Author Topic: Ferdinand  (Read 1834 times)

Offline 1Nicolas

• Copper Member
Ferdinand
« on: November 26, 2011, 09:11:30 PM »
How about a Ferdinand/Elefant tank detsroyer?? Its most Historical battle was the Battle Of Kursk, 1943.
Here is a nice pic with Specs:

Picture: The United States Army Ordnance Museum's restored Elefant.

Type Heavy tank destroyer
Place of origin  Nazi Germany
Production history
Designer Dr. Ferdinand Porsche
Designed 1942-43
Manufacturer Porsche AG
Produced March – May 1943
(modification into Elefant October – November 1943)
Number built 91
Specifications
Weight 65 tonnes (140,000 lb)
Length 8.14 m (26 ft 8 in) with gun
Width 3.38 m (11 ft 1 in)
Height 2.97 m (9 ft 9 in)
Crew 6 (driver, radio-operator, commander, gunner, two loaders)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armor 200 mm (7.87 in)
Main
armament 8.8 cm Pak 43/2 L/71, also known as StuK 43/1
Secondary
armament 7.92 mm MG 34 machine gun (only Elefant)
Engine 2×Maybach HL 120 petrol
2× 300 PS (296 hp, 221 kW)
Power/weight 9.23 PS/tonne
Suspension longitudinal torsion-bar
Operational
range 150 km (93 mi) road
90 km (56 mi) cross-country
Speed 30 kilometres per hour (19 mph)
Oh yeah I can kill a Tiger and Panther

(My World Of Tank signature)
There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Re: Ferdinand
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »
Won't be added any time soon, many others would be first.
JG 52

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »
Much rather have StuG III Ausf G. and the M26 Pershing added first.

Or the KV-1 added before both of those. but +1 anyways.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:54:33 AM »

Ferdinand would probably be added well before the M26, problem is we don't need any more late war heavy tanks, EW and Midwar are suffering horribly.
JG 52

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 12:57:27 AM »
Ferdinand would probably be added well before the M26, problem is we don't need any more late war heavy tanks, EW and Midwar are suffering horribly.
Doubt that. The americans dont have a hard-hitting tank to compete with the King tiger yet. The brits tech have the firefly. The russians have the t34/85. The americans havent receives the Pershing yet.

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 01:00:57 AM »
Doubt that. The americans dont have a hard-hitting tank to compete with the King tiger yet. The brits tech have the firefly. The russians have the t34/85. The americans havent receives the Pershing yet.
the M4/76 can 1 shot a tiger in the frontal armor, given you hit the right spot.

Offline 1Nicolas

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 07:14:19 AM »

Alright then Pershing, Sturgmechutz III Ausf G Then Ferdinand

(My World Of Tank signature)
There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet.

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 07:46:36 AM »
+1
Are those our bombers?-famous last words

Member of the congregation of The church of David Wales

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 08:47:41 AM »

EDIT: I think there are other turret-less tanks that would be a better choice to add.  If you want the effects of a Ferdi or Ele, then just take a King Tiger or Tiger and not use the turret.  Same thing.   :D

I'm not so sure the score is about "competing with the King Tiger", but instead filling out the historically important and MA able line up.  Also, 2 comments regarding your "vs King Tiger" comment: A: the US never did have anything to compete vs the King Tiger, even the Pershing couldn't come close.  Which as a matter of fact, the US 90mm was STILL inferior to the British 17 Pdr and Panther's 75mm.  The Pershing offered 102mm of armor up front which could still be defeated *easily* by the King Tiger at 2000 yards.  B: The T34/85 was a step behind the M4/76mm in ability to "combat" the King Tiger gun to gun.  The 2 things the Soviets had going for them on the Ost Front was first and foremost was the sheer numbers of tanks.  The speed of the T34 offered it a chance to run the gauntlet and get a flanking shot on the side or rear armor, but it still had to be too close for comfort.  Point being, the Soviets have nothing to compete with the King Tiger in AH.

The 2 best tanks in AH to go head to head with a King Tiger are the Firefly and Panther, preferably the Panther because at least there is a chance to deflect off a shot or 2 before the kill shot comes crashing in.        
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:24:34 AM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 12:47:28 PM »
read many stories about the t34's ramming the king tigers immobilizing them, then go and shoot the crew.  easiest way to kill the tigers and kt.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 01:08:45 PM »
read many stories about the t34's ramming the king tigers immobilizing them, then go and shoot the crew.  easiest way to kill the tigers and kt.

semp
i know for a fact that T34's were told to ram Tigers at the battle of kursk because the gun couldnt penetrate the armor. mostly to just disable the tanks gun in general and cause a nuisance for the germans.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 01:12:43 PM »
I've read stories of, and seen pictures of tank gunners shooting the enemy tanks main gun to get a 'weapons kill' on enemy GV. I mean literally, a hole through the main gun. First read of this tactic by German gunners against Soviet T-34/85 and Stalins. Once they had 'weapon kill' they could move onto next, immediate threat. If I knew how to post pics I would. Amazing mid-and short- range shots.

Boo
221st AR, 11th Cav
(Former life)
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 01:24:55 PM »
I've read stories of, and seen pictures of tank gunners shooting the enemy tanks main gun to get a 'weapons kill' on enemy GV. I mean literally, a hole through the main gun. First read of this tactic by German gunners against Soviet T-34/85 and Stalins. Once they had 'weapon kill' they could move onto next, immediate threat. If I knew how to post pics I would. Amazing mid-and short- range shots.

Boo
221st AR, 11th Cav
(Former life)
http://photobucket.com/

Go to that website and sign up for it. its free, all you have to do is upload the pic then click on the IMG link then paste it here.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 01:33:59 PM »

semp
Doesnt the king tiger weigh much much more than a t34? How does ramming something like a king tiger in a little t34 work?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 01:42:05 PM »
Doesnt the king tiger weigh much much more than a t34? How does ramming something like a king tiger in a little t34 work?

tell that to the russians as they did it in ww2.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.