Author Topic: Drug test  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
Re: Drug test
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2012, 10:13:59 PM »
I am firmly in favor of drug testing for the workforce and those collecting public money, but I'd prefer if they use hair folicle drug testing instead.

Also, I'm not in favor of the current unemployment benefits. I feel strongly you should only be able to collect based on a ratio of the years worked (and this doesn't include those on disability). For example, for every 7-10 years (up for debate) worked, you accrue 1 year of unemployment.

So, if you're a 58 year old machine shop employee that worked every day of his life, you can collect between 5-7 years. This way, you can go back to school to retrain for a new job or retire early.

You've never collected it have you?  Idk what it pays out there but where I live the maximum would almost cover rent.  I don't think it's possible to collect for more than 1 year the way things are now but I may be wrong.

So you'd prefer a test that still doesn't show whether or not a person is under the influence but goes back farther into the past?

Are there any other activities that people do on their own time that you think should disqualify them from earning a living?
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline spammer

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2012, 11:06:03 PM »
You guys do know there is performance enhancing drugs. I want everyone involved in my safety using performance enhancing drugs for my safety and well being.

LOL

I do not want to collect the samples! Don't be simple minded.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
What if you're 28, 2 years out of grad school, and $xxxK in debt?  Also I thought unemployment payments were already based on how long you worked in the past and how much you earned.

Most states base your UC pay rate on your highest quarterly wage paid in the last 18 months (there's a minimum amount of wages required to qualify).  Length of employment doesn't factor in, as the extensions are federally based.  Also, 99 weeks is a bit misleading.  The last two extensions are based upon your state's unemployment rate.  If it's lower than 6%, you won't get extended.  
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:40:25 PM by AAJagerX »
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2012, 08:42:14 AM »
The last two extensions are based upon your state's unemployment rate.  If it's lower than 6%, you won't get extended.

now that is a very good idea, and something I'd like to see implemented here.

transitional support only for finding a new job in an area with loads of jobs. In my city unemployment is 3-4%, yet there are whole families who havent worked in generations. This in contrast to some cities where unemployment is very high indeed (usually due to a large scale industry shutting down like shipbuilding or coal mining.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:25:36 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2012, 09:08:40 AM »
Wow this just keeps going on and on...

:devil

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2012, 09:09:32 AM »
Wow this just keeps going on and on...

:devil

Yes but that is because it is a discussion and not a war zone.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2012, 10:13:51 PM »
What if you're 28, 2 years out of grad school, and $xxxK in debt? 

If you're 28 years old, I guarantee you can find a job. It may not be the job you want, but employment is out there.

Also I thought unemployment payments were already based on how long you worked in the past and how much you earned.

Yes, but I'd like to see it completely re-vamped to better help those that have carried a job for many years without collecting. We need more incentives to work, rather than less.

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2012, 10:22:31 PM »
You've never collected it have you?  

No, I have never collected and I had a few opportunities to do so. Before and while I was going to school, I was laid off 5 times. After I got my degree I worked the most menial, degrading jobs until I could land the job I wanted.

So you'd prefer a test that still doesn't show whether or not a person is under the influence but goes back farther into the past?

If you're going to collect public money of any kind, including retiring early on uncollected unemployment benefits (as I suggested earlier), you should be tested, period.  Personally, I'd rather have them not bother testing for marijuana, but rather for much more destructive drugs like opiates.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2012, 10:30:31 PM »
There is talk here, in PA, about putting in place a clause that requires you to provide proof that you are seeking gainful employment while collecting U/C benefits.  From what I recall, what they have on the table right now is that you must fill/send out 2-3 applications for employment/resumes per week to be eligible for continued benefits. 

They have that in Connecticut for some of the benefits right now and it is a complete joke. To get around it they look in the paper for jobs they have no hope of landing and bring a copy of the application to the State. I know one personally that used to apply to the American Lung Association and had the credientials of a 'self taught computer aided graphic design' and put on the application he is a 3+ pack a day smoker.

Yes, I am cynical, but I've seen it first hand.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:41:58 PM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2012, 01:33:41 AM »
They have that in Connecticut for some of the benefits right now and it is a complete joke. To get around it they look in the paper for jobs they have no hope of landing and bring a copy of the application to the State. I know one personally that used to apply to the American Lung Association and had the credientials of a 'self taught computer aided graphic design' and put on the application he is a 3+ pack a day smoker.

Yes, I am cynical, but I've seen it first hand.

you guys ever thought that even though you may deny to death that most of the country is on welfare one way or another.  those who have a house and deduct their mortgage interest are being subsidized by other who rent.  those that are so against people on welfare and yet are so quick to ask for a receipt for that "business" meal.  there's lots of ways to lower your taxes legally and they are being subsidized by others.  I call this welfare. and dont even get me started on corporations having all kinds of deductions and "incentives" to invest on something they have to do to stay in business anyway.

this we must test all  on welfare is fine and dandy.  but to be honest let's test everybody that takes a deduction on their taxes.  after all, not everybody takes the same deduction and by default they are being subsidized by others so isnt getting "free" money welfare?

of course it's only welfare if it applies to somebody else, isnt it?

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2012, 04:23:07 AM »
you guys ever thought that even though you may deny to death that most of the country is on welfare one way or another.  those who have a house and deduct their mortgage interest are being subsidized by other who rent.  those that are so against people on welfare and yet are so quick to ask for a receipt for that "business" meal.  there's lots of ways to lower your taxes legally and they are being subsidized by others.  I call this welfare. and dont even get me started on corporations having all kinds of deductions and "incentives" to invest on something they have to do to stay in business anyway.

this we must test all  on welfare is fine and dandy.  but to be honest let's test everybody that takes a deduction on their taxes.  after all, not everybody takes the same deduction and by default they are being subsidized by others so isnt getting "free" money welfare?

of course it's only welfare if it applies to somebody else, isnt it?

semp

+1 

Every meal eaten in america consists of heavily subsidized food, and that's just the beginning. 
Unemployment insurance is something we pay into while we work, it's not free money that we give people in exchange for not working.  And the laws of reality inevitably cause it to benefit some people disproportionately more and less than others.  So to make sure nobody takes advantage we should just be done with it.  God forbid we allow anyone to collect unemployment insurance while some people are still taking advantage of the system either intentionally or unintentionally.  We should also make sure that while they're collecting it that they aren't spending any of it on non essential items like drugs.  Now we just need to open up a new government dept of bureaucrats that will police those collecting unemployment, disability and wellfare recipients and this will somehow be better than a few taking advantage of the rest of us taxpayers.

If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline TheAssi

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2012, 05:30:54 AM »
God forbid we try to tighten up any government programs.

If we can't afford it we can always print more money, right?

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2012, 07:00:02 AM »
Since 25 years ago in Oklahoma, you had to document your job searches.  You needed at least 3 per week.  If you didn't find a job within 3 or 6 months, you had to go in for re-training, so you could get some work.  Employees don't pay this tax, it's the employer.  Right now for me, it's 7% of payroll.  If I call them back to work, they can say yes or no.  Some like sitting on their butts and collecting.  I can't make them come back to work.
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2012, 07:43:54 AM »
I dont know much about unemployment, never used it.  Welfare on the other hand, I believe people should have to do some kind of community service for it.  You know make it so people dont want to be on the system.  We just had a meeting yesterday at work and because we are community action, we see ALOT, there was a 24 year old lady that wrote a letter back to the agency saying how she was so happy that sevca helped her pay her light bill and pay her car payment, not 1 time not 2 times but 3 TIMES!!  I have a problem with that because I have my own car payment and light bill, car insurance, etc. just as well as all of you guys. 

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2012, 01:40:54 PM »
most of the country is on welfare one way or another

Get rid of most of it... there is a reason we are 16 trillion in debt.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"