Author Topic: Storch Smoke grenades  (Read 1788 times)

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Storch Smoke grenades
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 08:16:17 PM »
^

Sounds good.

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 08:18:16 PM »
"Graduate in 6 months!!!! Fly Storches, then switch to B-29s!!!

Yes folks, hop into the cockpit of that tiny little butterfly of a spotter airplane with a SINGLE machine-gun for rear defense, then make your way to the 4-engined atomic bomber, complete with 12 machine guns and a 20mm cannon for all-round defense!!!

:rofl

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »
What would the perks be for? A perked scout that really doesn't need a perk-price?

Why would you think it would be perked??

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 02:30:34 PM »
http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt07/smoke-bomb.html

That is the only bit of info I can find on German smoke bombs used in WWII by the Luftwaffe.  If that is true, there is no way that the Storch will be able to carry 25 of them since they weight 110 lbs each.  However, "it is reported to produce large quantities of greenish-black smoke for about 20 minutes", so not many will be needed to provide a decent smoke screen.   Besides, there were only 3 mounts for them.    :)

We'll see though, HTC may have pulled a wabbit out of a hat and found some far out in left field reference that shows the Storch utilizing the passenger/spotter tossing smoke grenades out the window.   :D
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 03:05:20 PM »
http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt07/smoke-bomb.html

That is the only bit of info I can find on German smoke bombs used in WWII by the Luftwaffe.  If that is true, there is no way that the Storch will be able to carry 25 of them since they weight 110 lbs each.  However, "it is reported to produce large quantities of greenish-black smoke for about 20 minutes", so not many will be needed to provide a decent smoke screen.   Besides, there were only 3 mounts for them.    :)

We'll see though, HTC may have pulled a wabbit out of a hat and found some far out in left field reference that shows the Storch utilizing the passenger/spotter tossing smoke grenades out the window.   :D

Well they may have just decided 25 was a good number for it to actually be effective as well. Either way I wont complain Im just excited to see her.  :x

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »
Well they may have just decided 25 was a good number for it to actually be effective as well. Either way I wont complain Im just excited to see her.  :x

Perhaps.  At this point I'm willing to bet a good bottle of beer that HTC is not going to put 25 smoke bombs on the Storch.   :D 

I too am looking forward to the new dimension for AH.  Having a rather harmless aircraft being a pain in the arse is going to be fun.  :aok  I'm hoping there is a way that HTC will code things so that there is no score or kill award for shooting down the Storch.   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 09:58:29 AM »
Again, for the people that apparently can not read.

If you look at the screenshots posted...

you will notice the ammo counter clearly displaying 25/smoke :aok

That's gotta be some type of clue don't you think?

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 10:27:02 AM »
Again, for the people that apparently can not read.

If you look at the screenshots posted...

you will notice the ammo counter clearly displaying 25/smoke :aok

That's gotta be some type of clue don't you think?

Clearly some people cant read that those are only screen shots and that the final model may change.   :aok

I'm willing to bet that it isn't going to have 25 smoke bombs, certainly not 25 of the 50kg smoke bombs that are shown in the links provided (stats and photos).  If the Storch does get 25 rounds of smoke it is going to be something a lot smaller and something probably devised by HTC, and how often do we see HTC using some random stat they made up?  Not often.  The biggest example of that is the 10 troops, 1 field supply box, and 10 gv supply boxes are all the same weight in the C47.  The "25" counter is for testing purposes.  I've got a bottle of good beer saying that it isnt going to be 25 of the 50kg smoke bombs.   ;)   

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 01:29:15 PM »
It will probably have 25 smoke bombs, but they will not last 20 minutes each.

And any amount of smoke probably will be limited by each sector, thus to avoid the rapid fps loss by some players/squads who will mass drop smoke bombs,much like the 30+ c-47 para trooper raids that can happen.

~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Raptor05121

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 01:53:52 PM »
I'm betting final count will be either 10-15
InGame: xRaptorx of the ***Alchemists***

Quote from: dirtdart
To suggest things that do not meet this basic criteria is equal to masturbation.  It may feel good to you, will not produce any tangible results, and you may be embarrassed if you get caught. 

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 03:44:52 PM »
I'm betting final count will be either 10-15

:huh

Look at the previous posts or perhaps the screenshots :bhead

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 03:49:29 PM »
What I envision is a classic set up for 5-10k buffs. A Storch goes in, uses smoke to create a visible bomb path for the buffs. Put two smokes on the start point, three smokes on the exit and the buffs know how to line up and when to drop. I think carpet bombing the bad guys just got more effective. In short order GVs are going to get treated similar to German tanks at the hands of Operation Cobra during June of 1944. Helped break out of the hedgrow country by massive carpet bombing.

This might change the game and get more people out of GVs and into birds. Maybe...

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »
How were they dropped? from the plane itself or dropped by hand?

Clue maybe?

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »
I would use this example as to how this will be useful:

I'm flying an Il2, but with reduced GV icons it will be more difficult to see where a GV is to set up an attack.

My friendly Storch pilot flys by, pops a smoke grenade near the enemy GV so I have a point of reference to where the enemy is.

I actually believe this plane will be used alot, we already use fighters to mark the enemy with mg fire, smoke since it lingers, will make it much easier to see since I wouldnt have to be staring at the marking plane the moment it fires.

I wonder how visible it would be from a ground level though :/

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 08:12:03 PM »
Why would you think it would be perked??

You misunderstand. I was questioning why we should have a seperate category for the scout aircraft, when splitting them off from the bombers and making it a new aircraft class would serve no purpose aside from giving people another score category to pork, and a bunch of useless perks.

I can't think of a scout aircraft that would need a perk price attached to it (even the Fw 189, since it would lack the Storch's very low wing-loading and associated benefits, you would just be exchanging preformance and capabilities in one area for boost in speed, which leave it still pretty damn slow) so the perks would be completly useless.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:13:44 PM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"