Author Topic: Components of fighter score...  (Read 6093 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Components of fighter score...
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:13:47 AM »
does anyone out side of HTC know the variables and computations involved in scoring and aggregating/weighing the various sub-cateories of fighter rank?

given  kd, ks, kt, %, points etc = ftr rank for example, does the formula allow us to plug in our own nbr for one or more of the variables to see the effect on ranking?

i.e., what would my rank be if my k/s was say, 1.72 instead of whatever it is now, while all other variables remain teh same?

anyone? class? lusche?

<and to think I used to like maths, and also realize there are some uber-geeks lurking about these forums> 
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Components of fighter score...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 03:57:48 AM »
does anyone out side of HTC know the variables and computations involved in scoring and aggregating/weighing the various sub-cateories of fighter rank?

given  kd, ks, kt, %, points etc = ftr rank for example, does the formula allow us to plug in our own nbr for one or more of the variables to see the effect on ranking?

i.e., what would my rank be if my k/s was say, 1.72 instead of whatever it is now, while all other variables remain teh same?

anyone? class? lusche?

<and to think I used to like maths, and also realize there are some uber-geeks lurking about these forums>  

It's very simple. All those subcategories have the same weight, there are no complex math involved, just comparing numbers and simple additions.

Fighter rank is calculated as follows: Each day the players are ranked in each sub category with the best on top and the worst at the bottom. After that, all those sub category rank numbers are added together for each player. The one with the smallest total will be fighter #1, the one with the biggest sum will be last.
It's the same for all other ranks; and total rank is working the same way: fighter, attack, bomber and vehicle rank number added together.

Example:
At this moment, Bruv119 is #5 in K/D, #4 in K/S, #20 in K/H, #62 in Hit% and #247 in Kill Points. Sum = 338, Fighter Rank 3
Esset: #61 (K/D), #57(K/S), #49(K/H), #37(Hit%),  #117(Kill Points). Sum = 321, and that's why his fighter rank (#2) is better than Bruv's

Additional blah blah:

By how much your rank will "improve" by getting a sub category to a particular value is a bit difficult to tell, as it depends on you relative standing. If you have a relatively low score in that, even small changes can give you a big boost, but the higher your score already is, the more difficult it becomes.

To illustrate this: The actual fighter mode K/S distribution of tour 141:

Getting your K/S from 0.5 to 1.0 would had resulted in a big jump in that category's rank number (from about #1400 to about #500), but from 2.5 to 3.0 the gain is much smaller.

As a rule of thumb, to get into the top 50 in fighter rank, your sum of sub category rank #'s has to be below 1000, to get into the top 10 it needs to be below 500. Number one in fighters can have a sub-rank sum as low as 80 at times.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:15:33 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 06:13:06 AM »

given  kd, ks, kt, %, points etc = ftr rank for example, does the formula allow us to plug in our own nbr for one or more of the variables to see the effect on ranking?

anyone? class? lusche?

The sub-categories of your rank aren't figured out by a calculation against your K/S, it's just a matter of where your k/s stands in comparison to everyone else. 

If you improved your k/s from 1.8 to 1.7, and everyone else had the same level of improvement, your rank would stay the same.  If your k/s worsened from 1.8 to 1.9 while everyone else worsened by .11, your rank would improve.

Your rank can improve/worsen even if you don't fly.                   

MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 06:21:13 AM »
The sub-categories of your rank aren't figured out by a calculation against your K/S, it's just a matter of where your k/s stands in comparison to everyone else. 

If you improved your k/s from 1.8 to 1.7, and everyone else had the same level of improvement, your rank would stay the same.  If your k/s worsened from 1.8 to 1.9 while everyone else worsened by .11, your rank would improve.

Your rank can improve/worsen even if you don't fly.                   

I wish I had explained it in such a simple & elegant way  :uhoh

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 06:59:06 AM »
Now I know :)

Bruv is the best  :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 07:13:38 AM »
Thanks for clarifying how the systems work. Never cared to understand it more fully (and on retrospect, I knew it was relative ranking.)

My gunnery stat has long supressed my greatness.  :noid   :banana: :bolt:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 07:33:07 AM »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 07:49:18 AM »
I fly the 110 almost exclusively as of recently and shoot off the rear gun ammo almost empty on most flights.

Do the wasted rounds fired from the rear gun affect gunnery score?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 08:03:16 AM »
I fly the 110 almost exclusively as of recently and shoot off the rear gun ammo almost empty on most flights.

Do the wasted rounds fired from the rear gun affect gunnery score?

Yes. After all, they would also add to score if you would shoot somebody down with them ;)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Fighter Rank Oracle
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 08:12:26 AM »
Ok, now you can check what difference a change of k/s or any other sub category will make for fighter rank

The AH Fighter Rank Oracle:

http://www.mediafire.com/?atjjw33aztz0c8z

A crude spreadsheet based on Tour 141 data. Enter values into the green area and the sheet will give you a rank estimation.  Rank is given for the finished tour!
It may differ a bit  from official AH ranks and will be very much off  for players ranked near the bottom (those with "0" in one or more catgories), as multiple pilots with same rank # can't happen in my version. But it will give you a very good ballpark number for most players. A quick test with Shane's data for tour 141 gave me rank # 179, his actual rank was 180.  

:banana:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:00:04 AM by Lusche »

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 08:19:10 AM »
what are 'kill points' exactly?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 08:20:14 AM »
what are 'kill points' exactly?

The points you get down for killing and damaging enemy aircraft.

In fact, they are for the most part damage points inflicted on the enemy, the actual "kill" is worth only one additional point.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 08:25:58 AM »
The points you get down for killing and damaging enemy aircraft.

In fact, they are for the most part damage points inflicted on the enemy, the actual "kill" is worth only one additional point.

#1 in kill points.   :aok :banana: :D

:noid

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 08:57:12 AM »
And #2344 for landings.

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 09:02:18 AM »
And #2344 for landings.