Author Topic: convergence  (Read 5927 times)

Offline AHLong

• Zinc Member
convergence
« on: November 05, 2011, 02:42:09 PM »
ok--here we go again
 :bolt:
when I set my convergence in the hanger to 200 is that yards or feet

when I am behind an enemy plane and it says 600 is that yards or feet

in the offline practice I set a target at 400 set convergence to 400 I am hitting at 400(converging) and when it says 400 on the plane in front of me my tracers are converging at 400 :headscratch:

I have been told the convergence I set in the hanger in yards and the icon in the game is feet--thus set convergence to 200 and my point of aim is then 600 on a plane in the game

so my question is -- is the convergence set in yards or feet and is the game showing yards or feet on the plane in front of me

Thanks Folks!!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: convergence
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 02:48:48 PM »
Distance is shown in yards.
Altitude is shown in feet.

If you're on the ground at a base, and see bombers overhead that show 3k, they are 3,000 yards (or 9,000 feet) above you.
The altitude shown for the base on the map is in feet.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 02:49:42 PM »
yards in both cases  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com/index.php
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 02:50:43 PM »
Doesn't really matter.  When you're 400 behind your foe, and you are set (in convergence) at 400 then you will be ready to rock and roll.  The bigger question is what do you set your convergence for 50's & 303's, versa Cannon rounds.  Be advised, cannon rounds are heavier and drop faster than the lighter rounds.  My point being, you cannot set lighter rounds & cannon rounds to the same convergence.

<S>
Rokit
SWrokit; CO~125th Spartans

RIP.......SWfire, SWmac, GMC, SWonyx

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »
Doesn't really matter.  When you're 400 behind your foe, and you are set (in convergence) at 400 then you will be ready to rock and roll.  The bigger question is what do you set your convergence for 50's & 303's, versa Cannon rounds.  Be advised, cannon rounds are heavier and drop faster than the lighter rounds.  My point being, you cannot set lighter rounds & cannon rounds to the same convergence.

<S>
Rokit

Technically, all rounds drop at the same rate due to gravity. Its the speed of the round that determines how much it drops over a certain distance. Faster rounds will appear to drop less because they cover a greater distance than the slow rounds do in the same time it takes both to hit the ground. Yeah..im nitpicking.

When it comes to setting convergence, If im in a plane that has a mix of cannon and machine gun, I usually base my machine gun convergence on whatever I have my cannon set at. This ensures i have maximum damage at my ideal cannon firing distance. Some people will set their machine gun convergence at a much higher distance so they can use them to get guys to rev when they are running, and then when they rev, they can use their cannon at a closer distance. It really depends on how you use your guns.

If you have nose mounted guns, IMO its best to set them at a very high range. That way you can hit up close and far out.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 04:09:56 PM »

Technically, all rounds drop at the same rate due to gravity. Its the speed of the round that determines how much it drops over a certain distance. Faster rounds will appear to drop less because they cover a greater distance than the slow rounds do in the same time it takes both to hit the ground. Yeah..im nitpicking.

Yes Sir Issac Newton's Laws of gravity you are correct.  You forgot one other variable.  The aerodynamics of the round is the other factor that is affected by the wind.  Just nitpicking  :D
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 04:54:21 PM »
All distance values you see are given in yards.

when the icon says 1K, hes 1000yds away, or 1km if you're metric.

Altitude is always given in feet

speed in MPH

rate of climb in feet per minute
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 05:55:46 PM »
when the icon says 1K, hes 1000yds away, or 1km if you're metric.

Uh, not quite right. Just so someone doesn't use this thread as a reference, 1 km (kilometer) is not 1,000 yards. It's 1,000 meters, which is about 1,094 yards.  ;)

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 06:21:16 PM »
You would also be incorrect in assuming if you see 400 on your screen your rounds are going to converge exactly where you're pointing on target.  His speed and flight angle relative to yours will dictate how far the bullet actually has to travel before it hits.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »
And don't forget, when the distance counter changes from 600 to 400, the target is at 500.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »
I say that if you're convergence is set at 400 Yards that your 50 Cal, and 20 MM will hit the bull's eye at the 400 yard mark.  The lighter bullet will be flatter and the heavier bullet will have more of a arc to it.  Your rounds will be high at 200 yards and low at 600 yards. :neener:
AkCaine

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 12:48:34 AM »
I say that if you're convergence is set at 400 Yards...  Your rounds will be high at 200 yards and low at 600 yards. :neener:

That is not necessarily accurate.  With wing-mounted 50's set to converge at 400yds, your rounds will be LOW at 200, and HIGH at 600.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 08:06:50 AM »
And don't forget, when the distance counter changes from 600 to 400, the target is at 500.

along these lines.

when your the icon says 400, it is actually anything between 300 and 500 yards.

if my memory is correct.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »
Can you explain mtnman why that would be true?  I am curious how bullit path would arc down then up.Is it Site height to muzzle?
AkCaine

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 10:31:53 AM »
Can you explain mtnman why that would be true?  I am curious how bullit path would arc down then up.Is it Site height to muzzle?
On a low winged plane like a P-51 or Spitfire the rounds have to travel up to reach the level of the gunsight, thus at 200 yards they would still be on the upward part of the arc to be at the gunsight's level at 400 yards.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-