Author Topic: Why horde?  (Read 10550 times)

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Why horde?
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »
dont take it personal as I didnt mean it that way.  and it wasnt directed at you specifically even though i quoted you,  but more at all of us and our ideas of how the game should improve/going down the drain because we like/dont like this or that.

sorry if it came out as against you but that was not my intention :salute.

semp

I'm not offended in the least semp    :salute

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2012, 09:57:44 PM »
Matt, Herr vTWI.... I mean TROOPER.

1) the whole 'war' boils down to 25 perks in each category (about maybe an hours worth) and a new map......the new map is only sometimes better than the current one.

2) we get an infinite number of lives. I can go crash into the ground 1000 times in a row, and still do it an infinite number of times after that.

Since our cartoon war is pretty much pointless, and we risk nothing by dying, then wouldn't it make sense to play for the fight and to improve, rather than to win a war that you have no stake in?

Nobody plays to win the war just to get perks, it's its own reward. And getting kills or having a high score or even honing your fighters skills for its own sake don't mean anything more than winning the war. It's all just a meaningless game either way, just like any other game or hobby. You decide what your goal is going to be and do what you need to do to accomplish it.

When you play basketball or football or any team sport, you can play to look good, you can play to pad your personal stats, or you can play for your team to win the game, even though that win is completely meaningless unless you're a pro. I've always played to win. I'd rather my team get the win and have lousy personal stats than score 50 points myself but have the team lose. I do love a good fight and I love to get kills, but nothing in this game gives me more of a warm fuzzy feeling than a well-executed mission taking a field, especially if it's vigorously defended. "I love it when a plan comes together."

And taking fields is pretty much the only strategic goal worth pursuing in this game, strat and HQ missions don't accomplish anything. That's just the way the game is set up. That's not to say it's the only thing worth doing, of course, there are lots of ways to enjoy this game.

A lot of times people fly in hordes because the enemy is. Some of the maps (Trinity, Mindinao, NDISLES) channel the whole front into a very narrow area of fields that can practically be attacked, so when lots of people are online any attack on a field is likely to draw a big defense. If there are 30 defenders, a few skilled players might get plenty of kills attacking them, but the only way to suppress the defense enough to get a goon in is to bring the same sort of numbers, or at least to take down the hangars - the defenders have unlimited lives, and the goons are just too slow and vulnerable to survive in contested airspace regardless of the relative skill level of attackers and defenders (unless you bring a horde of goons, but that's just another kind of horde).

vDebrody, if you deplore our methods and skills so much, why do you want everyone to think you're in our squad? They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, right?

Offline drfritz

• Copper Member
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2012, 11:46:10 PM »
I sure wish there was  a defense that was put up to fight the hord attacks. being bish i havnt seen much of a effort in defending. even giving time to up.  they just dont show....

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2012, 01:05:42 AM »
Not really Orange, playing to 'hone your skills' as you put it, still gives you some measure of your accomplishment and tells you just how good you are. You don't get that with a horde, you don't know what you can do, you don't know how good you are, you don't know what you're worth. Since the sides aren't even, you can't even say 'the better country won', all you can say is 'that country won, there may have been a numbers advantage, we don't know the full story'

to quote Vince Lombardi:
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

"There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game, and that's first place. I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay, and I don't ever want to finish second again. There is a second place bowl game, but it is a game for losers played by losers. It is and always has been an American zeal to be first in anything we do, and to win, and to win, and to win.

"Every time a football player goes to play his trade he's got to play from the ground up — from the soles of his feet right up to his head. Every inch of him has to play. Some guys play with their heads. That's O.K. You've got to be smart to be number one in any business. But more importantly, you've got to play with your heart, with every fiber of your body. If you're lucky enough to find a guy with a lot of head and a lot of heart, he's never going to come off the field second.

"Running a football team is no different than running any other kind of organization — an army, a political party or a business. The principles are the same. The object is to win — to beat the other guy. Maybe that sounds hard or cruel. I don't think it is.

"It is a reality of life that men are competitive and the most competitive games draw the most competitive men. That's why they are there — to compete. To know the rules and objectives when they get in the game. The object is to win fairly, squarely, by the rules — but to win.

"And in truth, I've never known a man worth his salt who in the long run, deep down in his heart, didn't appreciate the grind, the discipline. There is something in good men that really yearns for discipline and the harsh reality of head to head combat.

"I don't say these things because I believe in the "brute" nature of man or that men must be brutalized to be combative. I believe in God, and I believe in human decency. But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle — victorious."
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2012, 02:26:38 AM »
I sure wish there was  a defense that was put up to fight the hord attacks. being bish i havnt seen much of a effort in defending. even giving time to up.  they just dont show....

Which to me is funny. There is so many whines about hordes yet some of the biggest complainers don't up to attempt to fight them or try and organize a defense. It is much easier to type a few paragraphs in a thread and draw a cartoon or two.

People play for different reasons. Your idea of fun may not be the same as others. I have flown in and against hordes and both are fun to do. Anyone who tells you they don't horde, or ho, or pick, or BnZ are not telling the truth 99% off the time.

Oh and the argument of people killing your fun is invalid. You make your own fun.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2012, 03:02:57 AM »
Not really Orange, playing to 'hone your skills' as you put it, still gives you some measure of your accomplishment and tells you just how good you are. You don't get that with a horde, you don't know what you can do, you don't know how good you are, you don't know what you're worth. Since the sides aren't even, you can't even say 'the better country won', all you can say is 'that country won, there may have been a numbers advantage, we don't know the full story'

to quote Vince Lombardi:

so what kind of defense do you put up when the never ending horde of drones are attacking you offline?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »
I feel like the answer to this should be fairly obvious:

Because it's fun!

People will do what is fun in a sandbox game.  Flying with a ton of other people with a common goal is fun.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2012, 03:25:54 PM »
I wonder if there would be a special events/arena way for a captureable base to start out neutral, and to have each side to show up and drop their ords in a scorable manner before duking it out to see who wins it. :noid
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »
Sure there is. Set the base to the third country not in use, and destroy the guns and adjust the repair time before the frame starts. Leave all other field structures up and you're good.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2012, 03:52:33 PM »
How about HTC drop the total bases you need to win the war by 10-20%, the twist being that once you have the number of bases you need, a timer starts and you MUST hold that number for 30-60 minutes before you can "Win da Warz". You can't capture any more bases, but must defend. Porking is ok, but no more captures until the timer is up.

Even the low numbered country could stop the win by getting just one base back. What do you think?

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »
Sounds good. They would probably have to play with the white-flag percentages on the towns, but still a good idea if you ask me.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »
How about HTC drop the total bases you need to win the war by 10-20%, the twist being that once you have the number of bases you need, a timer starts and you MUST hold that number for 30-60 minutes before you can "Win da Warz". You can't capture any more bases, but must defend. Porking is ok, but no more captures until the timer is up.

Even the low numbered country could stop the win by getting just one base back. What do you think?

One NOE to a vbase to stop a win?  The map would never change unless people purposely weren't trying to stop the win.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »
One NOE to a vbase to stop a win?  The map would never change unless people purposely weren't trying to stop the win.

Wiley.

I like it...  Require them to capture a few more then they need to win.  Then they have to hold the winning number at the end of 60 minutes.  So the timer starts when. for instance, they reach WIN# + 5.  But they only have to hold the winning number after the elapsed time to actually win.  Of course, there would be a system message announcing it when they reach that WIN#+5.  And maybe system update messages every 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:23:20 PM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2012, 04:23:13 PM »
I feel like if all 3 countries had common targets, the horde complaints would stop.  The issue now is that there are a LOT of targets to pick from, and when the "horde" gets together, they pick on just one.

Make taking bases a strategic move, instead of a game-winning move.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2012, 04:25:50 PM »
I like it...  Require them to capture a few more then they need to win.  Then they have to hold the winning number at the end of 60 minutes.  So the timer starts when. for instance, they reach WIN# + 5.  But they only have to hold the winning number after the elapsed time to actually win.  Of course, there would be a system message announcing it when they reach that WIN#+5.  And maybe system update messages every 10 minutes.

What would be the motivation to defend instead of rolling another undefended base to keep their number above the threshold?

Wiley.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:28:28 PM by Wiley »
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11