Author Topic: surround sounds  (Read 2935 times)

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
surround sounds
« on: December 29, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »
any of you sound people able to make true 5.1 surround sound sound pack? like with the p39 the sound would come from the rear speackers (p39 rear engined plane)or a p51 the exsaust pipe sounds are from the sides and the starter and some motor sounds coem from the center channel? or somthing like that or dose the game only play 2 channel audio?
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: surround sounds
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 04:40:42 AM »
It wont work well with AH. I believe even stereo sounds are a mistake.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:05:17 AM »
The game assigns sound locations.  You wouldn't want a stereo sound for the engines in a Mossie as the game is going to assign the sound to the location of the #1 and #2 engines already.  Stereo would just double up the sounds as you hear both engines from both sides.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 10:12:46 AM »
I believe even stereo sounds are a mistake.

me too, although we seem to be the only ones ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »
The game already does 3D sound positioning.  For that to work, the sounds must be single channel.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
yay that makes 3 of us! :D

presumably any stereo sounds are converted for directsound to mono, are they mixed into mono or just stripped of one of the channels? either way its unecessary processing. how about downsampling - is there a max bit/resolution for DX to process? (I'm just trying to get a handle on specs for soundpacks.)

like with the p39 the sound would come from the rear speackers (p39 rear engined plane)or a p51 the exsaust pipe sounds are from the sides and the starter and some motor sounds coem from the center channel? or somthing like that or dose the game only play 2 channel audio?

I'm actually going to +1 this, although your plane's guns and cannons appear to be properly located in 3D, the engine sounds are located at the pilot (whether 1, 2 or 4 engines.) jump in an A20 and start the engines individually - you cant tell by listening which engine is running.

edit: btw I'd only want to have your own plane's engines properly located in 3D, not much benefit in having it for other aircraft. plus the processing could be a big hit too when you run across 20 sets of buffs (thats 240 engines to locate :uhoh)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:55:34 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline PAKFRONT

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »
The game already does 3D sound positioning.  For that to work, the sounds must be single channel.
Exactly the info I was looking for.. So a 5.1 set up won't work well? I have had problems with this before..
I am shopping for a new headset right now.. Fitting out my equipment before come to the online arenas..
Any suggestions before I drop a C note on headphones that don't work in AH  :furious
Youtube game channel, Megaflammenpost
Password of the day = DEMARKATION!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 12:24:38 PM »
If you are referring to the physical speaker arrangement, the game sounds will come out of the correct location, as long as Windows knows the speaker layout.

If you are referring to Dolby (or another other 3D encoding scheme), the game does not use it.  The game produces actual 3D sounds.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 01:44:41 PM »
I have been using a 5.1 setup for years. I prefer headphones which work perfectly with the way AH does 3D sounds. I experimented with sounds and I tried producing stereo and 5.1 surround sounds but mono was the only type that worked with 3D positioning of vehicles while stereo in some instances created performance issues. Checking into the way DirectSound works I discovered that (as of 2002 at least) the expected game input was 22kHz and 8 or 16 bit (never could nail down if the bit-depth was important).

And here are a few recordings I made in testing this (with my own custom copyrighted B-17 sound):

Mono:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BUM_MFkrnQ

Stereo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpYgbqbxpAg

Surround:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iihnKTp6Rw
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:22:50 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline PAKFRONT

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 04:13:55 PM »
Thanks Skuzzy and Chalenge
I expect things to be pretty straightforward, but with computers, sometimes they are not!
I'm using an ASUS stand alone soundcard that came with its motherboard, it has the normal 6 analog mini plugs.. Been using my Regular Stereo Music Phones, plugged into the center channel, sounds great.. But need a new set with Mic.. Just getting a little input that pertains directly to THIS game, before I throw money away for nothing.. Knowledgable replies are much appreciated!

Would like the full 3d effect, so this is my primary selection.. Has good reviews..
Turtle Beach Z6A
Youtube game channel, Megaflammenpost
Password of the day = DEMARKATION!

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:45:49 PM by Skuzzy »
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 04:31:11 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:45:57 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 04:34:48 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:46:06 PM by Skuzzy »
TBs Sounds 

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 04:46:48 PM »
Do I need to boot you two from the board again?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 04:48:29 PM »
Do I need to boot you two from the board again?

Nope but the bold copyright was a direct attack im out of this
TBs Sounds