Author Topic: Night...  (Read 1968 times)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Night...
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »
I will create a custom nighttime arena on 12/15 (Thursday) from 19:30~22:00 Central Time. We can fly and GV all you want with anything in the inventory for free.  I'll be using my small 64-mile terrain "Canyon", which is built for small two-sided battles.  While I'm in there, I'll be on vox 250 so anyone can tune in to talk. We can also talk about and play with settings if anyone is interested.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2011, 04:15:27 PM »
HTC is not going to put lights on aircraft that did not have them. Most WWII aircraft did not have lights. I have also yet to see a WWII with headlights.

All planes in AH have interior lights that would turn on when night came around.  You were actually able to spot other planes in the sky near you by the glow of their internal cockpit lights.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2011, 04:21:09 PM »
Also, daylight fighters didn't fight at night in WWII, there is no realism reasin to this.

Yes they did.

ack-ack

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2011, 04:45:36 PM »
Then it's not realistic and therefore pointless.

It is for a full harvest moon.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2011, 06:07:46 PM »
All planes in AH have interior lights that would turn on when night came around.  You were actually able to spot other planes in the sky near you by the glow of their internal cockpit lights.

ack-ack

The glow came from the combat-trim light, if that would be turned off the cockpit would become dark.

He was asking for the external lights.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2011, 07:09:28 PM »
The glow came from the combat-trim light, if that would be turned off the cockpit would become dark.

He was asking for the external lights.

Lights came from the illuminated cockpit dials, not the little green light showing combat trim was enabled.

ack-ack

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »
Lights came from the illuminated cockpit dials, not the little green light showing combat trim was enabled.

ack-ack

I guess I forgot.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2011, 10:25:11 PM »
HTC is not going to put lights on aircraft that did not have them. Most WWII aircraft did not have lights. I have also yet to see a WWII with headlights.

Huh?  You need to look a bit closer the next time your next to a WWII aircraft.  I haven't been around one that didn't have nav lights and landing lights.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Huh?  You need to look a bit closer the next time your next to a WWII aircraft.  I haven't been around one that didn't have nav lights and landing lights.

From the top of my head: Spitfire.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2011, 10:36:38 PM »
I just thought about this and I can't think of a single WWII aircraft that has external lights. Night fighters and post WWII mods don't count.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2011, 12:35:56 AM »
I just thought about this and I can't think of a single WWII aircraft that has external lights. Night fighters and post WWII mods don't count.

Wow.  Check photos of the P51B, B-17 and B-25...all have landing light in leading edge of wing.  51D has landing lights in the gear wells.  That's just 4 off the top of my head.

Landing light on 51B, left wing leading edge:

51B 3-view showing nav lights.  Wingtip lights mounted both upper and lower surfaces.  Tail lower part of rudder:

Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline 1sum41

• Silver Member
      • devil dog squadron
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2011, 12:46:34 AM »
From the top of my head: Spitfire.
I see NAV lights on the wing tips.
 :salute

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2011, 02:00:11 AM »
Wow, your right.

Interesting.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2011, 05:04:18 AM »
Wow, your right.

Interesting.

and you seem to have been wrong across a number of topics of late....might leave that sorta thing to google or the folks who know something about it. :neener:
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
While it wasn't 99%, it was over 50% that would log off when night came around.

ack-ack

Exactly! If you were around when they did this you'd remember there were multiple arenas too. Once night started to fall in one of them so did the attendance in it. Bottom line is it sucked for the 99% of the people that were there at the time and that's why it's not here now. Say what you want--but that's a fact, jack. It_ sucked_. Some--I'd say a very few--might remember it differently, but I'd also say those few prolly sucked in daylight and that's prolly why they liked the "darkness" so much. LIke the dark? Set up a custom arena and have at it with your 4 buddies.

In short,  -1,000,000

Please stop.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group