Author Topic: Joe Paterno dead at 85  (Read 4749 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Joe Paterno dead at 85
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2012, 08:31:23 AM »
Oh there you are.  I thought you made a run for it.  So, yeah, what are you defending him from? 

I already said my 2 cents, as did others.   Would you like me to copy and paste posts for you?

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2012, 08:38:03 AM »
I already said my 2 cents, as did others.   Would you like me to copy and paste posts for you?

No thank you, I was just asking just in case you came up with new evidence of his Sainthood
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2012, 09:02:16 AM »
No thank you, I was just asking just in case you came up with new evidence of his Sainthood

:lol

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2012, 10:36:24 AM »
It is always easy to demonize someone when they are not around, especially when there is no possible chance of hearing what they have to say about it.  Speaking ill of the deceased doesn't really make the one heaving the insults any more classy or morally  pious than the person you are speaking ill about.  Disagreeing with how things were handled is understandable but refusing to acknowledge the goods things that he did do, or saying that bad things that happen in one's career negate the good things is just plain ignorant.  Regardless of how he may involved in this scandal, refusing to acknowledge the fact that there are a lot of happy, successful, morally sound people walking around whose inspiration came from Paterno or the Penn State institution is the sign of a small, ignorant, feeble minded and uneducated individual.  These are the same people that throw all Germans that were alive during the 30's and 40's under the bus with the Nazi's.  This is not to say that one outweighs the other, but there are too many folks that are too quick to discount any of the good when something bad happens.

Again, I will state that I would have probably contacted the police myself in that position (after taking time to think about it) and because I am not one to respond well to having my career held over my head, but why so much focus on Paterno, especially in the media?  Is is just because he is the face of Penn State?   There are many other players in this tragedy who are far more to blame that he is.  This is not to say that he must not share some of the blame or that he is a saint of any kind, but to be vilified in the media, internet forums or at dinner conversations is the weak and easy way out, especially since he is deceased.  It is very easy to heap as much blame as possible on the dead guy.  

We know that Sandusky did it, but what about the others?  I speak of McQueary, especially.  How a younger, stronger and more physically fit (I would assume) person could walk into a scene like that in the shower and NOT grab that old-arse child molester by the back of the neck and introduce his face to the tiles on the shower wall at a high rate of speed is absolutely beyond me.  I could possibly understand a slight pause from the shock of stumbling upon a scene such as that, but not reacting to it physically, with aggression towards someone doing that to a child totally boggles the mind.

Also, there is all this talk of how folks with kids have a different stance on the matter.  Well, I have kids and there are questions that I am obliged to ask with regard to the victims that had parents (I know some of these kids were foster children)...

Why would you let your kids sleep at a strange man's, or any other person's house that did not have children of their own the same age as your, alone, without it being a "team" slumber party?

Why would you have not educated your children about the dangers of pedophiles, how to react if it were to happen to them and the dire importance of telling you (as the parent) if anyone had tried to get fresh with them?

Why did the parents of the children that had the police and DA confront Sandusky not push the issue further than a preliminary investigation/interview after all of the authorities in Happy Valley threw their hands in the air and said "Oops, sorry, not enough to proceed with this"  If they believed their kids, why was the situation not pressed any more?

Lastly, and just some food for thought.  If anyone in this community were in put in Paterno's position, and had to choose between providing for your family or risking your career for some anonymous, homeless children that you would probably never meet and says that they would have acted without weighing out the consequences of their actions first is either a complete fool or a liar.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2012, 10:48:39 AM »
First you defended those Philly fans, now this.  Congratulations to you sir, you are a grade A scum bucket.

Lastly, and just some food for thought.  If anyone in this community were in put in Paterno's position, and had to choose between providing for your family or risking your career for some anonymous, homeless children that you would probably never meet and says that they would have acted without weighing out the consequences of their actions first is either a complete fool or a liar.

Seriously, this has to be the dumbest thing I've read on the entire interwebz.  I would explain why, but you're far too stupid to comprehend so I'll save the electrons.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2012, 11:05:36 AM »
First you defended those Philly fans, now this.  Congratulations to you sir, you are a grade A scum bucket.

Seriously, this has to be the dumbest thing I've read on the entire interwebz.  I would explain why, but you're far too stupid to comprehend so I'll save the electrons.

Looks evil when you take it out of context, doesn't it?  :)

Nice name-calling and excellent straw-man.  I'll admit, I almost bought it. 

You certainly took the bait, didn't ya?  Hook, line, and sinker.  I couldn't have done better on the opening day of trout season in a stocked stream being the only angler there.  I suppose you have never heard of a Devil's advocate?  The sheer speed of your response was the best part.  I didn't think I could control the way someone reacted to what I wrote so quickly.

Congrats  :aok

Offline BreakingBad

• Copper Member
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »
Lastly, and just some food for thought.  If anyone in this community were in put in Paterno's position, and had to choose between providing for your family or risking your career for some anonymous, homeless children that you would probably never meet and says that they would have acted without weighing out the consequences of their actions first is either a complete fool or a liar.

What an idiotic thing to say, in addition to being a false dilema.  Nobody gets fired for reporting child rape to the police, what flipping planet do you live on.  And as if some homeless child is less deserving of protection from sexual abuse. 

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2012, 11:13:16 AM »
Excellent speeches going on currently at the public funeral. Its on ESPN right now if anyone cares too watch.

So much love to the man, excellent role model, and a hero for kids trying to do it the right way.  :aok

Blinded by the light.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2012, 11:14:50 AM »
"If there is a villain in this tragedy, it lies in that investigation, not in Joe Paterno's response," -Phil Knight, Nike CEO

Blind leading the blind.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BreakingBad

• Copper Member
« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2012, 11:17:45 AM »

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »

Paterno didnt make the choice he did because he thought he was at risk, he made the choice he did because he thought that was what he should have done (take it up the ladder).  Joe simply did not know of the severity of the issue at the time it was told to him.  

and Tec.... be smarter than the average guy and hold fast your tongue!  Calling someone stupid brings you down to their level.   ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »
What an idiotic thing to say, in addition to being a false dilema.  Nobody gets fired for reporting child rape to the police, what flipping planet do you live on.  And as if some homeless child is less deserving of protection from sexual abuse. 

Where did I say anything about being fired?  There are worse thing than being fired.  Also, never did I say that that homeless children should not be afforded protection.

It was a hypothetical question, never once did I advocate either choice.  It was to prove the point that what how some folks claim they would react is a complete load of crap because, until one is in that situation, one cannot know how exactly they would react and that acting without thinking, in any situation is foolish.

In addition,I prefer the term false dichotomy over false dilemma, but to each his own.  In either case you are wrong, there were not other options to choose from.  Only two, telling the police or not telling the police, which does not make it a false dilemma.

Thanks for playing   :aok

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2012, 11:21:08 AM »

Why I think Joe Paterno is a excellent hero and role model for kids of today.

Joe Paterno preached to do more than yourself, to commit to excellence. Joe Paterno donated millions on millions of dollars to Universities, charities, special olympics, etc. He preached that you are a student-athlete, not an athlete. Most of the buildings, books in the libraries, and many of the things you see at that institution today are because of Joe Paterno. Did he win a lot of games? He sure did, but he changed many many more lives than people are giving credit for, more than any single one of us that bash/converse on this forum will ever do.

In the end he failed himself and penn state. He ended up not doing more than himself and no committing to excellence. He ended up contributing to some kids being hurt for life.

As for donating to all the charities... I see folks who screw people all week then go to church on sunday and they think all is well. A person is what he is.... not what he does. I imagine if you check on sandusky you'll see he donated millions and we know he opened a charity that "helped" children.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2012, 11:23:15 AM »
Blinded by the light.

Got my sunglasses on and can see clearly.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »

Got my sunglasses on and can see clearly.

Obviously rose colored.
80th FS "Headhunters"