Author Topic: Real life parenting question...not sure what to do  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
Re: Real life parenting question...not sure what to do
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2012, 04:26:07 PM »
Actually, you can become physically addicted to caffeine, I know I am.  If I haven't had one by 3-4 in the afternoon, I start getting a headache. But, people also become psychologically addicted to the habitual routine of having a cup of coffee in the morning and you can feel off if you don't have one.

Thank you!

I normally drink a soda when i get home at 2:30 ish and if I dont then I start to have a headache or just that tingle on your tongue when you think about it so I probably am addicted but oh well.  :o

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2012, 05:02:38 PM »
Smoke her stuff in front of her and say, "Thanks!  when you gettin' more?"   :devil

He asked what HE should do, not what WE would do.  :aok

weed leads to worse drugs in my opinion, friend of mine started with weed then he got up to meth and crack by the time he graduated, haven't talked to him since the last time he offered me meth
I was a freshman at the time

My humble personal opinion: meth is the worst drug on the face of this earth.  I've had friends come back from bad heroin and cocaine addictions (most with help) but never Meth, it destroyed them. 

It isn't chemically addictive, but any behavior repeated often enough can become habitually addictive.  That isn't to say it doesn't have side effects, but chemical addiction isn't one of them.

This.  It can become a bad habit/behavior like most "enjoyable" things taken too much.  Maybe the most relatable example for you and the wifey is the morning cup of coffee (yeah, I know, hope it hasn't been overplayed to your ears on this matter, yet.  But bear with me please.)...  I'm serious, look at your behaviours related every morning around it (or in other cases, the excuses you're creating for your own behaviors or demanded sustenance when in lack of).  Good behavior and responsible use you'll take one every morning and get by.  Take too much of it, or take none at all after being used to it for so long... and well, I wouldn't want to cross your path in the morning, likely.  I'm sure you got the will power and mental integrity to never drink another cup of coffee for the rest of your life... but because of the habit and dependence on it that you've built over so long, why would we want to subject yourself (and ourselves) to such displeasantries?... will every morning without coffee now for your lifetime be viewed by you now as a displeasantry?...  see what I'm saying now?  A bad and arguably unnecessary dependency.... 

You're wife is right to be concerned if overindulgences or bad habits are being suspected of forming.... if your daughter knows better though and is disciplined enough (in particular, lets hypothesis that she's also disciplined/smart enough to wait another two-years until she's responsible for herself and her own actions) I think she'll be just fine.  :aok

Pot, in a nutshell, makes most people comfy and depressed.  It's a downer.  For a young teenager, like your daughter, if she starts to slip and isn't disciplined enough to catch it and keep her priorities and responsibilities in place, she will keep slipping and "the struggle to achieve" and overcome that additionally introduced depression will be nothing but a burden for her that she won't need.

She'll be good if she knows that smoking pot on an already bad day will most likely not make it any better and do nothing to resolve a situation or problem, then she will be be less likely to keep smoking more and increasing her depressed mood level and, in essence, make a bad day worse.  She'll be good if she knows that spending money on pot when you barely have enough money to spend on food won't make you less hungry.  As simple and basic sensed as those concepts may seem to us adults, with teenagers you never can be too sure....  16 =/= 18+. 

Edit: Spellchecker is your friend.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:07:59 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2012, 06:06:05 PM »
But, people also become psychologically addicted to the habitual routine of having a cup of coffee in the morning and you can feel off if you don't have one.

I think that right there explains all the 'addiction' to marijuana.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2012, 01:07:54 AM »
Caffeine can be physically addictive, as a contrast. The reason for your headache Jayhawk is that Caffeine dilates blood vessels (amongst other things), so when you suddenly reduce your intake the blood pressure in your head raises slightly and you feel like your head is one of bells from Notre Dame  :rolleyes:
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2012, 01:27:39 AM »
No, not an Aces High addiction, that's the worst of all, oh the humanity  :cry

I'm told weed is not physically addictive mthrockmor, the habitual aspect is like any other habit. I'm sure it will all work out. I respect the way you and your wife have handled this.

VonMessa, I'm pretty sure Hieronymus Bosch was off his face  :rofl :aok

I am pretty sure that a video game addiction and a weed addiction are of the same.  They are habitual and take mental overcoming.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2012, 01:40:50 AM »
 :lol I'm not really addicted to AH, I just like it as a hobby. Can you be addicted to a computer game in fact? I'll have to think about that.

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2012, 01:54:05 AM »
You can.  I'm battling it right now, along with a host of other issues that turn 20:00 to 06:00 into a freak-show that leaves me questioning my sanity almost nightly.  You'd be surprised how dangerous the world is for a developing brain.  Worse still, the smarter you are, the worse your problems (e.g., a good imagination creates nightmares with Pixar-quality graphics and full physics).

-Penguin

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2012, 02:07:55 AM »
You can.  I'm battling it right now, along with a host of other issues that turn 20:00 to 06:00 into a freak-show that leaves me questioning my sanity almost nightly.  You'd be surprised how dangerous the world is for a developing brain.  Worse still, the smarter you are, the worse your problems (e.g., a good imagination creates nightmares with Pixar-quality graphics and full physics).

-Penguin

:) Awww, I shouldn't worry. I think you are sane within reasonable tolerances. Your imagination will serve you well in later life. Consider life is like floating along in a very big wide river, once you learn to stop thrashing around and trying to swim against the flow you can start to enjoy the journey. Take your time  :salute
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2012, 02:17:15 AM »
Oh I'm in no hurry.  If it takes a decade, then so be it.

-Penguin

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2012, 02:17:39 AM »
I gotta say some of the comments on buddly was quite funny to read....."Dangerous" "death" "addiction" are absolutely side splitting....

seriously think about this, the government has it (pot) classified the same as heroin.....so when someone tries pot and finds it absolutely harmless (which it is) and absolutely imposable to OD from, then thinks well if pot and heroin are listed the same classification and danger level, well lets try some H.......in that sense it may be a gateway drug...... but seriously who really believes heroin and pot are the same :rolleyes:

I have two daughters in the same age bracket 15-14   both of them have smoked with me, I was the first they smoked with...now they have zero interest in it, yes they did grow up around it,(not directly but I didn't hide it and lie and say I don't smoke) I hide nothing from my kids and if a situation arose that was something they shouldn't know, I would tell them when they were old enough to understand.

pot has many benefits....

besides the fact NO ONE has the right to tell us what we can or can not put in OUR own bodies.  :mad:

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2012, 07:29:28 AM »
I have 3 daughters, all grown now (youngest is 20). I would say in this situation whatever you do,
don't over react. Don't build resentment. Have a discussion, not a lecture. One thing kids hate, is being lectured.
Let your daughter know that you are not happy with the choice she made, but understand that no matter
what you say, if you put her on the defensive from the get go, conversation at that point is fruitless.
Yelling, or throwing a fit will only blow situation up further.
Remember that your baby is growing up, learning by choices SHE makes, and is trying to find out who she is.
My girls all went through different phases (as all do). I found that for most of the phases, they will grow out of them
in a short time, if left to. When you harrass your kids about something, it only pushes them to get under your skin further.

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2012, 10:26:50 AM »
I gotta say some of the comments on buddly was quite funny to read....."Dangerous" "death" "addiction" are absolutely side splitting....

seriously think about this, the government has it (pot) classified the same as heroin.....so when someone tries pot and finds it absolutely harmless (which it is) and absolutely imposable to OD from, then thinks well if pot and heroin are listed the same classification and danger level, well lets try some H.......in that sense it may be a gateway drug...... but seriously who really believes heroin and pot are the same :rolleyes:

I have two daughters in the same age bracket 15-14   both of them have smoked with me, I was the first they smoked with...now they have zero interest in it, yes they did grow up around it,(not directly but I didn't hide it and lie and say I don't smoke) I hide nothing from my kids and if a situation arose that was something they shouldn't know, I would tell them when they were old enough to understand.

pot has many benefits....

besides the fact NO ONE has the right to tell us what we can or can not put in OUR own bodies.  :mad:

Smoking pot itself is as dangerous as smoking grass clippings, give or take a chemical.  It also gives at least some users hallucinations, which, coupled with a low danger compared to other hallucinogens, such as heroin, makes it an attractive option for first time users.  However, dealers are in the business of pushing more drugs, so if the marijuana isn't doing it for the user, then the dealer may push for him/her to use harder drugs.  Finally, those who use marijuana may be self-medicating in order to escape reality, and while adults can recover from such hiatuses, children need to learn how to deal with their problems.  For example, stoning your way through middle school because you got bullied will leave you with retarded social development.  Needless to say, any intoxicant will leave the user at risk of self-harm.

-Penguin

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »
could ask her this.  You were fine living life without it before, right? So why create a need or desire for a substance you were fine without?

Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2012, 12:25:46 PM »
could ask her this.  You were fine living life without it before, right? So why create a need or desire for a substance you were fine without?

I think we have this on the right track but much work to do in the months to come. To your point though, we have noticed over the last year she has constantly been grumpy. By her own admission she is always mad and doesn't know why. Very moody, quick to snap at everyone, everything seems to piss her off, etc. I've passed it off as simply the hormones of a 16-year old but now...and she has been so much happier over the last two days. The happiness right now is mostly relief of being caught and getting that discussion out. We all think the pot made her moody.

This has been a massive learning curve, more to come!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
It sounds like this couldn't have worked out any better.  It's awesome that she can  talk you guys in an open and honest way.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.