Author Topic: Greater Enforcement of Rule 3  (Read 2010 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Greater Enforcement of Rule 3
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:21:02 AM »
These days the wishlist forum is being a place for spam. Every week we get a new thread on topic that was discussed a previous week, and these threads end up with the same conclusion every week. When new ideas come they often drop down to the bottom of the page before most people get to read them because it's a lot more important to discuss whether or not we need the PBY & P-61.
I think AH could have been a lot better right now if all the good ideas were actually read by more than five people.

A rule should either be enforced or completely removed.

Quote from: Skuzzy
3- Do not open a new thread that duplicates a current topic.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: Greater Enforcement of Rule 3
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:52:01 AM »
These days the wishlist forum is being a place for spam. Every week we get a new thread on topic that was discussed a previous week, and these threads end up with the same conclusion every week. When new ideas come they often drop down to the bottom of the page before most people get to read them because it's a lot more important to discuss whether or not we need the PBY & P-61.
I think AH could have been a lot better right now if all the good ideas were actually read by more than five people.

I agree but i think skuzzy just does not have the time to police every forum threads. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 04:14:55 AM »
I assume you checked the previous 9000 posts in the wishlist before posting this idea.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 04:33:29 AM »
But by posting this you are in violation of rule #5

:D

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:03:43 AM »

What is the cut-off time limit?

The search function here usually nets you 8 year old threads even if there are threads 7.9 years newer on the exact same subject.

Maybe these guys who are violating your peace have been here less time than the previous threads of the same subject?

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 08:35:31 AM »
I 'bumped' an older topic to get it back up the list rather than duplicate it by creating a new one, and it was locked by HiTech as an 'old topic'.

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
I 'bumped' an older topic to get it back up the list rather than duplicate it by creating a new one, and it was locked by HiTech as an 'old topic'.

Yeah, small difference between bumping an old topic and starting a new topic that references or links that older topic. I can see the reason though. Bumping the topic forces everyone to read the old stuff, which may be so out of date as to be irrelevant. Creating a new topic cuts out having to dig through all the old posts; just quote the actual post in that thread that you think is relevant, then people can choose whether to go back and read the old thread or just comment in the current thread.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 11:50:28 AM »
I assume you checked the previous 9000 posts in the wishlist before posting this idea.

lol my thoughts exactly.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »
I'd say if it's within the first 3 pages of the thread list then it should be enforced.

Provided vanilla bbs settings.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »

Lol, oh snap.

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »
:rofl

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »
Quite frankly it all depends on the intent.

Wishing for something that was wished for before that you don't know about is not a big deal.

Wishing for something that you currently see on the front page would simply be for the purpose of wanting more attention and adds nothing.

Bumping your own topic that had died because you think people didn't consider it , is again simply wanting more attention and adds nothing.

HiTech

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »
I understand if someone posts a thread on a topic that has been discussed before and does not know it. But we have a lot of people who continually post requests for the same thing. Your right the continues requests add attention, but they also make it harder to filter out all the new ideas.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »
Wait...  There are new ideas?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »
HTC has limited precious time in it's production cycle to achive and maintaine this ongoing work of art.

As long as you aren't blowing up the house, skining the neighbjors dog, shooting the postman, or other destructive pastimes but, showing a continuing inerest in a subject. Then you are happely leaving the production staff alone to do their jobs. And helping HTC to see that you reeeeeaaallllyyy, rrreeaaaallllyyyy have an interest in that item.

Better to have you in an organised asylum chewing on each others dreams than stirring up trouble in the other forums.

Just a variation on the Red Ball, Green Ball, Blue Ball distraction method. No one gets hurt and you have 3 balls to play with in a room all to yourselves. Idle hands and all that rot comes to mind.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.