Author Topic: Collision Model  (Read 22808 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Collision Model
« Reply #270 on: January 03, 2012, 12:09:13 PM »
The amount of mental thickness displayed in this thread is epic.

It's very simple ...

If the 3D area of the plane/vehicle that YOU are in control of, on YOUR computer, DOES intersect with the 3d area of another "collideable" object ... YOU HAVE COLLIDED.

If the 3D area of the plane/vehicle that YOU are in control of, on YOUR computer, DOES NOT intersect with the 3d area of another "collideable" object ... YOU HAVE NOT COLLIDED.

All the people who have posted that if 1 plane see a collision, then both planes must go down ... they would be the first people back here to piss and moan that they were nowhere near another plane and then next thing they know, they are in the tower.

I would like to see HT introduce an array that would hold all the game ids for those that want the 1 person collides, both planes die.

Then when the code checks to see if there is no collision on their front end, but a collision is detected on the other front end and their gameid equals a gameid stored in the array .... BOOM ... to the tower with them.

I think this would be a simple change and would allow them to have what they think they want and leave the current logic alone for the rest of us sane people.

To get your gameid out the the array, you would have to post an apology on the BBS and plead on your virtual knees to get your gameid out of the array.

After 17 years I have finally heard of a new collision idea that I like.  :D

HiTech

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #271 on: January 03, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #272 on: January 03, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »
Can we get an array for the people that want it off?  :lol  

The problem with the collisions is not the how they work in theory.  It is how they work in practice.  In theory, if you don't see a collision you don't collide, you avoid the other guy and everyone is happy.  In practice there are warps, mini warps, stutters, low FPS etc.  Some caused by you, some caused by the other guy, some caused by the inet.  Some are random, some happen when you fire your guns, some when buffs fire, engine smoke, who knows.  Sometimes it is totally random.  So, even though in theory it is very simple (u dont see it, u don;t collide), in practice it is a little bit different and you do not have the control people think they have over them.  Throw in the funny damage you get (missing tail wheel and PW for example) and you can see why people complain.  

Now, last I checked, the fact that you could collide has not stopped any of the HOers from flying into me.  It also, has not stopped any of the dog fighters from getting too close in a fight and colliding.  Nor did I notice less cherry picking because someone was worried about colliding.  So, what is the point of having them on then?  The only use I see is to protect buffs (and that is its own argument thread right there lol).  Other than that - in practice - they serve as another way to stop a fight.

In theory though, yes, great idea to have them on.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #273 on: January 03, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »
Now, last I checked, the fact that you could collide has not stopped any of the HOers from flying into me.  

So your saying you never try to avoid a collision?

HiTech

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »
So your saying you never try to avoid a collision?

HiTech

lol, of coarse I do.  So if we assume that I have any kind of control over my airplane, I should be avoiding them easily right?  Therefore, we can conclude that when I do collide it is mainly due to the following (since I always do my best to avoid them).

1) I made a mistake and collided.
2) I have no idea what happened because even though my FE did see a collision, I either never saw the guy that crossed my path, he warped into me, I was involved in a fight with multiple cons, I had no speed to avoid, etc.  I had no control of the situation.

So now the question is, how much control do I have over my plane?  I know the fun club will say 0 but seriously (and ask people that have fought me), I do everything I can not to be in a collision situation out of respect of the other guys time.  You can pick and choose what percentage of the collisions are my fault to fit what ever conclusions you want to reach.  But I know me, and I have been playing long enough to understand what is happening.  So, 20% my fault 80% never saw it coming or was unable to do anything about it.

Also keep in mind the playing stile of the people explaining how collisions work.  Most of them I have never found in a fight so their reality may be what they are explaining.

But hey, I can start responding like you also.  Are you saying that collisions are always avoidable?

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #275 on: January 03, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »
Dedalos you probably don't attempt to avoid a collision until it is too late, which is why you feel you don't have control in a lot of situations.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #276 on: January 03, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »
Dedalos you probably don't attempt to avoid a collision until it is too late, which is why you feel you don't have control in a lot of situations.

So, this is what you get out of me saying that I did not see the bad guy, warped into me, was too slow to do anything about it etc?  :lol  You are still treating this as if I think it is a bug or I don;t understand how collisions work.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #277 on: January 03, 2012, 04:20:25 PM »
So, this is what you get out of me saying that I did not see the bad guy, warped into me, was too slow to do anything about it etc?  :lol  You are still treating this as if I think it is a bug or I don;t understand how collisions work.

The only guys that warp into you in this game are joeblack and greens.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 03, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »
When you really see other planes warp into your plane all the time.... it's you ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #279 on: January 03, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »
The only guys that warp into you in this game are joeblack and greens.

:lol

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #280 on: January 03, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »
When you really see other planes warp into your plane all the time.... it's you ;)

I agree, but what does that statement have to do with what I wrote?  Remember if some A = B and some B = C, it does not mean that all A = C  ;)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #281 on: January 03, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »

But hey, I can start responding like you also (he's talking to HiTech).  Are you saying that collisions are always avoidable? (an example of Muzik's point in a prior thread and dedalos is not on the list that Muzik requested of me)

Dedalos has a new nickname...

"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #282 on: January 03, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #283 on: January 05, 2012, 04:26:25 PM »
After 17 years I have finally heard of a new collision idea that I like.  :D

HiTech

Do it !!! ...  :pray ... it would take what ? ... 15 minutes to coad while sipping coffee casually ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #284 on: January 05, 2012, 04:31:54 PM »
Do it !!! ...  :pray ... it would take what ? ... 15 minutes to coad while sipping coffee casually ?

Probably not a good business move to show some of his customers how "silly" they are being.  (Silly is a BBS-friendly descriptor)