Author Topic: Lames  (Read 2554 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: Lames
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2011, 01:15:42 PM »
bruv didn't say play 300 hours in a tour....
10 hours a day is a bit much. There'd be no time for afternoon Tea and Cake...
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 01:16:31 PM »
I don't think it would have an effect on the bomb/bail strategy, as the intensive structure we have today doesn't stop them either.

Maybe they don't stop them entirely (no "solution" will ever do that), but to a large degree? ;)

You can't have the prefect setup of game mechanisms in the MA, because no "perfect" or "right" way of playing the game exists. Changing key settings to improve a single aspect, no matter how valid in itself, could wreak havoc on the general balance between many different styles, reasons for playing, player types. Many proposals for improving the game (not limited to this topic, but it's a good example) end up with a "aim for one, but hurt 'em all" situation.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:18:31 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2011, 01:18:20 PM »
maybe some kind of limiter that prevent people from wasting the country ressources?

the ressource would reload for each player over time, and low eny equipment would hurt your ressource bar way more. With some tuning it could prevent a player to up 3 heacy lancasters and have troops in the same 30mins, allowing all kinds of strategies.

high eny rides would be free. Noobs wouls get a larger bar for a couple months so they can waste a few P51's a day....I like my idea :aok

Works fine for a clearly defined and structured scenario.. for the MA, this is horrible.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2011, 01:47:39 PM »
For someone flying a bomber, bailing is never helping the score at all. It's three guaranteed ""deaths" for score purposes, and thus hits your damage/sortie rating. If you fly for score in a buff, you will try to do everything not to get caught in the first place. If this is not possible (or simply didn't work as expected) and you are about to get attacked, it's always better to fight. You can't make it worse, but you may actually survive the attack and get home. Fighting us a chance. Bailing is not.

I'm perpelexed (I know, I know, what else is new?).  I find this in the AH Help section:

Death Multipliers

Landed       1.0
Discoed        .25
Bailed           .5
Ditched        .75
Captured      .4
Killed            .25
Crashed        .25

http://www.hitechcreations.com/Help-Section/Aces-High-Features/aces-high-help-scoring.html

So I glean from this that you get one point if you return to base, one-half a point if you bail, and one-quarter of a point if you die.  If you're piloting a bomber and assess your chances of returning to base are poor, would you not maximize your score by bailing rather than getting shot down?

- oldman (this has been why I always shoot parachutes, I hate score-mongers)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2011, 02:04:38 PM »
So I glean from this that you get one point if you return to base, one-half a point if you bail, and one-quarter of a point if you die.  If you're piloting a bomber and assess your chances of returning to base are poor, would you not maximize your score by bailing rather than getting shot down?

But a bail is still a death for damage/death purposes, a very important stat for bombers. And each death (including bails) thus has an impact on all damage points accumulated so far. For example, if you have no deaths so far, just a single one will halve your D/S.

So the potential gain in damage score for this single sortie for a triple bail is usually more than offset by the reduction in this player's global D/S

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 02:46:52 PM »
But a bail is still a death for damage/death purposes, a very important stat for bombers.

Humor me, I'm not good at score things, but it appears that damage/death is just one of five base categories which together make up bomber score...yes?

- oldman

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 02:53:37 PM »
maybe some kind of limiter that prevent people from wasting the country ressources?

high eny rides would be free. Noobs wouls get a larger bar for a couple months so they can waste a few P51's a day....I like my idea :aok
I waste dozens upon dozens of 51s every time I play. To limit the use of them is unacceptable for me. :mad: I for one will not rtb until bingo ammo, out of gas or dead. If I were limited to ...lets say four 51s a day, this would only make me run like all the others.
I personally like to try things in that plane that folks tell me it's not meant to do. Call me stupid and lame but ya won't call me scared.  :D

Oh and vDallas?  well he's the king of Lame and always will be. I just consider the source and move on.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:57:17 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »
I waste dozens upon dozens of 51s every time I play. To limit the use of them is unacceptable for me. :mad: I for one will not rtb until bingo ammo, out of gas or dead. If I were limited to ...lets say four 51s a day, this would only make me run like all the others.
I personally like to try things in that plane that folks tell me it's not meant to do. Call me stupid and lame but ya won't call me scared.  :D

LOL I understand the problem.  My profits from Cyber Lockheed P38G production would drop tremendously if I was limited to a certain amount a day :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »

Humor me, I'm not good at score things, but it appears that damage/death is just one of five base categories which together make up bomber score...yes?

- oldman

Yes, but...

1) As I pointed out, the advantageous point bonus of a bail benefits only this single sortie, whereas the associated death (a bail is a death) hurts ALL sorties. That's why fighting it out and possibly survivng is much better than bailing.

and

2)  some categories can have a bigger impact, often due to the difficulty associated with them.

One example would be K/D and K/H in fighter mode. Often players try very hard for a high K/D, which isn't that hard to achieve and (more importantly) to maintain over many sorties by flying very "timid". But ignored by many (as you can see in the frequent arguments on the BBS, to an extent  that K/D is generally equated with score itself) is K/H

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 03:53:26 PM »
1) As I pointed out, the advantageous point bonus of a bail benefits only this single sortie, whereas the associated death (a bail is a death) hurts ALL sorties. That's why fighting it out and possibly survivng is much better than bailing.

Thanks.  I suspect, though, that many people have not thought this out well enough, so that they believe they are maximizing their points by bailing instead of dying.

I'm still going to shoot bailers for that reason.

- oldman

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »
guess what?
when i dont get anything else. anything!!  but ho, run, gang, ack hugg, stik stir, then big mouths, any friggen thing else... not even once!! an infamous La vulcher calling someone a spitdweeb... or the original ho calling someone a hoer... all chicken crap, worthless scum... if amazingly shukks. i gave up any hope now
its worthless to play this damned game. nuf said     once the glass is getting full, and its that time.
all hail the lamers

btw Wiley, they wont ho, wont run, stick stir, ack hugg then? Will i get any good fight then??  : (
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:01:25 PM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
guess what?
when i dont get anything else. anything!!  but ho, run, gang, ack hugg, stik stir, then big mouths, any friggen thing else... not even once!! an infamous La vulcher calling someone a spitdweeb... or the original ho calling someone a hoer... all chicken crap, worthless scum... if amazingly shukks. i gave up any hope now
its worthless to play this damned game. nuf said     once the glass is getting full, and its that time.
all hail the lamers

I can't help but notice a good chunk of your comments above refer to people beating their gums about stuff.  Suggestion?  Detune 200.  Gaming experience will improve significantly.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2011, 03:59:58 PM »

Thanks.  I suspect, though, that many people have not thought this out well enough, so that they believe they are maximizing their points by bailing instead of dying.

I can speak only from my own experience, but the majority of BnBs I encountered were what one would call "landgrabbers" - drop town, bail, get m3... or "miss CV, bail, bring another set of Lancs" - The kind of guys doing it for war efficiency.
You can also track arena scores and stats...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »

the ressource would reload for each player over time, and low eny equipment would hurt your ressource bar way more. With some tuning it could prevent a player to up 3 heacy lancasters and have troops in the same 30mins, allowing all kinds of strategies.

I think some kind of reward/penalty system should be used.

If you RTB your equipment, no penalty, if you get shot down, no penalty, but if you bail undamaged, you wait 15 minutes before you can up that type of vehicle again. You let a plane ditch, you still get the kill and points, he gets no penalty.

The game is turning into a watered down version of "Risk". Creating structure and forcing players to fight may piss off some of the players, but all your not stopping them from doing the things they want to do, they just have to go about it a different way.

Games need structure, games need rules. Once that structure is put in place, and everyone knows the rules, THEN people can decide if they want to continue to play the game, what ever the game is then.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2011, 04:40:21 PM »
I miss the vDALLAS PMs
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."