Author Topic: A Few Thoughts About Realism  (Read 1782 times)

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
A Few Thoughts About Realism
« on: November 12, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »
Lately there have been a lot of posts asking for things to make the game "more real".  Things like, no icons... killshooter off... friendly collisions on... removal of F3 mode in certain planes... damaged instruments... random system failure...  and the list goes on and on.

For those wishing for these things... I can understand your points... and why you are asking.  You want a totally immersive experience playing Aces High.  You want to really feel like you are flying in real combat.

On the other hand... there are those that ask for things like AI gunners for bombers, F3 for all planes, targeting systems, repair during rearm, and other things to make the game "easier" and more arcade like.  

What I think we should all remember is that in all things there needs to be balance.  Personally, I think the HTC Staff does a pretty good job of this.  They have some customers that are purists and realists.  They have some that come from the PS3 and XBOX generations, and they have some that fall in the middle.  To take the main arenas too far to one side or the other is risking losing paying customers that dont want to spend their money playing in that extreme environment... no matter which way it goes.  And it is the combined income from ALL the paying customers that keeps Aces High going.

To move too far into "realism" will make this a game for only those who want it that way... and make the learning curve even steeper than it is now.  This will not only drive away current customers, but prevent new ones from coming in.

To take it too far away from realism, will drive away the "purists"... and those who want as real a WW2 combat experience as they can get.  More, and possibly younger players may join... but lets face it... there are already games out there that have these features, and they are better looking in terms of effects and graphics.  What sets AH apart... in MY opinion... is it's community, and the dedication of its staff.

Many of these things can be done now with the Custom Arenas.  For those that want it... they are perfect places to test your theories, and see if others want to play the game that way too.

So for what my opinion is worth... if it is worth anything... I think we have things pretty darn good.  Ultimately HTC is going to decide what is best for their business... but I dont see them ever taking things too far in one direction and risk losing money.  Remember... its a game to us... but its their jobs, and how they make their livings.

Should any of us stop wishing for things?  No... we should not.  Because occasionally... just occasionally, one gets through and gets implemented.  And that makes the 174035 Posts and 9688 Topics currently in the wishlist worth reading.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:59:23 PM by AKP »

***G3-MF***

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: A Few Thoughts About Realism
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 05:14:10 PM »
Baloon Wars!    :banana:
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 05:34:12 PM »
You know he's trying to get in good with Santa this year...

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 05:35:15 PM »
You know he's trying to get in good with Santa this year...

Damn... I'm busted!  :D

***G3-MF***

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 05:39:43 PM »
I've got that covered. While santa is busy modeling my present, I've taken the liberty to send Santa and all his elves a small cargo plane filled with assorted alcahols. Chilled in the fridgid 30,000 ft enviornment on its way to thier toy factory in Texas.

I would recomend the blackberry wine, and some of the local micro-brews as you're starter  :D.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 05:52:55 PM »
I've got that covered. While santa is busy modeling my present, I've taken the liberty to send Santa and all his elves a small cargo plane filled with assorted alcahols. Chilled in the fridgid 30,000 ft enviornment on its way to thier toy factory in Texas.

I would recomend the blackberry wine, and some of the local micro-brews as you're starter  :D.

I would recommend one of these three things:
1. Never typing again
2. Use a browser with spell check
3. Um uh.. Oops  :D
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 06:30:42 PM »
 :aok  Well put AKP!

Especially, the emphasis on balance and providing customers a product they enjoy.  For instance, a damage model including instruments, adds immersive fun and realism, but at what cost?  HTC, has a good track record by me.  :aok  I will take the goodies they have in store for us and like a  :x child on Christmas eve, am eagerly anticipating what I might find under the AH2 tree.

So dear SAHnta.......

There are milk and cookies on the table.  Please check my list and I understand if you were not able to bring them all to me, because you had so many lists to read this year.

ChiLLi  :salute

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 01:44:15 AM »
With different arenas, you could do both (arcade arena and realism arena).  Air Warrior had higher and lower-realism areas for the different types of players.  I'm not sure if that would be worth it for Aces High.  It might result in one arena that isn't used, or worse yet (from my perspective), we could find that the bulk of the player base likes an arcade-like environment the best, and the realistic arena could wither.  Better to have one like we have today that for that to happen, in my opinion.

Another way to do it is to have relaxed realism result in lesser performance (like turning on the stall limiter -- it's easier, but turning it off allows you to push certain edges of the flight envelope more).  That only works for some things, though, of course, mainly things that affect how you operate the aircraft (like stall limiter or engine controls).  That's a good way to go for such things -- you don't need separate arenas for it.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 03:52:31 AM »
More sheep :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 06:25:49 AM »
question to the op, how would adding things that could be damaged affect the balance in any manner? not random failures, just things that could get damaged from gun fire.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Myg

• aka Torquila (PNG)
  • Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 06:33:19 AM »
Howz about a "Higher level Arena" for people who have played a certain amount of time? So when you've got so many kills/etc/hours in flight you are moved to it automatically.

Those who want to move to it early, have to be nominated by atleast 5 people or something.

Oldies are good to keep around, but its healthier for the community if they don't interfere too much with groups of new players (who need to build and assert their own culture/etc).

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
question to the op, how would adding things that could be damaged affect the balance in any manner? not random failures, just things that could get damaged from gun fire.

My personal opinion is that I would like to see more of a "progressive" damage system.  As in... a damaged rudder that is less effective but still there, along with the possibility of a rudder that is completely gone.  Think of it as each component having a certain number of damage points.  Lets say a rudder has 10.  The more points of damage it takes, the harder it is to maneuver with... until it takes 10 or more and its gone.  Not sure if this is even possible, or feasible in AH.  But that is an aspect of realism that I think would enhance the game... not hurt it.

But to answer your question more directly... I was really just using damaged instrumentation as an example.  I dont really have an opinion on that.  It's just one of the posts that caught my eye that deal with realism.  Would it suck to have your gauges shot out?  Yes.  Would it take away from the enjoyment of the game?  Not sure.

***G3-MF***

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 06:47:23 AM »
Howz about a "Higher level Arena" for people who have played a certain amount of time? So when you've got so many kills/etc/hours in flight you are moved to it automatically.

Those who want to move to it early, have to be nominated by atleast 5 people or something.

Oldies are good to keep around, but its healthier for the community if they don't interfere too much with groups of new players (who need to build and assert their own culture/etc).

Not sure about any type of nomination or requirements to play in an arena.  That could promote an elitist atmosphere which could divide the community more that it is now.  But... a "hardcore" arena... open to any who want to play in it might not be bad.  However... you have that option now with the custom arenas.  Set up an arena with killshooter off, collisions on, no icons, bases that take more troops to capture, stall limiter off, etc...  Then get people to fly in it.  If you can fill it with 16 people day in and day out for a month... and have people complaining that its full and they cant get in, or they set up 5 or 6 like that.... it would seem to me you have made a case to HTC that there is a desire for a new main arena to be set up that way.

As for an "arcade" type arena... we kindof already have one with the DA and the ability for all planes to have F3 mode.  It has a solid following but doesnt overshadow the mains.  There are some that dont use F3 while in it, and there are some that use nothing but F3 while they are in it. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:52:34 AM by AKP »

***G3-MF***

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 07:05:20 AM »
My personal opinion is that I would like to see more of a "progressive" damage system.  As in... a damaged rudder that is less effective but still there, along with the possibility of a rudder that is completely gone.  Think of it as each component having a certain number of damage points.  Lets say a rudder has 10.  The more points of damage it takes, the harder it is to maneuver with... until it takes 10 or more and its gone.  Not sure if this is even possible, or feasible in AH.  But that is an aspect of realism that I think would enhance the game... not hurt it.

But to answer your question more directly... I was really just using damaged instrumentation as an example.  I dont really have an opinion on that.  It's just one of the posts that caught my eye that deal with realism.  Would it suck to have your gauges shot out?  Yes.  Would it take away from the enjoyment of the game?  Not sure.
ok, i was just wondering why you mentioned the damaged gauges. i don't personally think it would be any different than the canopy getting splashed with oil every single time the engine gets hit. would be a bit of a challenge trying to rtb with the altimeter or air speed indicator inoperable, but no worse than having a pilot wound.

a progressive damage system would be nice to have depending on how it was implemented. how does htc determine component damage/failure now, is it damage points or something else?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 07:06:44 AM »

:lol

Hmm it sounds as if somebody wants to hold the conch.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV