Author Topic: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN  (Read 15967 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN
« Reply #255 on: January 06, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »
On par with making flight models that are as accurate as possible and actually listening to their customers from time to time  :D

It's a recipe that fits my tastes right down to the boots.  For me it's the right mix of realistic feeling flight over eye candy and too much 'gaminess' without getting bogged down in too much detail like engine management or taking half an hour to start the plane.

Most of the arguments on the boards stem from people whose tastes lean to one side or the other of where the game is currently at.  I may not agree with everything HTC does, but I have to give them credit for having a plan, sticking to it, but being willing to listen to ideas if they mesh with what they're doing.

I have trouble thinking of any other game company that does that, but I haven't been a forum monkey on too many games either.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #256 on: January 06, 2012, 10:28:26 AM »
On par with making flight models that are as accurate as possible and actually listening to their customers from time to time  :D

The Fighter Ace developers listened to their customers too, who wanted to go back to "the old days of AH1" in terms of fight dynamics and gameplay. The developers listened (I was there as it happened, the discussion was ingame) and made the fatal choice of abandoning real-physics and flight model simulation for the sake of playability and some sort of "fun" factor which, as it turned out to be, was imaginary. This completely ruined the game, I and many others left as the game became visually attractive but completely arcade style in gameplay. It was disgusting.

So it's not all about listening to customers and keeping them happy, because in the end that can potentially ruin the game. People in general tend to not really know what they want, or what is good for them.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #257 on: January 06, 2012, 10:36:37 AM »
You guys keep going in circle jerks as if doing one thing makes the other impossible.  There are always ways to improve game play whether through design or graphics. 

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #258 on: January 06, 2012, 01:36:38 PM »
Nonono! You cannot have BOTH good graphics AND accurate flight models... That's "Unpossible"  :rolleyes:
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #259 on: January 06, 2012, 01:38:10 PM »
mommy, what's a "circle jerk"?

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #260 on: January 06, 2012, 01:42:15 PM »
You guys keep going in circle jerks as if doing one thing makes the other impossible.  There are always ways to improve game play whether through design or graphics. 

Maybe, but I believe it was also a issue of percieved whining. Even from Skuzzy, as the point was made that the graphics do not make or even define the game. There is more to it than graphics, was the point argued by many.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #261 on: January 06, 2012, 01:52:57 PM »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #262 on: January 06, 2012, 02:09:17 PM »

Of course, but dealing with a world of limited resources, I will take a focus on gameplay over a focus on artwork any day.  Now if the artwork adds something to gameplay, that's wonderful.  I'm all for eye candy if it actually improves how the game is played, like say dust from moving vehicles as an example.  However, I really don't care if the game uses tessellation when they could be improving the DM or FM, or giving us more vehicles to use.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #263 on: January 06, 2012, 04:03:03 PM »
Hi,

I'm more about the fps friendly realistic flight model, than fancy state-of-art eye-candy stuff.
So, I think, the HTC has done a good work all in all during past years. It's all about the combat/'pissing somebody off somewhere' and nothing else.

Here is one example about the top notch eye-candy demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKyOM7rMN-k&hd=1

Plenty of excellent made shining stuff, but how about flight physics? Can you judge it from vid?

All shine stuff is not a gold... You see.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:06:19 PM by Ex-jazz »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #264 on: January 06, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
Hi,

I'm more about the fps friendly realistic flight model, than fancy state-of-art eye-candy stuff.
So, I think, the HTC has done a good work all in all during past years. It's all about the combat/'pissing somebody off somewhere' and nothing else.

Here is one example about the top notch eye-candy demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKyOM7rMN-k&hd=1

Plenty of excellent made shining stuff, but how about flight physics? Can you judge it from vid?

All shine stuff is not a gold... You see.

you made that with Blender?

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #265 on: January 06, 2012, 04:53:02 PM »
you made that with Blender?

Yes, it's all made with the Blender 3D a year ago. The video is recorded from build-in Blender Game Engine at run-time.

Not bad for the open / free source application suite, is in it?

All excellent visuals(3d model designs, textures, UV mapping & visual effects coding)  are made by the Lithuanian Blender Artists, Mr. MartinSH.

I made a simplified FDM-code with the python at time.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:54:55 PM by Ex-jazz »

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #266 on: January 06, 2012, 05:58:10 PM »
how long did it take you to make that?
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #267 on: January 06, 2012, 06:32:15 PM »
how long did it take you to make that?

Well...

For my kind of part time hobby python coder & BGE dev. the FDM creation took a 3.5 years and it's still is a arcada comparing to the AH.

For the Blender 3D professional/artists, like Mr. MartinSH, the visuals dev. took just a few months...

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #268 on: January 06, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »
Then you better stay away from anything Blizzard Entertainment publishes like Diablo III, StarCraft II and World of Warcraft since they use BitTorrent to distribute content and patches for their games.

dont even know what they are.  and I dont really want to know.  

somebody ask me to explain why.

1 do you know what it does to your connection?
2 I dont need bittorrent

semp
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 08:12:59 PM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #269 on: January 06, 2012, 11:36:51 PM »
The comment about stopping to smell the roses... Flying 300mph, with stuff whizzing by you... Or at 20k alt, dropping HE on the bad guys....

Wtf do you think the goon drivers do all day???