Author Topic: I hate bad teachers  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: I hate bad teachers
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »
A while back, I met a guy who was able to tell my range in a GV by simply (acording to him) studying the trajectory of the incoming round.

Is that possible, or BS? And if it is, which part of math would that be?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2012, 12:12:20 PM »
bad teachers huh?

I had a teacher who would come in, turn on the overhead and leave all the time. People would write everything down but would still have questions. She would not further explain anything, only tell people to refer to the notes or read the notes aloud. More outspoken students would get irritated and comment on portions of the notes they didn't understand and repetitivly request for her to explain her notes. Eventually she would kick out the students who really wanted to learn calling them a distraction and everyone else got good at copying answers. 
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »
A while back, I met a guy who was able to tell my range in a GV by simply (acording to him) studying the trajectory of the incoming round.

Is that possible, or BS? And if it is, which part of math would that be?
I remember when I played regularly the trajectories of other people's shots were only roughly shown on your screen, which caused a lot of 'shooting through this and that (mostly trees hills and buildings)' complaining. So it's not likely that he was telling the truth, although I suppose he could have gotten a feel for how the rounds arc.

That would be trig/physics though.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2012, 05:17:14 PM »
Math and chemistry are two different subjects and need to be taught differently.
Even the packet that you're given to use on the AP test has a periodic table and a lot of formulas on it.
That said, there's still a lot of stuff you need to memorize for chemistry. Just less equations and stuff, as the important thing is to remember how to apply the equations.
In math, you're not given equations/formulas so much as you're given rules. And rules need to be memorized, plain and simple. When I took calculus my teacher (probably the best teacher I've ever had, and I was lucky enough to have him two years in a row) had given us several sheets that were printed front and back with formulas. At the beginning of the year they were all gibberish... halfway through we'd memorized around two of the pages front and back. Most people had lost them as we never used them. Finding something on there is a nightmare, as even being printed front and back there was a lot of information condensed in a little space. But at the same time, it all seemed like it was obvious and didn't need to be said... because that's just how math works. I guess I'm muddling this a little bit but there's a point... and I guess it's that there are no 'big' and 'small' concepts in math, it's just a pyramid that progressively gets bigger and bigger, and if you're like me or any of my friends, it's something that clicks around the time you get to calculus... and all the ways that you've been taught math all of the sudden make sense, and you never ask 'when will I ever use this?' ever again, because you realize that even if something doesn't really seem to be very useful at the moment in a year or two it will be essential, and even if something seems hard in another month it will be step 1 of a 5 step problem and you'll be able to do it without thinking, and you begin to appreciate (to a degree) when your teacher makes you do it 'the hard way' or doesn't give you the shortcut. Math's funny like that.

'Doing it the hard way' is important for stuff like factoring, imaginary numbers, etc.,.  However, telling the kids why they need to do it that way is very important.  Imagine trying to win WWII without telling anyone what Germany was doing.  It would be very hard to convince someone to build an airplane to bomb them if we told them to 'just do it'.  Showing kids what it should look like when they're done is essential.  For instance, when teaching the quadratic formula, telling them how it was derived, who invented it, and how it makes life easier goes a long way when it  comes to getting kids to memorize:

x=(-b)+-((b^2+4ac)^1/2)/2

Doing the above gives kids a good picture of what the heck they're doing.  Just having them memorize different rules will get old quickly.  Don't get me wrong, I like math!

-Penguin

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »
I remember when I played regularly the trajectories of other people's shots were only roughly shown on your screen, which caused a lot of 'shooting through this and that (mostly trees hills and buildings)' complaining. So it's not likely that he was telling the truth, although I suppose he could have gotten a feel for how the rounds arc.

That would be trig/physics though.

I kinda figured he wasn't telling the whole truth, but it was worth looking into. But whatever, I can still just guess ranges pretty damn accurately, and if that fails, theres always the Mils system in German tanks  :aok.

And you are correct about the incoming rounds. That, along with peoples general lack of common sense (e.g., they can't seem to grasp how different ranges and elevations affect the field of vision and line of fire for the enemy), contributes greatly to the "wtf, he shooted through a bush!" crys.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"