blackviper is worth the look. He has W7 tips and a list of what to disable/ set to manual in component services, depending on how you use machine.
Skuzzy has a great Hint and Tips post as well.

Disable any auto updates, MS, virus, adobe, java,

You can try something called Advanced Shortcut Composer, its freeware, you can configure the AH desktop icon to have a higher priority with cpu.

Multi Media Class Scheduler, MMCS. Google this, theres a tweak to disable a throttleing technique, W7 uses, reguarding sound. I have had sound issues that I thought were vid issues, disable sound card in device manager and then play the game. Same issues, or do they go away?

All drivers current and up to date? sound, vid, lan.

Network Interface Card, NIC. In device manager, advanced tab. Auto negotation/ full duplex. Is your ISP service delivering full service?

Disable CPU core parking.

Does issue happen in offline mode?

Wireless routers have some type of issue, something about constantly searching or looking for signal???????????

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 11:06:22 PM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 11:18:54 PM »
Last I looked I had the cpu usage down to 0-1. I still have the google bar program. Should I delelte that?

Some really great tips here. Sure appreciate it.

I flew tonight and absolutely no issues even in high traffic areas.

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 12:13:01 AM »
delete any program bars... they have comp usage too.

Lawndart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 01:29:04 AM »
delete any program bars... they have comp usage too.

Lawndart

I deleted the google bar right after I started having stuttering issues. I was on the net and then went to play ah. Soon after stuttering issues. I rebooted and delted the bar.