Author Topic: How do I put game in Windowed mode?  (Read 1516 times)

Offline MaxRebo

• Zinc Member
How do I put game in Windowed mode?
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »
How do i put this game in Windowed mode? I run multi monitors and its annoying to dash the game just to do something on my other screen.

Offline MaxRebo

• Zinc Member
Re: How do I put game in Windowed mode?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »
nvm i just saw old posts it dont allow it. well it should. fix it >:O then i will suscribe.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »
 :rofl

Is school out already?

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 05:26:33 AM »
nvm i just saw old posts it dont allow it. well it should. fix it >WHOA! then i will suscribe.

why is it that important? :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 05:47:14 AM »
nvm i just saw old posts it dont allow it. well it should. fix it >:O then i will suscribe.

Gone so soon. We miss you already.

Dont worry HTC is world renouned in altering its product based on the annoyance of one person.
Im sure they will get right on it.
 LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline cbxsteve

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 02:57:14 PM »
Dont worry HTC is world renouned in altering its product based on the annoyance of one person.

One person? As they say, you're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. The lack of windowed mode is a serious shortcoming in AH, and potential new players will be repelled by the fact. Being insulted on the game forum doesn't help either. The developers have tried to institute windowed mode, and it didn't work out.

IMO, Aces High is hands-down the best aerial combat simulator in the gaming world, an amazing feat considering how long the line (and I'm including Air Warrior, although I don't know the genealogy, if any) has been in existence. One might ask, why, if AH is so great, does it only have a world-wide following of a few thousand subscribers rather than hundreds of thousands, or millions?

I like to think part of the answer is the unforgiving nature of the simulation. If you are not "wired" to be a fighter pilot (physical factors notwithstanding), or a born stalker/marksman for the ground game, you are going to be a very humbled and unhappy puppy playing AH. In reality though, I think the small player base is the result of the compressed dynamic range of how many things there are to do in the game, and the fact that, innovation wise, AH tends to lag the competition, like the windowed thing.

Having said all that, AH is a business, owned by people.  Although I don't know them, I suspect that they are having a ball coding, administering, and playing AH...and making some money doing it.  Sounds like a dream job to me.  If they don't want to risk making the game wildly popular by introducing features that will draw in the unwashed masses (and likely sucking out the fun for them), that is their call, but don't tell me that windowed mode would not be one of those highly desirable features.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 03:22:27 PM »
The lack of windowed mode is a serious shortcoming in AH, and potential new players will be repelled by the fact.

why? :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline cbxsteve

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »
why? :headscratch:
I can't even begin to enumerate the reasons, but I'll try:

1. I had to alt/tab out of the game to check for and find your response. I have no idea what is happening in the game as I type this. Is there a 51 on my ass?  dunno.  Guess I'll find out when I go back in.

2.  Imagine you're a fighter pilot.  You want to check some notes on your mission, targets, enemy dispositions, anything. You have to shut down all of your sensory input to do so until you finish.

3. As you play, you are waiting for an important e-mail. It's so important, you shouldn't be dividing your attention. Without windowed mode, you sit on your thumbs instead of playing.

4. You want to have the base map pdf up on your second monitor so you know what angle to attack at.  You DON'T want to print out the 12 pages and use up 8$ worth of ink.

The reasons are endless.  If you don't have dual monitors, they may not occur to you, but once you have, it really sucks living without them, or not being able to use them.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
I cant imagine it puts many players off, its not like you can dogfight and type an important email at the same time and get either right.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Cheese

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 07:12:22 PM »
I also have asked for Windowed Mode on several occassions.

There are many, many reasons to have it.

A new one I just found out yesterday  - bought a new headset, and I need to ALT TAB out to adjust settings.   I was grumbling to myself, "I sure wish AH had windowed mode" and PRESTO - I check the forums and that VERY topic is being discussed...Amazing.

Windowed Mode +1
Pigs on the Wing - Wing II
It's not Easy to be Cheesy!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »

1. I had to alt/tab out of the game to check for and find your response. I have no idea what is happening in the game as I type this. Is there a 51 on my ass?  dunno.  Guess I'll find out when I go back in.

Why are you worried about whats on the BBS WHILE your playing the game? I would think you'd be a bit more worried about playing well and watchin your @zz

2.  Imagine you're a fighter pilot.  You want to check some notes on your mission, targets, enemy dispositions, anything. You have to shut down all of your sensory input to do so until you finish.

All of that info should be in your mission brief IF they loaded a mission, if not then you should have written it down.

3. As you play, you are waiting for an important e-mail. It's so important, you shouldn't be dividing your attention. Without windowed mode, you sit on your thumbs instead of playing.

If your email comes in your "windows sound alert" will let you know when new mail has arrived.

4. You want to have the base map pdf up on your second monitor so you know what angle to attack at.  You DON'T want to print out the 12 pages and use up 8$ worth of ink.

The reasons are endless.  If you don't have dual monitors, they may not occur to you, but once you have, it really sucks living without them, or not being able to use them.

All maps are available on the clipboard in the game. Very easy to access.

Basically, you want windowed mode because that is what your use to in all those other games. It's not necessary, but something you miss.

Offline cbxsteve

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »
Basically, you want windowed mode because that is what your use to in all those other games.

I couldn't have summed it up better myself, thank you.

It's not necessary, but something you miss.

Necessary? Is air conditioning in a car necessary? Did you pay the extra $1400 bucks for it? Hell, is the car necessary? You're just trolling me aren't you?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 10:23:43 PM »

If your waiting for an important Email. You shouldnt be playing games.

As for the rest

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 06:37:28 AM »
If HiTech wanted the game to have the option to run in 'windowed mode' it would.  There are some very sound business reasons for that mode not being implemented.

That said, this is a tech support forum and not the "Wishlist" forum, so any requests for any features for the game will fall on deaf ears as I have nothing to do with what happens in developement of the game.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 09:24:30 AM »
Didn't one of the versions briefly have a windowed mode before it was removed via a patch?