Author Topic: Why have armor piercing shells on planes?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Why have armor piercing shells on planes?
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:51:28 PM »
I was just playing in LW.  Any old airplane can now kill a heavily armored Osti, Wirble or Panzer in two passes so why in the world would you need armor piercing shells in airplanes?

I can see tracking them or turreting them but a total kill in two passes?  I'm going to quit using the specially equipped planes.  Why bother?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why have armor piercing shells on planes?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:57:29 AM »
which airplane?  i want to get kills too.  once i killed a tiger with just one pass in my spit9, he had no damage, i was just marking it but it blew up, the bad names i got called that day.  wirbie should be killed from above as they have an open turret.  I have only turreted them but never killed one.   osties were not known to be heavily armored. i think.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 03:03:57 AM »
I was just playing in LW.  Any old airplane can now kill a heavily armored Osti, Wirble or Panzer in two passes so why in the world would you need armor piercing shells in airplanes?

I can see tracking them or turreting them but a total kill in two passes?  I'm going to quit using the specially equipped planes.  Why bother?

Film? I'm guessing not or you'd check to watch the aircraft strafing you while someone sneaks up on ya  :salute

Only way i've been killed with something smaller then a 37mm is the 20mm's on the IL2, other then that I can't recall ever being killed by gunfire unless flipped over.

JG 52

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:45:58 AM »
Film? I'm guessing not or you'd check to watch the aircraft strafing you while someone sneaks up on ya  :salute

Only way i've been killed with something smaller then a 37mm is the 20mm's on the IL2, other then that I can't recall ever being killed by gunfire unless flipped over.

If you get hit with enough of anything and take damage, be it an 88 or a .45, and damage bring cumulative, eventually you will go boom.

In the case of a .45 it may take a reeeally looooooong time but I'm sure if you get shot by enough of them you will die.

The line forms over there------------->

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 05:42:43 AM »

Can ya do it consistently without using zoom?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:34:55 AM »
And the 38mm at the field can land 276 hits all over the osti or wirb from 600 meters and it drives off undamaged.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 07:49:31 AM »
As always, and as always forgotten, it matters greatly where you hit your target.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »
First, it doesn't take much to render a mechanical device inoperable (AA guns) when your speaking of projectiles moving at thousands of feet per second, be it AP or HE.    For an aircraft to be able to disable a turret is rather quite easy, it is do different then destroying a manned ack/auto ack in a gun pit on a field.  Just get a single round of HE in a near miss or a few rounds of direct hit MG (AP FMJ's). 

Secondly, now that HTC has taken the step towards experimenting with different icon ranges in the MA (and a big  :aok to HTC for doing so), I'd really like to see them reduce the amount of zoom a pilot is able to have.  I have not been able to pin point what exactly the pilot zoom is, but I know it is greater than 2.5X that the gv's have (from the TC position).  I think it is safe to say that pilots in WWII did not peer through binocs while lining up their foe in the sights of their fighter.  At minimum, I'd really like to see the pilot zoom reduced to 2.5X.  This move would make the Storch that much more valuable in reporting gv position and heading.  It would also probably give the fragile gv's a very small increase in survivability against aircraft guns because the pinpoint accuracy will be harder to accomplish. 

I understand the need for a zoom in terms of game play, but some times I believe it is rather apparent that the aircraft have it far too easy.     
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline RipRap

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 08:13:19 AM »
wirbie should be killed from above as they have an open turret.  I have only turreted them but never killed one.  semp

Got killed rather easily the other day by Spit16.
Otto  ~Flying Penguins~

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »
I think it has a bit to do with the Jeep bug...  Possibly a ricochet underneath the tank killed the driver?
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 09:21:10 AM »
that is not working IRL , I promise no one can give evidence they did it in  ever on a ww2 MBT.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 09:22:30 AM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:27:47 AM by Rich52 »
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »
I would think that rounds fired directly into a wirbles turret would kinda bounce around inside and make  a mess outta the rest of the tank.

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 09:24:03 AM »
First it was the F3, next the evil Vtards have the AP shells on the Stormbirds targeted. I was defending a base yesterday and with the fighter hangars down, ords down, it was an easy matter for a swarm of Vtards to over-run the base. We all know they are talking about the IL2 cause its the only airplane with AP that actually has impact. Now that the gelded IL2 has only the tortured gulag prisoner in the back seat its helpless against fighters. Instead of "StormBird" I now dub thee "CrowBait".

So now "they" want AP removed? Imagine if History was truly copied and the CrowBaits chucked out about 200 of these onto their King Tigers?

Before you know this this place will be a $15 per month World of Tanks.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:26:08 AM by Rich52 »
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 09:43:05 AM »
The Wirb and Osti have an option top area - in real life a plane wouldn't dare be that near to one of them, in our cartoon world a pair of aircraft can be used to easily disable a wirble, one keeps him occupied and the other dives in.

this is why we have supplies
JG 52