Author Topic: Original tank view  (Read 1742 times)

Offline TheRhino

• Zinc Member
Original tank view
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »
I would like to see the original internal defult view brought back on tanks. It was much more realistic (and realism is why I love Aces High), the new defult view with the aiming circle is too 'gamey'.
"May the Air Force be with you"

TheHawk, C.O. 457th 'Grey Nurse' SQN RAAF (Currently Inactive due to slow internet :( )

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Original tank view
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:28:45 PM »
The only reason they are pumping out tons of new tanks is because they don't have to model the internals. Be careful what you wish for. It would reduce a lot of the progress we've gained.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 03:51:50 PM »
The only reason they are pumping out tons of new tanks is because they don't have to model the internals. Be careful what you wish for. It would reduce a lot of the progress we've gained.
In that case i would be nice if they brought the tanks out, then maybe added internal view to them later on.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 05:26:10 PM »
In that case i would be nice if they brought the tanks out, then maybe added internal view to them later on.

So we're going to have half the tank with internal views and half without?

"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 05:32:08 PM »

youe kidding, right?

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »
A big NO, Tanking is what it is right now and its quite fine. Much as I'd like see 2 inches out of a Drivers view, and a bunch of dials that don't work, the commanders view works just fine giving me the information I need.

JG 52

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 06:23:03 PM »
Gamey?  Nah, not quite.  The biggest thing about gv's being "gamey" is the ability to absolutely turn your own sound off and be able to turn the enemy noise up.

The current view offers the player to be in the role of "tank commander", unbuttoned of course.  The old way was far too restrictive with no continuity between the different positions within the tank.  As it is now, only the TC and gunner really swap positions.

Leave it as is, imo. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:02:28 PM »
the new position is just as if you were on your mg the whole time.  which most of us used while moving around anyway.  I see no difference.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »
the new position is just as if you were on your mg the whole time.  which most of us used while moving around anyway.  I see no difference.

semp

A couple of things regarding that:

First, the TC and the AA gunner are not always the same position.  Secondly, the AA gunner under the old system did not make the turret traverse wherever he looked.  Having the TC concept is far more representative of the real deal than the prior system which was like having 1 guy bounce around from position to position.  The TC has total control over the driver, partial control over the gunner (turret traverse), partial control over the loader (co-axial MG), and full control over the radio man/bow machine gunner (bow and co-axial MG's are linked).  Only when the main gun or AA gun need aiming does the TC need to be abandoned.

The TC system is superior in all ways when compared to the old system, imo.   

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
yeah but we talking about where in rl the tc would give directions to the gunner/driver and the tank would adjust accordingly.  so if you really think that you moving the stick is kindda like the tc giving orders to the crew then it is not that different.

we can go back and forth if it is realistic or not and you will get 100 hundreds of opinions either way and not be wrong either way.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 04:52:34 PM »
yeah but we talking about where in rl the tc would give directions to the gunner/driver and the tank would adjust accordingly.  so if you really think that you moving the stick is kindda like the tc giving orders to the crew then it is not that different.

we can go back and forth if it is realistic or not and you will get 100 hundreds of opinions either way and not be wrong either way.

semp

I agree on the opinions thing.  However, with that being said when a squaddie who was a tanker in the First Gulf War and also Iraqi Freedom says the TC interface act far more like the real thing vs having each individual position represented, to me that means something.   :aok

I think that HTC did it right.  Your assumption of me believing that from the TC's position he is giving commands to the crewmen to do X, is correct.  When the swings his view left and the turret follows, the TC is telling the gunner to move turret to X position.  When the tank goes Y speed and turns to Z position, the same happens.  To me, it is all so much more fluid.   

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 04:55:15 PM »
If the only complaint is that you want to look around without aiming the gun, use your VIEW keys. Remember those? I believe they still work! Leave your aim point where it is and look around!

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 05:00:19 PM »
If the only complaint is that you want to look around without aiming the gun, use your VIEW keys. Remember those? I believe they still work! Leave your aim point where it is and look around!

You can still look around the the machine gun, right?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 05:02:33 PM »
I was thinking from the tank commander position, but that's what I recall. I was using a joystick instead of mouse and I recall my hat keys still worked. I think if you use a mouse your keypad should still work.

I haven't tanked in ages. Can somebody verify this in-game?

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 05:48:41 PM »
When at the TC's position, my hat switch with allow me to look in the 8 directions.  No need to hop in to the AA gunner's position to swing your view around.