Author Topic: Collision Model  (Read 22828 times)

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Re: Collision Model
« Reply #165 on: December 27, 2011, 09:03:11 PM »
And a side note, do you realize how many pet dogs and cats would be getting kicked in the ribs if players were losing wings to collisions they never even saw?  For that reason alone, it shall never be that way because I am an animal lover.

What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business  :D  At least I hope it's not out in public!  :rofl
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #166 on: December 27, 2011, 09:25:01 PM »
From that response, it sounds like you still do not get it.

If you avoid intersecting with another object (i.e. collision), you never take damage.  If you do not avoid intersecting with another object (i.e. collision), you take damage.  It is up to you to avoid intersecting with other objects around you..  Sometimes you cannot do it, but if you do, your plane will never take damage.

hellloooooo skuzzzy :O.... if you have read what i actually meant to say you would not have said that... the point i was making was not abt the collision model on AH anymore... to me thats a done deal as there's nothing you and i or anyone can do sitting miles away from each other according to you...i was just wondering abt the world of planes collision models... would they have the same problems as us or would they have found another way...to know another product is to know your own faults and strengths in your own product?

p.s/ why do we even have a collision model in the first place? why can't it be turned off
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:35:19 PM by des506 »
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #167 on: December 27, 2011, 09:50:43 PM »
p.s/ why do we even have a collision model in the first place? why can't it be turned off
Only skilless noobs and no talent gamers want this. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #168 on: December 27, 2011, 11:17:22 PM »
hellloooooo skuzzzy :O.... if you have read what i actually meant to say you would not have said that... the point i was making was not abt the collision model on AH anymore... to me thats a done deal as there's nothing you and i or anyone can do sitting miles away from each other according to you...i was just wondering abt the world of planes collision models... would they have the same problems as us or would they have found another way...to know another product is to know your own faults and strengths in your own product?

people would get even more idiotic if they knew they could fly right thru enemy plane guns blazing.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #169 on: December 27, 2011, 11:19:14 PM »
Only skilless noobs and no talent gamers want this. 

yea i'm sure you're very talented..i was just asking.. its a valid point i believe... maybe you could point out why turning it off will deem it skill -less?
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #170 on: December 27, 2011, 11:22:40 PM »

people would get even more idiotic if they knew they could fly right thru enemy plane guns blazing.

well it will boil down to the distance between players again wouldn't it? could it be setup in the sense, the minute you meet each other guns wouldn't work? i mean... the distance between players would be the problem here again as some might see you earlier than the other...thats 1 way i think... any other ways that you might think wouldn't work?
DES 354th FG
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2011, 11:25:22 PM »
     What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business  :D  At least I hope it's not out in public!  :rofl

he has no qualms about spanking his monkey in public...   :noid :bolt:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 27, 2011, 11:30:41 PM »
yea i'm sure you're very talented..i was just asking.. its a valid point i believe... maybe you could point out why turning it off will deem it skill -less?

No collisions = totally unrealistic combat maneuvering - Planes can fly guns blazing through each other. No reason at all to evade. Just think off the attacks on the bombers - no need to set up an attack or to break off. Just fly through them while holding down the trigger.^

That would indeed be a huge, and very sucking change and death to any kind of ACM in the MA.

"Both die" as well as "no one dies" do both have much more severe drawbacks than what we have now. The current collision model is simply the best working one given all realities of both gameplay as well as technology.  Almost every time some has asked for a change in the past, he had not understood one or both of them.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:38:06 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #173 on: December 27, 2011, 11:51:36 PM »

Same reason we have Radar and Dar Bar's, same reason your mission went above the "radar height" and was intercepted. Lets not answer how that ended, we have collisions for a reason, it promotes a thing called ACM, not everyone flies straight at a plane gun blazing.

We have collisions "turned off" that is with friendlies, and I agree with it. Same with friendly fire, it only hurts "YOUR" aircraft, not his.

This is a video game, you might of tried to avoid the collision and gotten the worse of it, so you died - up another plane its a cartoon life after all.
I've shot my self down in Snapshots and FSO's via friendly fire, I've had people on the runway shoot down an entire flight of planes, accidental? probably!.

Leave collisions alone, its only going to get better/worse for 1 person and the whining will only continue.
JG 52

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #174 on: December 28, 2011, 12:36:52 AM »
 :noid :noid :noid :rofl :rofl :rofl
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #175 on: December 28, 2011, 06:11:19 AM »
When a light fighter can collide with a tank while strafing it and fly off undamaged, the modeling needs addressing.

He flew away because he did not intersect/collide with anything.

Consider this addressed. :)

I do not know anything about any other games.  It is irrelevant as everyone is impacted by physics in the same manner.  If a game uses a server driven model then the issue may not be as exacerbated as it is when using a client driven model.  Both models have pluses and minuses.

As you slow objects down, the separation issue becomes less of a factor.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:19:53 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #176 on: December 28, 2011, 07:07:05 AM »
well it will boil down to the distance between players again wouldn't it? could it be setup in the sense, the minute you meet each other guns wouldn't work? i mean... the distance between players would be the problem here again as some might see you earlier than the other...thats 1 way i think... any other ways that you might think wouldn't work?
Even though I am convinced you are trolling, I can't stop my self from providing a response.

"could it be setup in the sense, the minute you meet each other guns wouldn't work"  The whole point is when you don't have to maneuver to avoid a crash, guns working or not, you can come in guns blazing and pass right though and leave with no fear of damage. You want to turn this into Xbox or something?

I am done with this thread, and have added a name to my permasquelch macro...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #177 on: December 28, 2011, 07:21:37 AM »
No collisions = totally unrealistic combat maneuvering - Planes can fly guns blazing through each other. No reason at all to evade. Just think off the attacks on the bombers - no need to set up an attack or to break off. Just fly through them while holding down the trigger.^

That would indeed be a huge, and very sucking change and death to any kind of ACM in the MA.

if no collision = totally unrealistic, then what abt colliding with someone and you get it but not the other person? isn't that unrealistic too just cos 1 sees it and 1 doesn't?
realism should come to a certain extend to BOTH parties instead of boiling it down to what 1 can see what the other doesn't. ever thought for a moment what if some actually knew you lagged from the distance, and all he did was aim for you constantly and the last min pull up, you will go down constantly.. if you say thats the end of acm, what abt the guns on the buffs? you say it like you dun need to have any skills in acm to shoot down a b17 with guns firing...  

i am not saying that my way is the right or correct way or i solely believe in my methods, i am just trying to discuss it with you guys and think of a better way for everyone... did everyone agree on the gv systems when it first came? i believe the majority whined! but look at it now... all i'm saying or asking is the question... WHY NOT..
DES 354th FG
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #178 on: December 28, 2011, 07:26:01 AM »
Even though I am convinced you are trolling, I can't stop my self from providing a response.

"could it be setup in the sense, the minute you meet each other guns wouldn't work"  The whole point is when you don't have to maneuver to avoid a crash, guns working or not, you can come in guns blazing and pass right though and leave with no fear of damage. You want to turn this into Xbox or something?

I am done with this thread, and have added a name to my permasquelch macro...

wow.. you're finally done with this thread... good..  :rock
your squelching hurts me so... :cry
DES 354th FG
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 28, 2011, 07:40:37 AM »
if no collision = totally unrealistic, then what abt colliding with someone and you get it but not the other person? isn't that unrealistic too just cos 1 sees it and 1 doesn't?

you are still mixing things up.

The fact that one has a collision on his screen and the other has not is caused by the very nature of internet. It doesn't matter if we call this "realistic" or not, it is what it is and cannot be changed.

The collision model in AH however, has been designed to implement a solution that works on this 'unrealistic' premise and get the most realistic results out of it. And "what you see is what you get" is the most realistic method in terms of gameplay results.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman