Author Topic: P-47.  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
Re: P-47.
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »
About the chart Krusty posted:
remember, the jug carries a load of fuel. As far as i know, those charts are with 100% fuel. So when its getting lighter, the jug is overtaking the pony (the fuel is a larger part of the total weight).

JugHead, you said you dont like how the M handles.
About 7-8 months ago i was taking a trip in the DA. I found the light M a very capable dogfighter, IMO thats better than a nearly full tank 109.
You talking about its handling characteristics: i was able to make a zeek (Maxous) do circles around me by tailwhipping left and right. My tactic worked til i ran outta altitude and the zeek started the continous circling...

So you can hate it, but thats still one of the steadyest planes in game, an excellent gun platform, fast like the lightning, climbs very well.

You wanted my opinion (discuss...): the d11 rocks, the d25 and d40 shucks, the N just cant roll well, the M handles like a d11 but much faster and climbs better.

Edit: may try it once, Krusty. Anyway, once a spit14 was trying to rolling scissor with my light N. While he was outturning me, i could stay inside and be slower, so he overshot and lost it. Not bad from a fat boy   ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:37:20 PM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:12:20 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 01:28:08 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:12:29 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 01:29:30 PM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:12:44 AM by Skuzzy »
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 01:49:11 PM »
See Rules #2, #4
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:12:57 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 02:25:10 PM »

For the average player in the MA I would place the JUGS in order of best to worst as such.

#1- D11
#2- D40
#3- NJUG
#4- MJUG
#5- D25

Ofcourse The NJUG in my hands is something special and beautiful!

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 02:33:09 PM »

For the average player in the MA I would place the JUGS in order of best to worst as such.

#1- D11
#2- D40
#3- NJUG
#4- MJUG
#5- D-25

Agreed

Ofcourse The NJUG in my hands is something special and beautiful!

JUGgler

as long as I dont get that rocket vulch!

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 02:35:56 PM »

long as I dont get that rocket vulch!

:rofl :rofl  :aok

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 02:47:26 PM »
Really the d-25 is  the worst of them all? I LIKE the D-25! not as much as the D-11  but..ah  crap I dont have a cool  Jug related name so I  dont have a horse in the race. the rankings  ya posted is what all is taken into account pure  Dogfighting,  or  best overall in  most aspects?
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 03:26:42 PM »
The P-47M has a MONSTER WEP, that is for certain. I was looking at that last night. I rarely fly the 47 but was getting tempted last night. Might be fun to fight it above 25k to see how well it goes. How mushy is the 47M at high alts, high speed and WEP aside? Do you spend most of the time with one notch of flaps?

Discuss!

Boo
The M isn't mushy at all imo. Just keep at fast, fly smooth. Manual trimming seems to help with this one. I rather save the wep and stay out of the flaps until i have to come over the top or reverse really quick.That's when it starts getting mushy.... 200 IAS or so, hopefully the bandit will be even slower. Just depends on how and what the other guy is flying.
But I always save enough alt to rebulid E. and dive away. The P47s got to have E. The -11 not so much, but the others yeah.

I'd rank them:
#1 N
#2 40 because of the ord it can carry
#3 M
#4 11
#5 25

The only thing IMO that keeps the M model out of #1 is lack or ord.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:33:14 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 03:53:50 PM »
The M isn't mushy at all imo. Just keep at fast, fly smooth. Manual trimming seems to help with this one. I rather save the wep and stay out of the flaps until i have to come over the top or reverse really quick.That's when it starts getting mushy.... 200 IAS or so, hopefully the bandit will be even slower. Just depends on how and what the other guy is flying.
But I always save enough alt to rebulid E. and dive away. The P47s got to have E. The -11 not so much, but the others yeah.

I'd rank them:
#1 N
#2 40 because of the ord it can carry
#3 M
#4 11
#5 25

The only thing IMO that keeps the M model out of #1 is lack or ord.

I will agree the N is on top but only for those who can really get out of the N all she is capable of, the average guy doesn't have a clue!

The more I mess with them the more I realize just how different each is from the other, but that is cause I see the smallest of differences these days!

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »
I stick to the D-25.  Better speed over the D-11 and accerate better over the D-40. 

I will agree the N is on top but only for those who can really get out of the N all she is capable of, the average guy doesn't have a clue!

The more I mess with them the more I realize just how different each is from the other, but that is cause I see the smallest of differences these days!

JUGgler

I have chased down "N" in the D-25 and take them out. Some people just do not fly them right. "M" is one Jug that I just cannot match. To powerful against the D-25.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2011, 01:42:59 AM »
The N can do anything the M can. Same engine, just a little more dry weight. Top speeds are only a few mph off from each other.

Chalk that up to blatant mis-use in the MAs if you can't catch the M but regularly catch the N. Pilot error.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2011, 02:29:38 AM »

JUGgler

I think that's the key with any of them.  Most folks don't know how to use them.  The guys that do, and JUG you were/are one of them, do things with them that the average cartoon driver can't.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2011, 03:04:04 AM »
I stick to the D-25.  Better speed over the D-11 and accerate better over the D-40.  

I have chased down "N" in the D-25 and take them out. Some people just do not fly them right. "M" is one Jug that I just cannot match. To powerful against the D-25.

The D-25 cannot out accelerate the D-40 if the pilot knows what he's doing.  Its the same airframe with a more powerful engine in the D-40.  If you've chased down an N in the D-25, then the N pilot was either out of WEP, or not paying attention, as it possesses a whopping 600 more HP on WEP than the D-25, while only weighing in a bit heavier (relatively speaking).  

Personally, I'd rank them, in order of performance:  P-47M, P-47N, P-47D40, P-47D25, P-47D11 and in that order of air-to-air combat ability as well.  The D11 accelerates like a true pig.  People perceive an instantaneous turn advantage in the D11 because overall, it usually weighs in much less that the later models.  Before the M came out, I believe the N was the best air-to-air Jug platform, just because most MA fights usually evolve into 1v1 low-speed turn fights where the high power of the N makes it perform best.  Especially once it gets light, as the wingloading on the N (more wing area than the D models) starts approaching fully loaded Spitfire numbers (say at 1/4 tank of fuel and half ammo or less).  If you can stay in the fight with 800 rounds total and an 1/8th of a tank of fuel, the N can get pretty sprightly.  Now that the M is available, it is the air-to-air king of the Jugs, and handily so.  The weight of a D model with the power of an N model--that's the best of both worlds.  Its still a big, heavy aircraft, which is why it doesn't carry a perk--that, and the fights in-game typically don't occur at 28,000 feet like they did over Europe.  If the game constantly put you into combat at those altitudes, the Jug-M would be a perk plane because it would be one of the best performers in the game, behind the Me-262, Me-163, and arguably tied or better than the Ta-152 (and perhaps the Spit 14).

As for high-altitude combat, the ability of the Jug series to make basically sea level power at 30,000 feet is what makes it so deadly.  Thank the designers for that turbo system instead of a supercharger--a indicator of its design use being as an interceptor rather than a pursuit fighter.  But, fighting at that altitude requires a completely different skill set than most AH2 pilots possess from in-game experience, as you must be more patient, more methodical, and keep speed on the plane at the detriment of maneuvering.  The energy equations at those altitudes are completely different than they are at typical AH altitudes, and will humble you quickly if you don't adjust your flying technique.

I mark the whole series except for the N and M as some of the most difficult aircraft to master in-game, which is why Bluekitty, Yucca, and some of those folks were so impressive to watch in the D models...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 03:05:44 AM by Stoney »
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech