Author Topic: Was GV manual shift ever put back into the game?  (Read 2250 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Re: Was GV manual shift ever put back into the game?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 08:45:27 AM »
Guys; I am proposing adding manual as an *additional alternative* to automatic.  So you add a preferences setting which causes "w" to shift up one and "s" to shift down one.  No display changes needed (except for preferences) - pretty simple.  

AWwrgwy, Butcher, et. al.:  I respect your preference for auto, but you need to remember that not everyone shares it.  The "If it's good enough for me then it's good enough for you" attitude doesn't appeal.  

MH
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:48:28 AM by TDeacon »

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 08:45:49 AM »
People still use a joystick - I cant understand that part when tanking, a Mouse gives me the sensitivity to make easy 3-4k shots which a joystick can't do period.

My mode 2 (vehicles) joystick scaling is set different from mode 1 (planes) and I have no issues tanking and having fine control of the turret.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 10:53:20 AM »
Guys; I am proposing adding manual as an *additional alternative* to automatic.  So you add a preferences setting which causes "w" to shift up one and "s" to shift down one.  No display changes needed (except for preferences) - pretty simple.  

AWwrgwy, Butcher, et. al.:  I respect your preference for auto, but you need to remember that not everyone shares it.  The "If it's good enough for me then it's good enough for you" attitude doesn't appeal.  

MH

And as mention it has been requested the.same before. Why would you think they would change it now? You may hag liked it better the other way, much like a number of players, even some who left the game because of the change. Even so, we have the automatic now and it is what.everyone must learn and use.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »
And as mention it has been requested the.same before. Why would you think they would change it now? You may hag liked it better the other way, much like a number of players, even some who left the game because of the change. Even so, we have the automatic now and it is what.everyone must learn and use.

We shall see.

MH

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 06:23:39 PM »
My mode 2 (vehicles) joystick scaling is set different from mode 1 (planes) and I have no issues tanking and having fine control of the turret.

Yeah, me neither. With the T-34's, yeah, the quick turret rotation would sometimes pose problems. But with stick scaling, 3, even 4k shots weren't a huge deal.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Buckaroo

• Zinc Member
      • 3-in-1: Lathe_Mill_Drill (metal machine shop)
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 07:34:34 PM »

Ditto!

I just recently figured this out.  It is all about calibration and mapping the joystick as sensitive as you wish it to be.

I completely gutted out Mode 2's presets and did it my way.

My CH Pro Throttle's controls I have a button each set for:  stop; all out fast forward; incremental forward; reverse; start / stop engines toggle; and its hat is set to the 8 views looking around.  I steer with the pedals.

For me setting the in game resolution to its lower settings gives me much more effective bullet hits.  But I am still experimenting.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 09:47:42 PM »

MH

I suggested the same thing you are proposing, somewhere, because essentially all it is is a placebo for the "need manual transmission" guys.

You are doing the same thing as the automatic transmission, you are just pushing a "w" and "s" more.

You know you can actually do that the way it is now, right? Press "w" until you have accelerated the speed you want or press "s" to slow to the speed you want?

What you want to do is press "w" and accelerate to 8 mph then press "w" again and accelerate to 14 mph, etc.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 09:43:46 AM »
I suggested the same thing you are proposing, somewhere, because essentially all it is is a placebo for the "need manual transmission" guys.

You are doing the same thing as the automatic transmission, you are just pushing a "w" and "s" more.

You know you can actually do that the way it is now, right? Press "w" until you have accelerated the speed you want or press "s" to slow to the speed you want?

What you want to do is press "w" and accelerate to 8 mph then press "w" again and accelerate to 14 mph, etc.

wrongway

It doesn’t work that way for me.  I get stuck in first gear a lot, and don't seem to be able to shift up while turning.  Could be setup issues; could be calibration issues; could be equipment (I use rudder pedals for steering); or it could be imperfect implementation of the GV automatic transmission.  Whatever the reason, I would prefer a manual alternative.  It’s not a world-shaking issue, but it’s worth my while to suggest it.  I will attempt to phrase the request to suggest the minimum code changes on their part, for the maximum resultant utility.

Remember, different people have different preferences.  (Hey, I painted my house an ochre color, but if you want yours blue, I’m OK with that). 

MH

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 09:50:28 AM »

Its not a question at close range to hit a tank with a joystick, try zeroing in on a tank at 2-4k away on the move at full speed.
Even with the sensitivity and smoothness of a Thrustmaster I find this nearly impossible.
My point is lowing the mouse sensitivity offers better direct accuracy and aim at long distances.

Then again it's just like choosing joysticks it comes down to personal experience and what feels best.
I've tanked with a joystick for years until I found out the mouse was far better for long range.
JG 52

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 12:55:56 PM »
<snip> ... try zeroing in on a tank at 2-4k away on the move at full speed... <snip>

How can you even *see* a tank at 4K away, under the new view system???

MH

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 01:02:21 PM »
How can you even *see* a tank at 4K away, under the new view system???

MH

You don't use the commanders view to target tanks, Perk tanks have Zoom - Panther G, Firefly, Tiger and Tiger 2. Use the commander's View to find yourself a spot - then using the gunners position to track and fire, gunners have Optics far better then the Commanders View.

Certain tanks like the M-18 and M4-76 have a better zoom in the gunners position, other tanks like the T34/85 have horrible optics that you can actually see farther with the commanders view.

JG 52

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »
It doesn’t work that way for me.  I get stuck in first gear a lot, and don't seem to be able to shift up while turning.  Could be setup issues; could be calibration issues; could be equipment (I use rudder pedals for steering); or it could be imperfect implementation of the GV automatic transmission.  Whatever the reason, I would prefer a manual alternative.  It’s not a world-shaking issue, but it’s worth my while to suggest it.  I will attempt to phrase the request to suggest the minimum code changes on their part, for the maximum resultant utility.

Remember, different people have different preferences.  (Hey, I painted my house an ochre color, but if you want yours blue, I’m OK with that). 

MH

It's a set-up/equipment issue not a game/coading issue.

Fix/calibrate your rudder and it will work as designed.

I'm using 20 year old CH rudder pedals through a USB adapter and have to often recalibrate, which I can tell when gv-ing because I can't accelerate.

Your problem is easy to fix but the fix is all up to you.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »
Butcher,

I am familiar with the differences between the different view modes.  My latest observation is that the only tanks which have a prayer of seeing anything at 4K are the Tigers and the Panther.  The blurring of the Firefly sights makes it useless for me at long range.  I actually got some hits on stationary targets at a bit over 4K last night with a Tiger, but the targets were single-pixel, and it was eyestrain city.  

One caveat pertaining to the above, however is that I have an elderly system, which I have to run at a lower resolution, with much of the graphical enhancements off.  I also have a small 13” monitor.  When my personal situation permits me to upgrade to a newer system, I hope for improvement.  

BTW, I am not in any way commenting on "realism" here (who cares?), and am aware of typical engagement ranges in WWII.  

It's a set-up/equipment issue not a game/coading issue.

Fix/calibrate your rudder and it will work as designed.

I'm using 20 year old CH rudder pedals through a USB adapter and have to often recalibrate, which I can tell when gv-ing because I can't accelerate.

Your problem is easy to fix but the fix is all up to you.

wrongway

Wrongway,

I calibrate both in Windows and in the game.  My CH controllers work as they always have.  I have deadbands on all analog inputs.  I have a dedicated USB hub (?) with its own power supply.  That’s clearly not the whole story.  For example, my GV throttle controls are all mapped to keys/buttons, and not proportional input mechanisms (pots).  Yet I get into situations where I hit the “all stop” button on the flat, and the tank sometimes wants to creep forward.  Some other input is apparently active.  I also get into situations where I can’t shift up unless I don’t turn sharply (bad at a spawn point).  These sorts of things never happened with manual.  

Also note that, in general, any automatic transmission is an implementation of a closed-loop control system.  There are all sorts of imperfections which can result from trial-and-error design of such a system (oscillation, etc.).  We see the latter when climbing hills under certain conditions.  Tapping “S” as suggested by a previous poster, doesn’t always stop this.  

Some of your attempts to help are appreciated.  However, your efforts to dismiss manual as unnecessary seem analogous to someone who likes automobile automatic transmissions trying to convince someone to leave their stick shift.  They are ***not*** exactly the same thing, and trying to claim that they are (either with real cars, or with the game) just makes you look unknowledgeable.  

MH
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:02:34 PM by TDeacon »

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 12:22:27 PM »
Yet I get into situations where I hit the “all stop” button on the flat, and the tank sometimes wants to creep forward.  Some other input is apparently active.

Some tanks - seems the most popular ones - can pivot in place by using only rudder-pedal input. If you're at a complete stop and pivot with your rudder, you will creep forward.  At least that's what I've been reading, since I don't GV much.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 12:26:22 PM »
Some tanks - seems the most popular ones - can pivot in place by using only rudder-pedal input. If you're at a complete stop and pivot with your rudder, you will creep forward.  At least that's what I've been reading, since I don't GV much.

This is because some tanks have "zero-turn" ability, like a new mower, i.e. the tracks will move in opposite directions, in-place, allowing the tank to pivot without the need for forward motion.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.