Author Topic: Why have armor piercing shells on planes?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
Re: Why have armor piercing shells on planes?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
really? An ost/wirblewind can now be destroyed by strafe damage incurred thru the main gun deck?

It appears that way.  I attacked a wirb with a niki in a almost vertical dive and the wirbl exploded, which surprised me as I didnt think that would have been a kill shot.  Other than that anecdotal evidence I havent really noticed.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
I was stafed to death last night by two 110's in one pass in a Wirb.  Wirbles and Ostis are now no more heavily armored than an M-8, M-16 or Jeep and since they were built on a Panzer chassis I suspect the Panzers are as easily killed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:57:01 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »
I was stafed to death last night by two 110's in one pass in a Wirb.  Wirbles and Ostis are now no more heavily armored than an M-8, M-16 or Jeep and since they were built on a Panzer chassis I suspect the Panzers are as easily killed.
Panzers are not open topped vehicles, why would you think they were as easily killed?

If they are, it should be a bug.

You do know that the turret was not an isolated compartment separate from the driver, right?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 10:04:14 AM »
Panzers are not open topped vehicles, why would you think they were as easily killed?

If they are, it should be a bug.

You do know that the turret was not an isolated compartment separate from the driver, right?

Last night my Tiger was killed by the .50 cal on an M3.  He must have emptied it on me while I was busy with other tanks but it killed me.  Last time I checked Tigers were not open topped vehicles.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 10:12:57 AM »
I survived the straffing of many 110s, B25s and LAs last night in my panther... I did lose my tracks though.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 10:13:34 AM »
Last night my Tiger was killed by the .50 cal on an M3.  He must have emptied it on me while I was busy with other tanks but it killed me.  Last time I checked Tigers were not open topped vehicles.
That should not be possible.  I would make a film of it and send it to HTC as a bug.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »
Waystin, I was upping into a bunch of F4's, 190's and 109's in a Wirble last night.  Every time the first or second pass killed my turret and the second or third pass killed me.

HT said in the release notes that cumulative damage would kill a GV.  I expect that's what I was experiencing and if that's the case then no armor piercing shells should be needed anymore, just enough cumulative damage with anything.  Thus my question, why even have planes with armor piercing shells?

Rich.  I'm not in the V squad so make sure you know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.

Interesting.  I guess that I missed that.  Mind posting a link?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2012, 11:28:36 AM »
I think he means this quote from the patch notes of version 2.27

"Wirbel and Ostwind turrets can no longer take on indefinite damage after they've been destroyed without eventually destroying the vehicle."

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 11:52:23 AM »

So now "they" want AP removed? Imagine if History was truly copied

If history was treuely copied. Alot less tanks would be killed outright by a single IL2 using guns alone.
And that would be according to the Russians own data which I posted here a couple of years ago
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »
Last night my Tiger was killed by the .50 cal on an M3.  He must have emptied it on me while I was busy with other tanks but it killed me.  Last time I checked Tigers were not open topped vehicles.

B.S.  You were not killed by a M3 while in a Tiger this tour.  Both of your Tiger deaths were from a Tiger I and a Panzer IV H, your only death by an M3 (most likely from the 75mm at close range) was when you were in a Panzer IV H, not a Tiger.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2012, 03:11:12 PM »
I lost a Panther to a wirblwind due to cumulative damage, thus being said - I also had one track knocked out, engine and turret, so eventually the damage was to much.

Now for everyone to think strafing a tank works - I had 3x vTards in a Me110s attack my Panther, all three strafed and strafed until one used the wittle bomb to track me, I went AFK for 5 minutes and came back to still be alive and all 3 either out of ammo or running home.

For the ones who think strafing a Tank does much damage think again, or even destroying a tank.

Your best bet is to track it and even then its not an easy task, assuming I had any ammo in my Panther I'd probably would of shot the planes down except I was empty and the pintle gun was blown off from a tank earlier.

When I eventually died - it gave credit to the tanker not the 110s even after all 3 pumped probably all their ammo into me.

Only damage he actually did was knock off the pintle gun, no other damage was done, still he got credit for the kill over the 3 aircraft.
JG 52

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2012, 03:49:07 PM »
B.S.  You were not killed by a M3 while in a Tiger this tour.  Both of your Tiger deaths were from a Tiger I and a Panzer IV H, your only death by an M3 (most likely from the 75mm at close range) was when you were in a Panzer IV H, not a Tiger.

ack-ack

Oops.  You must be right.  I must not have heard the tank round hit and I didn't look at my stats.  Never even thought about it.

Offline hotard

• Copper Member
      • nampamodelaviators.org
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »
First it was the F3, next the evil Vtards have the AP shells on the Stormbirds targeted. I was defending a base yesterday and with the fighter hangars down, ords down, it was an easy matter for a swarm of Vtards to over-run the base. We all know they are talking about the IL2 cause its the only airplane with AP that actually has impact. Now that the gelded IL2 has only the tortured gulag prisoner in the back seat its helpless against fighters. Instead of "StormBird" I now dub thee "CrowBait". (Image removed from quote.)

So now "they" want AP removed? Imagine if History was truly copied and the CrowBaits chucked out about 200 of these onto their King Tigers? (Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Before you know this this place will be a $15 per month World of Tanks.

Just to clue you in Richie, Vtards had nothing to do with f3 in Il2 going away.. It was the chose few whinning to HTC because GHI was clobbering them in his Il2.. As GHI and the Devils Brigade are both bish.. I rather doubt they would push for the f3 view to go away.
Guys like me are the reason guys like you hate LA's

Offline hotard

• Copper Member
      • nampamodelaviators.org
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »
I have a much bigger problem with the unrealistic amount of damage a Wirb/Ostie can  take from tank rounds than I do from hiw easily it is/is not killed by airplanes. Everyone here has put 4+ rounds into a wirb/ostie without killing it all too often. It has become a running joke in the MA
Guys like me are the reason guys like you hate LA's

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
I have a much bigger problem with the unrealistic amount of damage a Wirb/Ostie can  take from tank rounds than I do from hiw easily it is/is not killed by airplanes. Everyone here has put 4+ rounds into a wirb/ostie without killing it all too often. It has become a running joke in the MA

quote from the patch notes of version 2.27

"Wirbel and Ostwind turrets can no longer take on indefinite damage after they've been destroyed without eventually destroying the vehicle."

I take this to mean that if I kept smacking a turret before I could never kill a wirbl.

no I can,  I think this has been recently addressed.  Hitting them in the hull is no easier or harder than a regular panzer as near as I can tell.