Author Topic: Meeting real, live ah players  (Read 4385 times)

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
Re: Meeting real, live ah players
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2011, 08:54:38 AM »
Who takes a vacation in Iowa?  :neener:
I don't live in Iowa either, had to drive there and it was a long trip, I'm 38 miles from the state line.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2011, 04:31:46 PM »
Nope, never been there. But I can read both maps and wikipedia. If Finland were an US state, it would rank #5 by area. Alaska is 5 times as large as Finland, Texas only twice, California 1.25 x , Montana 1.12 x, New Mexico and the rest are smaller.

@mthrockmor From where I live, it takes 6 hours to drive to our Annual Spring Meeting place, Virrat. 7 hours to Vaasa autumn con. Hey, Finland is three times as large as Tennessee!

it has taken me 49 hours to drive from California to nc nonstop.  to go to dallas is 23 hours from californa and it's 1/2 way across the us.  to go to dayton oh, the other annual meet is 34 hours.  worst thing about driving is traffic in some cities.  it has taken me 5 hours to drive from north hollywood to my house a distance of perhaps 70 miles.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2011, 04:02:04 AM »
Funny how everyone points out how long the distances are for not meeting each other in America...

Another calculation: During these 10 years about 1.5 of 100,000 Finns have or have had a paid AH account. That makes 1 for every 5000 square km/2000 square miles. Figure it as a circle with a radius of 40 km/25 miles.

Knowing that the population density in the USA is double compared to here, there should be more than 2 AH'ers living on the plot of that size. Evenly placed, there'd be a distance of 35 miles between each other. I suppose the percentage of players is bigger over there than here due to advertising, language etc. , so the distance between two players would be even smaller.

The number of Finnish players is based to my memory: those 46 or so I've met plus some 35 I haven't/have forgot/don't know of. The number of American players during the last decade is a commercial secret of HiTechCreations, Inc. Compared to the population, the 1.5 players in every 100,000 people gives 4,640 current and past US AH'ers during a decade, which I think must be highly underestimated. The calculations above are based on the supposition that there were at least the same number of players in America per square mile than here.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2011, 04:03:19 AM »
People... Face to Face... In broad daylight...
Oh Noez Sunshine
I'D MELT!
!!!

:rofl
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2011, 04:06:10 AM »
(geographical stuff)

I may mix up different games... but wasn't there, long time a go, a map on someone's AH website which players could mark their location? Kind of international AH atlas?  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2011, 04:28:38 AM »
Funny how everyone points out how long the distances are for not meeting each other in America...

Another calculation: During these 10 years about 1.5 of 100,000 Finns have or have had a paid AH account. That makes 1 for every 5000 square km/2000 square miles. Figure it as a circle with a radius of 40 km/25 miles.

Knowing that the population density in the USA is double compared to here, there should be more than 2 AH'ers living on the plot of that size. Evenly placed, there'd be a distance of 35 miles between each other. I suppose the percentage of players is bigger over there than here due to advertising, language etc. , so the distance between two players would be even smaller.

The number of Finnish players is based to my memory: those 46 or so I've met plus some 35 I haven't/have forgot/don't know of. The number of American players during the last decade is a commercial secret of HiTechCreations, Inc. Compared to the population, the 1.5 players in every 100,000 people gives 4,640 current and past US AH'ers during a decade, which I think must be highly underestimated. The calculations above are based on the supposition that there were at least the same number of players in America per square mile than here.

The distances involved are one factor. The bigger part of it most likely is that most of us are not going to drive more than a couple hours to see someone from inside a game. Not speaking for anyone else here but I for one am not a large party kind of person. I don't like going to large gatherings and hanging out for hours on end.

I'm sure it is all about mindset as much as the distances involved. Most of the US lives in fairly developed areas and am not used to nor have a great deal of ambition to drive any great distances. I know I can find most of what I want or need within 15 minutes of my house.

I have considered trying to meet up with others at WWII Weekend in Reading, which is where I met caldera at. I go as often as I can but I don't usually think about trying to find AH'ers in that crowd. It's a pretty busy day as it is and I usually drive there immediately following work, making it even worse.

Just my thoughts and I may be the exception.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2011, 08:19:09 AM »
The distances involved are one factor. The bigger part of it most likely is that most of us are not going to drive more than a couple hours to see someone from inside a game. Not speaking for anyone else here but I for one am not a large party kind of person. I don't like going to large gatherings and hanging out for hours on end.

I'm sure it is all about mindset as much as the distances involved. Most of the US lives in fairly developed areas and am not used to nor have a great deal of ambition to drive any great distances. I know I can find most of what I want or need within 15 minutes of my house.

I have considered trying to meet up with others at WWII Weekend in Reading, which is where I met caldera at. I go as often as I can but I don't usually think about trying to find AH'ers in that crowd. It's a pretty busy day as it is and I usually drive there immediately following work, making it even worse.

Just my thoughts and I may be the exception.

Damn! I wonder how many times I've walked past you, or sat next to you on the flight line, or maybe shared a table at the shows in the hanger. Most of the players I've met are at that show. I've been to a half dozen or so in the last 10-12 years.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2011, 10:33:22 AM »
Unless you go on Saturdays, not many.

Most people it seems go either on the first day to beat the crowd or on Sunday. I work both of those days so Saturday is the only one that I can make and like I said it's rough. The first year was really bad. I rode the motorcycle from York, PA to Reading and sat in stop and go traffic on the interstate for 15 minutes on a day that hit 100 degrees after working all night.

Maybe this year I will let everyone know what I am wearing so they can find me.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2011, 06:44:40 PM »
Ya, most of my trips are on Saturday. I drive down from MA on friday night after work and hit the show when the gates open in the morning. Spend the day, even having had the chicken dinner a couple times and then head back to the hotel for the night. Drive back to MA Sunday morning. Out of all the people I've met and talked to there only 2 still fly, well one and a half. AKdogg, and Murdr. Murdr is too busy being a rock star these days so we don't see him much any more.

Biggest problem is the show is on the same weekend as the HS graduations around here. I have to give up the trip for sons, nieces, and nephews making it out of HS alive!

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2011, 09:27:42 PM »
In that case then I would say we had to have crossed paths. Maybe even shared a bus from the parking area since last year i was on one of the first buses from the main parking lot.

I ordinarily tread pretty lightly when making plans to go since my wife and my anniversary is that week too. She doesn't enjoy it as much as my daughter and I do.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2011, 09:38:29 PM »
Between the 2003 Indianapolis AH Con, the 2008, 2010 AH Gatherings in Dayton and AirZoo meets I've met more than 300 folks from this game.    I'll be attending this years Gathering, because someone has to drink some beer and help Chef grill....

I will also try to attend a Finland Spring or Winter Meeting within the next few years.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2011, 04:38:24 AM »
Highly understandable. I don't like mass gatherings, either, and I guess in the USA they are way bigger than here. Finding a fellow AH'er in some WW2 event with tens of thousands of people is equivalent to the needle in the haystack.

What I wanted to point out with my calculations, was to show that statistically there should be a couple of AH players living within a half an hour's ride. It shouldn't be too difficult to announce e.g. on this forum one's willingness to meet other people in a certain area and then arrange the gathering to a nice place, be it a cafe, pub, restaurant or your own backyard depending on the agenda of the meeting.

The first fellow AH'er I ever met was Kanttori. In fact we had already known each other for some months when he heard about AH and asked me to join him to play. He's got a large network of acquintances whom he used to talk into trying this. After about six months of playing I gave a party for my 40th birthday inviting all squad members, too. That was the first time I met people whom I had learned to know in cartoon skies, our squad leader coming from 400 km away.

On our cross squads bulletin board forum we also have a sticky with people's names and addresses. Every once in a while someone starts a thread telling he'd be travelling to a certain town asking to meet local AH'ers. As Rondar hinted in his post starting this thread, it's mostly grabbing the opportunity, in his case his daughter living in the same town as Heeler.

My door is always open to any fellow AH'er passing by.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2011, 01:28:42 PM »
I've met Serenity IRL, and I need to fly up to Dallas and meet Dicho because I owe him an airplane ride.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2011, 01:31:41 PM »
I've met Serenity IRL, and I need to fly up to Dallas and meet Dicho because I owe him an airplane ride.

Make a detour to TNP and pick me up, I owe Dicho a few things  :devil

Wurz
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.