Author Topic: NVidia Driver  (Read 894 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
NVidia Driver
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:02:02 AM »
So, I got a notification on my machine today alerting me that a video driver update is available.

Now, considering that I haven't been having any problems lately, should I upgrade my video driver or just leave it as is?

Current driver is:  275.33

New driver is:  295.73

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: NVidia Driver
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »
It all depends on if the new driver has any features that you would make use of or can't live without. I started using a beta driver a month or so ago when they release it with enhancements such as ambient occlusion and other optimizations geared towards Skyrim. I haven't had any issue with Aces High or anything else.

So, it's up to you whether you want to roll the dice and see what comes up.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:47:10 AM »
NEVER, NEVER allow Windows to update a video card driver.  That is the fast path to causing a lot of problems.  It may not happen today, but it will happen.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:04:55 AM »
be very very very careful with NVidia updates!!!!!!

NVidia tends to apply their updates in a broad brush!!!! i cant remember how many times i had updates that actually would cause problems with my card because it wasn't designed for my card but NVidia said it was.

wait a few weeks after the update has been put out into the world and then go read their boards http://forums.nvidia.com/ and see if there are any conflicts between your card and the lastest update or if any particular problems have been discovered. oh and ALWAYS keep a copy of the install of last working set of drivers in a folder somewhere just in case.
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:01:13 AM »
Yes, what FLOTSOM said.  NVidia and ATI both update drivers to help the latest, greatest versions of thier hardware be the fastest and often it can result in problems for older cards.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:56:42 AM »
I only get a notification when an update is available, it doesn't install on its own.

Based on what you guys are saying, I'll simply ignore it.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »
I only get a notification when an update is available, it doesn't install on its own.

Based on what you guys are saying, I'll simply ignore it.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you have a GFX 2xx series card or greater, I would recommend keeping the drivers updated and would even suggest using the beta drivers.  For cards prior to the GFX 2xx series, I would recommend sticking with your current drivers if everything is working okay.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »
wait a month or two for the updates to be fully tested by others.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »
If you have a GFX 2xx series card or greater, I would recommend keeping the drivers updated and would even suggest using the beta drivers.  For cards prior to the GFX 2xx series, I would recommend sticking with your current drivers if everything is working okay.

ack-ack

I have a GTX285, how does that relate to GFX?

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »
I have a GTX285, how does that relate to GFX?

Sorry, forgot that different Nvidia cards have different names for their chipsets like GTS and GTX.  Anyway, it doesn't matter whether or not it's a GTS or a GFX or a GTX, they all use the same universal Nvidia driver.  The latest driver does offer improved support for the older 2xx series so it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade your drivers.  If you had the older 9xxx or 8xxx series, then I would have recommended staying with an older driver and not update.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 10:18:21 PM »
Sorry, forgot that different Nvidia cards have different names for their chipsets like GTS and GTX.  Anyway, it doesn't matter whether or not it's a GTS or a GFX or a GTX, they all use the same universal Nvidia driver.  The latest driver does offer improved support for the older 2xx series so it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade your drivers.  If you had the older 9xxx or 8xxx series, then I would have recommended staying with an older driver and not update.

ack-ack

Very good, I appreciate the info ack-ack.   :salute

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline LCAMerciful

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 10:44:22 PM »
And if/when you ARE ready to update the drivers download them from the manufacturer's website.. or at the very least nvidia.com.  Don't let windows update it.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 11:05:11 PM »
And if/when you ARE ready to update the drivers download them from the manufacturer's website.. or at the very least nvidia.com.  Don't let windows update it.

Windows update it?  Oh heavens no.  I'll get them from nvidia, clean the old driver out, then install the new one.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 02:49:56 AM »
i downloaded the drivers out of curiosity at the description and saw a big improvement in the game.  I sometimes would get mini-freezes and they're gone.  i got mine directly for the evga website since i got a evga vc.

semp

I should alway say dont do the express as it will also install 3d and most people dont use the 3d so it's a waste of resources.  same for the monitor sound driver.  but I gotta say I am impressed with the way things look now.  they're a bit sharper than before.  I got sli evga 465 oc a bit only with 3 monitors.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:11:42 AM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »
Can someone recommend a good free program for cleaning out drivers...  I used to have one, but apparently I have changed computers since then and I don't remember what it was called.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder