Author Topic: Oi Vay  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Oi Vay
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »
No, I'm not Jewish, but I think that the expression is apt.

Today in French I had the displeasure of learning about environmentalism.  Now, while many would call me a 'hippie treehugger,' I know that not every method of 'going green' is helpful in preserving our planet's precious resources and the climate that lets us grow food.  So, here are a few sample questions.  The answers were either 'Good for the environment' or 'Bad for the environment' with nothing in between.

1.) Driving hybrid vehicles
2.) Cutting down more trees
3.) Hunting animals for fur
4.) Using aerosols

I just can't believe how poorly worded these questions are.  They make no mention of how much CO2 is created in building, say, a Prius and where the electricity comes from, or that hunting can be conducted responsibly, or that using aerosols does not necessitate the use of greenhouse gas or CFC propellants, or that trees can be replanted after careful harvesting.  When I asked my friends about it (and we are in the Honors class, so it's not like I'm hanging around with tweedle dee and tweedle dum) they said 'Don't think about it, just answer it'.  Their views on hunting were so extreme that it was unbearable: Hunting animals is bad, period.  Many species, such as deer, have exploding populations due to the extinction of natural predators, so hunting is a good way to control pests.

When I asked the teacher, it was even worse.  She said "9/10 of us say that it's green, so it's green.  Just go with the majority opinion."  For all the talk about 'The good old days' of education, those days had certainly not taught her that a show of hands doth not a true statement make.  While I agree that we must be good stewards of the planet, getting sucked in by commercial hype and acting like sheep isn't the way to do it.  It's the little stuff like shutting the lights off or turning down the heat or A/C that really make the difference.  Idiots.

-Penguin

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
Re: Oi Vay
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:47:22 PM »
90% of Oxygen production and CO2 is scrubbed from the atmosphere by algae... forests are pretty, but it's really not a horrible thing to cut down a tree.

I'd be more concerned with the chemicals used in making batteries slowly seeping into ground water and making their way to the Ocean.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:57:15 PM »
Audi TDI's can go 25,000km between Oil Changes.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »
well, if this was in French class as you say, then I imagine they are just trying to teach you how to say/write the 'correct' answers for passing the tests etc, rather than having a serious discussion on environmentalism...don't read too much into it

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:03:50 PM by coombz »
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:02:10 PM »
Audi TDI's can go 25,000km between Oil Changes.

The PT-6 turbine in the T-6A Texan II NEVER needs an oil change.  It burns off a bit all on its own so it just needs topping off every few flights.  That must mean it's totally GREEN, right?
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Hannibal

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:43:41 PM »
Read up on Agenda 21 if you want to know what all that brainwashing is about.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:58:49 AM »

:bhead
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:20:07 AM »
Badly worded but I'll have a go.

A Japanese hybrid is one of the worst polluters in the world. The batteries contents are mined in South America, shipped to Japan, finally put in the cars then shipped across the world.
Cutting down trees unlocks more carbon and hydrocarbons stored.
Hunting Animals for fur is... Bad for the animal, good for the enviroment. No more polluting for you chinchilla! Animal methane is terrible.
Aerosols are no longer a danger to the enviroment as CFCs are banned and conpanies recycle the cans.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 01:27:57 AM »

:noid  :aok
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 10:35:21 AM »

Today in French I had the displeasure of learning about environmentalism.  Now, while many would call me a 'hippie treehugger,' I know that not every method of 'going green' is helpful in preserving our planet's precious resources and the climate that lets us grow food.  So, here are a few sample questions.  The answers were either 'Good for the environment' or 'Bad for the environment' with nothing in between.

4.) Using aerosols

I just can't believe how poorly worded these questions are.  They make no mention of how much CO2 is created in building, say, a Prius and where the electricity comes from, or that hunting can be conducted responsibly, or that using aerosols does not necessitate the use of greenhouse gas or CFC propellants, or that trees can be replanted after careful harvesting.  When I asked my friends about it (and we are in the Honors class, so it's not like I'm hanging around with tweedle dee and tweedle dum) they said 'Don't think about it, just answer it'.  Their views on hunting were so extreme that it was unbearable: Hunting animals is bad, period.  Many species, such as deer, have exploding populations due to the extinction of natural predators, so hunting is a good way to control pests.

When I asked the teacher, it was even worse.  She said "9/10 of us say that it's green, so it's green.  Just go with the majority opinion."  For all the talk about 'The good old days' of education, those days had certainly not taught her that a show of hands doth not a true statement make.  While I agree that we must be good stewards of the planet, getting sucked in by commercial hype and acting like sheep isn't the way to do it.  It's the little stuff like shutting the lights off or turning down the heat or A/C that really make the difference.  Idiots.

-Penguin

Seriously, you should seek help.  :old:
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 04:43:16 PM »

I'm not so much concerned that it's brainwashing, rather a mistake in the system (e.g., math is 'brainwashing' in the same as sense as what I described, but as long as the information is correct then it's fine).  It's the poor conduction of the lesson and vague questions that frustrate me. 

-Penguin

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 05:34:05 PM »

4.) Using aerosols

-Penguin

This troll needs to go the same way davidwales did.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 06:01:45 PM »
It's not trolling if it's true. 

-Penguin

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 06:24:21 PM »
It's not trolling if it's true. 

-Penguin

On the contrary, posting the truth is often the best way to troll, because so many people don't want to hear it.
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »
On the contrary, posting the truth is often the best way to troll, because so many people don't want to hear it.

*Slow clap*

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com