Author Topic: Mini-joystick  (Read 1401 times)

Offline TWC_Jaxx

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
Mini-joystick
« on: December 09, 2011, 03:43:46 PM »
I'm traveling for work a lot these days and trying to get my "mobile" rig set up to fly from the hotel room (yes my life is boring).  Does anyone know of a decent mini-joystick out there that would be good for shoving in a small suitcase?  My throttle can fit okay, but the CH joystick takes up too much room to pack for each trip... and pedals... forget it..   :confused:

Thanks!
Jaxx
TWC_Jaxx
Training Officer
The Wrecking Crew- www.twcclan.com

Never leave your wingman... trust in him always.... never die alone.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Mini-joystick
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 03:58:38 PM »
The Thrustmaster Warthog detaches from it's base.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
The Saitek Cyborg can have its stick removed from the base, I've no experience with that stick so I don't know if it's a good purchase or not.

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is very slim and I know of several people who use it, I have one as well and it's pretty good. It's much stiffer than most other sticks though, probably more than a CH, I've never used a CH though.

My personal choice before I moved onto the X52 Pro was the Thrustmaster T-Flight (not the HOTAS). I liked it a lot and used it for a long time, an excellent stick imo, especially for being in the $30 range. It's a bit bulkier than the Logitech, but the knob on the bottom allows you to adjust the stiffness and the form is very ergonomic.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
I did that deal for 6 years...killed a joy stick every 4 months, like clockwork
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 06:29:12 PM »
I was on the road for a couple years and this is the stick I used.

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Aviator-Throttle-Joystick-PS33/dp/B000I62PEK

Worked well, has throttle and a decent number of buttons and is a twisty stick.

Offline sizzle22

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »
I'm gonna agree with the fugitive.... AV8R was my first stick and for the money very good, now as far as traveling with it I have no input.  :D

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 09:32:39 AM »
The Saitek Cyborg can have its stick removed from the base, I've no experience with that stick so I don't know if it's a good purchase or not.

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is very slim and I know of several people who use it, I have one as well and it's pretty good. It's much stiffer than most other sticks though, probably more than a CH, I've never used a CH though.

My personal choice before I moved onto the X52 Pro was the Thrustmaster T-Flight (not the HOTAS). I liked it a lot and used it for a long time, an excellent stick imo, especially for being in the $30 range. It's a bit bulkier than the Logitech, but the knob on the bottom allows you to adjust the stiffness and the form is very ergonomic.
cyborg is a really nice stick, i love it only problem being that every 5 months you need a new one becuase it starts twicthing to much to even get off the ground, let alone trying to use auto pilot. i like the logitec 3d pro good stick last a long time and feels nice, only mine broke when our new puppy chewed the cord. right now im useing a m510 wireless simi gaming mouse. very good feel works wounders in aces high. so for traveling i say get a gaming mouse. im saving up for a CH stick peddels and throttle, luckly my freind gave me the peddels to his old stick. so like i said if you can fly with a mouse its best for traveling.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 08:08:31 AM »
This might sound dumb but why not get a bigger suitcase?

Offline TWC_Jaxx

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »
Hahahah.. very good question, Perv... answer is that I dont like to check my bag, so I'm restricted to size.  Saves me a ton of time at both ends and my trips are typically only 1 or 2 nights.

I definitely considered the Warthog with the removalble stick and wow factor.  Problem is no twisty rudder.  The Saitek sounds like a pretty good option.. I'm gonna try flying mouse with CH throttle first, though...

Thanks for all the feedback!!
TWC_Jaxx
Training Officer
The Wrecking Crew- www.twcclan.com

Never leave your wingman... trust in him always.... never die alone.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 09:43:21 AM »
Hahahah.. very good question, Perv... answer is that I dont like to check my bag, so I'm restricted to size.  Saves me a ton of time at both ends and my trips are typically only 1 or 2 nights.

I definitely considered the Warthog with the removalble stick and wow factor.  Problem is no twisty rudder.  The Saitek sounds like a pretty good option.. I'm gonna try flying mouse with CH throttle first, though...

Thanks for all the feedback!!

Ya I was going to say "You don't fly much do you Perv!"  :D

Jaxx, $30 for an Aviator ....even if you don't like it and throw it away, is better than flying with a mouse. I have all CH stuff but switching to the Aviator while on the road wasn't bad. Switching to a mouse is going to be horrible and take all the fun out of the game.

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 06:22:40 PM »
I just read the amazon reviews, 5 of 10 people say half the buttons dont work on PC and the dual throttle is fake!    Is this true??? I was justy about to get one from Fry's
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 07:53:47 PM »
everything worked on mine. Maybe the xbox generation doesn't know how to set-up a joystick in a game?

Offline prono

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »
How about a gamepad with gyroscope-like support. My friend uses something like this in his PS3 as driving wheel. You can setup gyro as X-Y axis + two analogue mini joysticks for rudder-zoom and view + 10 programmable buttons.
Better yet leave mini joysticks for flying and use gyro sensors for looking around  :x
I always wanted to try it in AH  :joystick:

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »
I once thought about buying and old, unwanted and therefore cheap 4 channel transmitter off eBay, adding a hat switch and buttons for trigger and flaps etc. on the back, removing the circuit board and replacing it with a Leo Bodnar 12-bit controller. You'd have good precision, plenty of buttons and analogue controls & the whole thing would be small and suitcase friendly. Some of the nicer transmitters even have removable sticks for easy packing  :banana:

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
I traveled with an X-52 for years in Iraq, it fit in my bugout bag with plenty of room for 2 pair of levi's, 3 undershirts, and 2 over-shirts, along with all my other overnight crap.  Put your throttle in right side up, wrap your socks around the throttle, then put your wrap your, clean underwear around your JS and put in upside down over your throttle, put a pair of levi's in to pad in-between your joystick pack and your laptop.  Socks can be added into the voids, and then pack as normal.  This setup is great it gives you enough padding that if you do get caught off guard and you vehicle does get flipped by a VBIED it will protect your joystick and your computer.  One must have his priorities.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.