Author Topic: Douglas A-26 Invader  (Read 3433 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Douglas A-26 Invader
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »
40-50 perks.  Why bother adding anything non-revolutionary at that price. At 50 perks you equal the plane to the 163. Seems a bit high.  I don't see a plane that is slower than a mosquito and carrying a similar armament to an a20 being perked. 

And..... It is one sexy plane.

perks are all speculation.  it's up to hitech to decide this.  it could be zero perks or 1k dont matter, still it brings back some really good memories of aw.  I would just up one to furball with, i got more than enough perks to fly it every day for a couple of months.

it's not the plane itself but the memories of it.  none of the planes in ah fly like the ones in aw, everybody knows that, it dont matter.  this plane saw lots of action and was an important part in the eto.   should have been added years ago ahead of other planes that have been added but hardly used.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2012, 02:08:13 PM »
perks are all speculation.  it's up to hitech to decide this.  it could be zero perks or 1k dont matter, still it brings back some really good memories of aw.  I would just up one to furball with, i got more than enough perks to fly it every day for a couple of months.

it's not the plane itself but the memories of it.  none of the planes in ah fly like the ones in aw, everybody knows that, it dont matter.  this plane saw lots of action and was an important part in the eto.   should have been added years ago ahead of other planes that have been added but hardly used.

semp
Perks are not much of a speculation.  Years ago I was speaking with Pyro on the phone when the subject of perk bombers came up and he mentioned the A-26 as an example.  Granted that was years ago and it could end up being free, but at the time Pyro saw it as a future perk bomber.  This call was during the revamp of the Spitfire lineup when my curiosity about if the Mk VIII, which had not been shown in screenshots, would make it in got the better of me and I called HTC to try to find out.  The conversation strayed off of Spitfires obviously.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2012, 02:11:44 PM »
perks are all speculation.  it's up to hitech to decide this.  it could be zero perks or 1k dont matter, still it brings back some really good memories of aw.  I would just up one to furball with, i got more than enough perks to fly it every day for a couple of months.

it's not the plane itself but the memories of it.  none of the planes in ah fly like the ones in aw, everybody knows that, it dont matter.  this plane saw lots of action and was an important part in the eto.   should have been added years ago ahead of other planes that have been added but hardly used.
semp

I believe the Lethality Assessment of the plane determines the perk value, It has the speed, firepower and bomb load that would require being perked.
Anyone can speculate, I would believe it falls between 10-40 perks area, thus is one reason I think perked ordnance would be a good idea, glass nose option the plane isn't much of a serious threat, still you can add the 4x 50 gun pods under the wing however you degrade performance enough its not a perkable aircraft.

However, add 8x 50s and 4x 50s on the wings, plus 6,000lbs of ords - then you have a perk ride.
JG 52

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »
Perks are not much of a speculation.  Years ago I was speaking with Pyro on the phone when the subject of perk bombers came up and he mentioned the A-26 as an example.  Granted that was years ago and it could end up being free, but at the time Pyro saw it as a future perk bomber.  This call was during the revamp of the Spitfire lineup when my curiosity about if the Mk VIII, which had not been shown in screenshots, would make it in got the better of me and I called HTC to try to find out.  The conversation strayed off of Spitfires obviously.

yeah but still to speculate as it being perked from 1 to 1000 is not really up to us.  that was my point.

and butcher if you go based on lethality there's lots of other airplanes that are lethal and not perked.  p47s  8 50 cal mgs and unlimited ammo.  f4f 6 mgs awesome turner will kill almost anything 1v1, etc....

and if you mention well they're not as good as the tempest, may i remind you that most people that fly tempest only manage to kill themselves.

semp

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2012, 02:23:38 PM »
There is no harm in speculating on appropriate perk costs.  Given that the hard nosed A-26's role makes it inherently more vulnerable to fighters than the ways the Ar234, B-29 and Mosquito XVI get used I would expect the perk cost would have to be significantly lower than any of those.  So my thought is that the perk cost will be one of the low, token costs intended to control usage more than it is intended to be seen as buying an exciting, powerful unit cost.  Current units that have "low, control their usage" costs are the F4U-1C, M18, M4A3(76), Spitfire Mk XIV and T-34/85.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2012, 02:36:17 PM »

yeah but still to speculate as it being perked from 1 to 1000 is not really up to us.  that was my point.

and butcher if you go based on lethality there's lots of other airplanes that are lethal and not perked.  p47s  8 50 cal mgs and unlimited ammo.  f4f 6 mgs awesome turner will kill almost anything 1v1, etc....

and if you mention well they're not as good as the tempest, may i remind you that most people that fly tempest only manage to kill themselves.

semp

You're kidding, right?   :huh

You fly the uber 51D and want the P-47 perked?  Why, because it can sometimes catch you running away or because you can't vulch it in a single pass? 
And the F4F - yeah, OK. :rolleyes:  You need to see your doctor ASAP.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »

You fly the uber 51D and want the P-47 perked?  Why, because it can sometimes catch you running away or because you can't vulch it in a single pass? 

lol if it was up to me i would still fly the spit8, it is the best plane ah has imho.  i fly the ponyd because i got tired of ponies running away from me.  so now I chased them down, ask people in my squad i select/pick/whatever anything that I will see as just run and pick faster than i can.  i will go after the mossies, ponyd, etc more that i go after the goons.  after all i hate the competition :).  I also fly the p47's, not as much but the m is fricking fast as the ponyd with lots more ammo.  now the p47m is a fricking ubber uber ride more than the ponyd.  still learning it but it will replace the ponyd as my plane of choice.  of course the spit8 will always be in my heart  :banana:.

I dont want any plane i mentioned  perked, but just saying there's lots of other planes that people dont think as ubber but they are fricking ubber more than some of the perked planes we currently have.

semp

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2012, 05:06:07 PM »

We have someone comparing an F4F to a Tempest, good grief.
JG 52

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2012, 05:15:32 PM »

semp

Lets look at why the tempest is perked - Speed, Firepower, Turn radius, Climb Rate, acceleration.

P-47 being Lethal? Sure to an extent, The P-47M would be a good case to argue based on its stats, however its no where Lethal as a Typhoon or Tempest. In fact I would say its probably 30% less lethal then both.

It takes 3 or so 50 cal to equal the damage of one 20mm round, So thats 8 50s is 2.25 x 20mm guns, what about the other 2x 20mms?

Hell 8x 303s arn't even 1 20mm in terms of Lethality. Same for the F4F - although it can out turn quite a few planes, just because it does out turn every plane in the game, doesn't make it perkable.

Fact is unless you are higher then 4k above me, you can't catch a late war bird, and most Mid Wars, so that rules out the turn fight. If you do get caught by a bird that strictly does Vertical fighting, you cannot dive or runaway, Sure you could dive and give up whatever ALT you have stored, but the massive 320mph speed limit means you won't be outrunning most except for that pesky goon.

Same argument goes for the P51-D, rarely have I seen one that actually engaged in a dogfight, so I will say from my primary experience in the last 2 tours - It might run, however in a P-38J I won every vertical and turn fight, which leaves the P51-D only to have "speed", so it shouldn't be perked same with the Fw-190 since both only do one thing, now a tempest however - the damn thing better stay perked, run into a decent stick with a tempest and you realize quick there is very few mistakes it can make.
JG 52

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »
One note, "firepower" does not just refer to the guns.  The bombload also has to be included and the A-26 does very well there.  So does the P-47, but not nearly as well.  Also, twin engined aircraft all handle their bombloads better than single engined aircraft.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2012, 05:36:20 PM »
One note, "firepower" does not just refer to the guns.  The bombload also has to be included and the A-26 does very well there.  So does the P-47, but not nearly as well.  Also, twin engined aircraft all handle their bombloads better than single engined aircraft.

Yes sir, and also can sustain far more damage, in terms of durability, Lose one engine its no big deal.
JG 52