Author Topic: Oi Vay  (Read 2326 times)

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Oi Vay
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 08:19:06 PM »
well, if this was in French class as you say, then I imagine they are just trying to teach you how to say/write the 'correct' answers for passing the tests etc, rather than having a serious discussion on environmentalism...don't read too much into it

Oui, c'est vrai. écoutez-vous a cet homme intelligent la, jeune!

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »
merci beaucoup ;]
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 11:20:17 PM »
Is that Esperanto?
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 04:49:42 PM »
Oui, c'est vrai. écoutez-vous a cet homme intelligent la, jeune!

Je comprend que tu dit, mais je veut seulment expliquer mon frustration avec les questions.

No, it's French.  Pierre, baguette, Marie Antoinette.

-Penguin

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
Et JE comprend ce que TU veu dire-- les questions qu'ils vous demandent sont ridicule-- mais je veut simplement dire qu'I'll n'est pas autant les sujets qu'ils veut vous introduire aux different sujets/façons de parler.

Immersion or Core?

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »
Nous sommes dans un combination bizarre de les deux methodes.  En le future, je vais ne discoute pas des questions parce qu'ils sont moins importantes que le lecon.

Wow, I feel like I'm really getting the hang of French!

-Penguin

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 07:53:34 AM »
Nous sommes dans un combination bizarre de les deux methodes.  En le future, je vais ne discoute pas des questions parce qu'ils sont moins importantes que le lecon.

Wow, I feel like I'm really getting the hang of French!

-Penguin

Well done young man  :aok

The correct phrasing is:

Nous sommes dans une combinaison bizarre des deux méthodes. Dans le futur, je ne vais pas discuter des questions car elles sont moins importantes que la leçon.

If you need some proof-reading of one of your works, just let me know ;)

(pssst Penguin-haters: I have a paypal account if you mant me to slip some awful errors in his texts  :devil)
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Hoffman

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »
1.) Driving hybrid vehicles
2.) Cutting down more trees
3.) Hunting animals for fur
4.) Using aerosols

1: Driving Hybrid Vehicles.

Sure. You'll burn less gasoline, but what about the manufacture it takes to create the batteries and electric motors, and the disposal of said batteries?

2: Cutting down more trees.  So, the great thing about lumber harvesting, is that they grow the trees, then cut them down, send them to the sawmill, turn them into planks/plywood/particle board/paper/ etc. etc.  Very little of the tree is wasted, and in order to release the carbon stored by the tree you have to burn it.  Whereas I'll wager most of the wood goes into making houses.  Which don't burn down all that often... at least not intentionally. 

So wouldn't the forestry industry be saving the environment from an environmentalist's perspective?  Since they grow the trees, the trees eat the carbon, they cut down the trees, and that carbon is then stored in someone's new house, and isn't released until the house is burned down by an angry neighbor. :angel:

They then plant more trees to eat more carbon to turn into more houses.

3: Hunting animals for fur.  Mmm... tasty tasty animals... and once you've eaten them you get a nice warm coat out of the deal too... and maybe a new leather couch.

Over hunting is bad.  But since human presence tends to drive away predators then hunting animals for their fur is probably a good way of fixing population imbalances caused by human expansion.

4: Aerosol... I thought we banned all the nasty stuff from aerosols 20 or 30 years ago?

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 10:39:47 AM »
Hoff, your bit with trees made me laugh harder than I have in a while :rofl :rofl :rofl

plant more trees to eat more carbon to turn into more houses.

:lol :lol awesome :aok

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 12:15:17 PM »

2: Cutting down more trees.  So, the great thing about lumber harvesting, is that they grow the trees, then cut them down, send them to the sawmill, turn them into planks/plywood/particle board/paper/ etc. etc.  Very little of the tree is wasted, and in order to release the carbon stored by the tree you have to burn it.  Whereas I'll wager most of the wood goes into making houses.  Which don't burn down all that often... at least not intentionally. 

So wouldn't the forestry industry be saving the environment from an environmentalist's perspective?  Since they grow the trees, the trees eat the carbon, they cut down the trees, and that carbon is then stored in someone's new house, and isn't released until the house is burned down by an angry neighbor. :angel:

They then plant more trees to eat more carbon to turn into more houses.

3: Hunting animals for fur.  Mmm... tasty tasty animals... and once you've eaten them you get a nice warm coat out of the deal too... and maybe a new leather couch.

Over hunting is bad.  But since human presence tends to drive away predators then hunting animals for their fur is probably a good way of fixing population imbalances caused by human expansion.

Exactly! You beat me to it and these are the points I want to build on.

I'm a senior Forestry major. The Coal/Oil Industry is much more harmful to the environment than the Timber Industry. Trees capture carbon (A lot of friggin Carbon) in the wood from the atmosphere through photosynthesis. When the wood is burned, the carbon that was stored in the wood is released back into the atmosphere, yes. But think about it, there is no additional carbon put back into the atmosphere from burning the wood by itself. The process is a complete wash, like taking a bucket full of water out of the ocean and then dumping it back in. Here is the elemental break down of wood in % dry weight: 49.0% Carbon, 44.0% Oxygen, 6.0% Hydrogen and 0.2-.5% Ash. Using wood as a building material is the best thing we can do for the environment. As a building material, it is more efficient than steel or concrete because it is an excellent insulator (less energy needed to heat/cool a wooden building) and it requires less raw materials/energy to produce. I think what hurt the forest industry's reputation in the eye of public opinion was its stance up until the 80's that "They knew best" and chose to ignore outside opinions. Presently, the industry goes to great lengths to listen to all steakholders and run operations with as little environmental impact as possible. We have more standing timber now in this country than we did 300 years ago, its just not old growth timber. There are even government programs to convert old agriculture fields back into timberland. Forests are dynamic, they're always changing. Sadly, some people's perception of what our forests should look like comes from watching movies like "Bambi", where everything lives in harmony and man is the Factor. There are close to 7 billion people on this planet and to think that we can all survive without affecting the environment at all (staying completely "hands off") is loony, but we are certainly taking steps to reducing our global footprint in ways that are both plausible and realistic. Here is the link to my sources: http://www.mediafire.com/?pc3ufdb7dgqjd

Obviously, over-hunting an animal for commercial profits is bad and that was common prior to the early 1900's, but now there are management restrictions in place to attempt to keep populations in a state of equilibrium. Fortunately, we live in a time and society where hunting/trapping is not the only way a person can put food on the table. There are people in this world that are simply misguided and have chosen to only look at one side of the coin. For example, I read a response on a youtube video from a woman who basically said, "shame on you hunters! you are the reason why wild hogs are becoming extinct!"... :huh. Wild hogs are an abomination to the habitat and reproduce at an exponential rate; currently, hunting/trapping is almost not enough to keep their populations in check. As a hunter, I will take game animals in a responsible way that encourages the longevity of its own species. My family cooks a lot of wild game meat that is very good and filling. We are sure to give away any extra meat we are not planning on consuming; A lot of states have "hunters feed the hungry" programs where hunters can donate deer meat to shelters. 

To conclude, there are many activists and organizations out there with different perspectives on issues. Keep in mind that all extreme activists have an agenda to push, and will not stop at misconstruing data to gain a following. Keep your wits about you and don't get sucked into one side of an issue without looking at both sides. Make informed decisions and rational conclusions.

(BTW, my text window keeps shifting back to the top of the post everytime I type. This is extremely annoying, does anybody know how to fix this?)
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »
The PT-6 turbine in the T-6A Texan II NEVER needs an oil change.  It burns off a bit all on its own so it just needs topping off every few flights.  That must mean it's totally GREEN, right?

There are ALOT of PT-6s out there, guess the aviation industry is greener than I thought  :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Hoffman

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
(BTW, my text window keeps shifting back to the top of the post everytime I type. This is extremely annoying, does anybody know how to fix this?)

Mine keeps doing that too... haven't found a fix, I just ingore it and usually scroll down to make sure I didn't make any spelling errors.  I wonder if it's a browser problem, I just checked and it only does it in Internet Explorer, Firefox works perfectly fine for me.

Also, on topic.  Doesn't burning wood also leave a good bit of the carbon behind as solid material?(Ashes)  Meaning that when you burn wood you have the over-all effect of putting less carbon back than the tree took out.
To continue the bucket analogy, the little droplets that stick to the side of the bucket after you've dumped it.

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »
A whole semester of French 1 helped me understand most of that  :D

Might be taking a trip to Nourmantier next summer

Probably didnt spell Noirmoutier right either  :lol
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:05:48 PM by Seanaldinho »

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »

Mine keeps doing that too... haven't found a fix, I just ingore it and usually scroll down to make sure I didn't make any spelling errors.  I wonder if it's a browser problem, I just checked and it only does it in Internet Explorer, Firefox works perfectly fine for me.

Also, on topic.  Doesn't burning wood also leave a good bit of the carbon behind as solid material?(Ashes)  Meaning that when you burn wood you have the over-all effect of putting less carbon back than the tree took out.
To continue the bucket analogy, the little droplets that stick to the side of the bucket after you've dumped it.

This may or may not work but if you go to internet options (I assume you are both using I.E.) and then over to advanced tab and under browsing check the box "Automatically recover from page layout errors with Compatibility View".

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »
Exactly! You beat me to it and these are the points I want to build on.

I'm a senior Forestry major. The Coal/Oil Industry is much more harmful to the environment than the Timber Industry. Trees capture carbon (A lot of friggin Carbon) in the wood from the atmosphere through photosynthesis. When the wood is burned, the carbon that was stored in the wood is released back into the atmosphere, yes. But think about it, there is no additional carbon put back into the atmosphere from burning the wood by itself. The process is a complete wash, like taking a bucket full of water out of the ocean and then dumping it back in. Here is the elemental break down of wood in % dry weight: 49.0% Carbon, 44.0% Oxygen, 6.0% Hydrogen and 0.2-.5% Ash. Using wood as a building material is the best thing we can do for the environment. As a building material, it is more efficient than steel or concrete because it is an excellent insulator (less energy needed to heat/cool a wooden building) and it requires less raw materials/energy to produce. I think what hurt the forest industry's reputation in the eye of public opinion was its stance up until the 80's that "They knew best" and chose to ignore outside opinions. Presently, the industry goes to great lengths to listen to all steakholders and run operations with as little environmental impact as possible. We have more standing timber now in this country than we did 300 years ago, its just not old growth timber. There are even government programs to convert old agriculture fields back into timberland. Forests are dynamic, they're always changing. Sadly, some people's perception of what our forests should look like comes from watching movies like "Bambi", where everything lives in harmony and man is the Factor. There are close to 7 billion people on this planet and to think that we can all survive without affecting the environment at all (staying completely "hands off") is loony, but we are certainly taking steps to reducing our global footprint in ways that are both plausible and realistic. Here is the link to my sources: http://www.mediafire.com/?pc3ufdb7dgqjd

Obviously, over-hunting an animal for commercial profits is bad and that was common prior to the early 1900's, but now there are management restrictions in place to attempt to keep populations in a state of equilibrium. Fortunately, we live in a time and society where hunting/trapping is not the only way a person can put food on the table. There are people in this world that are simply misguided and have chosen to only look at one side of the coin. For example, I read a response on a youtube video from a woman who basically said, "shame on you hunters! you are the reason why wild hogs are becoming extinct!"... :huh. Wild hogs are an abomination to the habitat and reproduce at an exponential rate; currently, hunting/trapping is almost not enough to keep their populations in check. As a hunter, I will take game animals in a responsible way that encourages the longevity of its own species. My family cooks a lot of wild game meat that is very good and filling. We are sure to give away any extra meat we are not planning on consuming; A lot of states have "hunters feed the hungry" programs where hunters can donate deer meat to shelters. 

To conclude, there are many activists and organizations out there with different perspectives on issues. Keep in mind that all extreme activists have an agenda to push, and will not stop at misconstruing data to gain a following. Keep your wits about you and don't get sucked into one side of an issue without looking at both sides. Make informed decisions and rational conclusions.

Wow, I never heard about that before.  Isn't the lumber industry also conducting its large-scale operations in forests devoted to creating timber (i.e., they grow trees, cut them down, replant them, and move on in an area small enough not to have a big impact)?  I don't feel nearly as guilty about wood now.  However, isn't it true that a great deal of energy (and therefore carbon) is expended in order to process the lumber?

-Penguin