Author Topic: Why horde?  (Read 11442 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Why horde?
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:35:28 PM »
Been noticing talk about hordes is up lately, and hordes have always been one of my pet peves. And so I ask you: why?

Why do you fly in hordes? What benefit does it get you?

If you're after the war win perks, then you should know that the defenders get more perks from killing you guys than you do from the war win. Hordes are about the worst way to earn perks in the game.

If you're out for a fight..... why does it have to be a massive 30v30? a 10v10 is just as fun, and less harmfull to the health of the overall gameplay.

If you're out to capture bases and win the map as easily as possible, you can do that offline for free.

If you're out to stir up anger, and piss people off...... well in that case you're a sadist, and I wish you an unpleasant life.

Just trying to understand the reasoning from the horders perspective. From my perspective, there is no benefit to flying in a horde if you want to actually play the game.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:38:51 PM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Why horde?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:01:29 AM »
If you're out to capture bases and win the map as easily as possible, you can do that offline for free.

Are there other players offline you can fly with? An enemy to triumph over? A channel 200 where you can brag? And so on...

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 12:02:29 AM »
Some gets a sense of "Cool, I'm flying just like they did in WW2". Others "I can't find any fights, so I'll make one".
Others still "I get to see all my buddies, the excitement of vox chatter, the massive formations." A few just wants to take a base as easy as possible, but with friends. A few wants the war to end as quickly as possible. And a very few just wants to pick and score easy kills.

vTards have earned a name for themselves so they don't count.

I love and hate hordes. Love because you can get so many kills in just one pass. Hate because usually, they're the only place you can find action, and I have an urge to just duel someone in a 1 v 1 or a nice 2 v 2.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 12:06:40 AM »
I might also add the overwhelming majority of players is ending up "hording" at one point or another during a week or even during a day of AH. Pure "hordelings" are not the majority, and those alleged anti horders aren't as well.
Players are also verrrry quick with the horde tag, often it's just happening as a result of the ever fluid dynamics on a battlefield and not a result of a mission. Players do like to fly together, they do love to "win", and sometimes one particular targets is just in focus.

And since the switch time went back to 12 hours, I found myself being part of a horde quite frequently, because switching to the underdog is mostly no option anymore.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:08:59 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:30:29 AM »
horde is just more lemmings to kill, nothing more nothing less you can complain all you want and they are still going to be here so just deal with it and kill them.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:06:03 AM »
dont really know your situation tank-ace.  but you post lots of threads about why  people do this, why people do that and yet you dont really play the game.  so my question is why post questions about things that dont really affect you.  not trying to be rude or anything.  but it seems that you have forgotten what is like to have a 20v20 or 30v30 furball.  when you that many people you are actually flying in 1/2 a sector at the very least which is a very large space, unless of course you see a noe mission in which case it will within icon range.  but that ends within 1 or 2 minutes tops.

anyway whenever there's a large furball it may seem large but you have this constant players dying/coming back and you push or retreat and it may go for an hour or two and it's a lot of fun, some people dont like it, well they dont have to participate.

I dont care what people say about "I dont fly in hordes" but some are  just full of it as they will stay in the outskirts and kill whatever passes by.  there still part of it, perhaps not in the middle but they arent totally innocent bystanders either.  there's only a handful of players that I know who would rather fight with 2 or 3 players on each side, nothing wrong with that.

there's a big difference between a horde that just rolls bases and a horde v horde furball.  but who the hell are we to criticize either. I am beginning to realize that people pay their 15 bucks to play the game their way, they have fun their way.  while you and I may not agree with how some people play or dont play the game, we are nobody to tell anybody else in the game how they should have fun.  If we dont like the way they play, we can always go somewhere else that is more to your/mine liking.

:salute

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 02:47:10 AM »
No, I remember they're spread out over 1/2 a sector (and even that can be a very dense furball for some of the larger hordes). But if you go into the thick of it, you can have problems egressing (eg, you get jumped when low fuel, or your trail of oil draws every lemming within visual range  :banana:). And if you work the sides...... well personally, I just don't like working the sides.

And I'm just posting this out of idol curiosity. Yeah, I don't (didn't?) like the hordes. But I'm just trying to gain some understanding of what compels people to act like lemmings at times. Don't get me wrong, I love missions, and flying in coordination with my friends. I have nothing against team work or anything. But theres a difference between an organized mission that intends to do some fighting, and a mission that just rounds up a big group of people and throws them NOE at a base.

Personally, I feel that a nice 5-7vs5-7 is about the perfect sized fight. Not so big as go far beyond icon range of most, if any, of the planes, but still big enough that if the fight is close to a base, people that get shot down can reup and get back in the fight before it ends.

But beyond that, I get the feeling in a horde that everyone is just out for kills, they don't really care anything in particular for the actual fight.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 03:36:41 AM »
you not getting enough attention from mommy & daddy or something?

just curious why someone without a subscription to the game spends so much time complaining about how other people play it (spitfire whines, Top Gun whines, now horde whines)

:headscratch:

just lonely i guess

edit: and this definitely is a horde whine, thinly veiled as a question :)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:39:10 AM by coombz »
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 04:44:23 AM »
you not getting enough attention from mommy & daddy or something?

just curious why someone without a subscription to the game spends so much time complaining about how other people play it (spitfire whines, Top Gun whines, now horde whines)

:headscratch:

just lonely i guess

edit: and this definitely is a horde whine, thinly veiled as a question :)

:aok

Probably shading in AcesHigh. Take your pick from the many shades and he's probably one of them.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 05:14:40 AM »
Some gets a sense of "Cool, I'm flying just like they did in WW2". Others "I can't find any fights, so I'll make one".
Others still "I get to see all my buddies, the excitement of vox chatter, the massive formations." A few just wants to take a base as easy as possible, but with friends. A few wants the war to end as quickly as possible. And a very few just wants to pick and score easy kills.

vTards have earned a name for themselves so they don't count.

I love and hate hordes. Love because you can get so many kills in just one pass. Hate because usually, they're the only place you can find action, and I have an urge to just duel someone in a 1 v 1 or a nice 2 v 2.

The Brigade actually is rarely in a "Horde". The times you will see us in a horde is when we are helping out or joining in with a posted mission of which we did not plan or organize. try flying with us before you label us with the "horde" brand.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 04:34:54 PM »
The Brigade actually is rarely in a "Horde". The times you will see us in a horde is when we are helping out or joining in with a posted mission of which we did not plan or organize. try flying with us before you label us with the "horde" brand.

Who trains your pilots. It seems that three turns in they just fly straight. Possibly perplexed as what to do.

When the 80th brings in someone they have to serve as CO till we find another victim.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »
Who trains your pilots. It seems that three turns in they just fly straight. Possibly perplexed as what to do.

When the 80th brings in someone they have to serve as CO till we find another victim.

no one is trained for being a fighter pilot within our squad. we have many members that are good at different things. we have some that are gvers that get in a plane a good bit but its not their thing. We also have a few that love to fly in bombers, that will also fly in a fighter but its not one of the things they enjoy. Everyone in the squad only does things that they enjoy to do, none are forced to fly fighters or any specific aircraft. however when we do missions, we prefer that everyone is in the same aircraft or gv, except for a few that are asked to do something else that will aid the mission in another way. The main thing that we do train is the ability to dive bomb. we have only a few that can drop a bomb and hit what they were aiming for. Others, drop and hope they hit what they were assigned, for those that want help, we will help, but those that don't, we wont if they don't want it. All of our members fly together because they enjoy the atmosphere of the relationship between squad mates and they enjoy the way our squad works. If they don't like how we work, their welcome to leave, its their $15 a month. We have a few squads that we fly with and we have had some members go to those squads and we have had some of the other squad members come to us. We are all about having fun together, we careless about what skills we do or don't have, we careless about the ranking system and how it works, we careless about our k/s or k/d ratios. I welcome anyone to fly with us to see how we really operate and how our squad really does things, verses what everyone thinks our squad does.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 05:49:48 PM »

i call bs on this item  :devil.  look at your individual score you will see low percentage of kills while doing lots of damage in attack mode while the number of deaths are not as high as they should be if you were only furballing/defending. 

semp
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:52:25 PM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »
i call bs on this item  :devil.  look at your individual score you will see low percentage of kills while doing lots of damage in attack mode while the number of deaths are not as high as they should be if you were only furballing/defending.  

semp

refer to my post above yours. Also what does kills/damage/furballing/defending have to do with hording. If i understand correctly, a horde is a large amount of players that are flying together. What exactly does kills or any of that have to do with hording? I would really like to know the correct definition of what a horde is.... 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 07:44:24 PM by BowHTR »

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 05:59:04 PM »
Another thread on hordes  :rolleyes:
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B