Author Topic: Real life parenting question...not sure what to do  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Real life parenting question...not sure what to do
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 06:28:15 PM »
I think Dan was on the right tack.  In addition, let her know that while you don't want her to try alcohol and will be disappointed, that if she does or her ride home does she can call you at any time any place and you'll come and get her without there being any anger or anybody in trouble.  That her safety is your biggest concern.  Make sure she knows that she can rely on her mom and dad, no repercussions, rather than getting in a vehicle with a driver that is under the influence of anything.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »
I cant say what will work but for me personally I have avoided people that do drugs/alcohol. Not saying anything bad about your daughter but they best way for me to avoid it has been to just avoid the people. Or one night I was planning on going to a party but that day at school I found out someone was gonna bring weed. Needless to say I grabbed a RedBox movie on the way home and chilled with my girlfriend that night. So far it has worked for me partially because I stay busy out of school and have never even been offered pot. (BTW that party was busted by the police and 2 kids went to Juvie for intent to sell.)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
As a teen, I can say I (and most teens, it seems) have more respect for, and are more likely to listen to, the people that are calm and rational about things. As opposed to those that fly off the handle.

As has been mentioned before, the guilt trip works pretty well. So does making us feel as though we've disapointed someone we respect. Personally, my woodshop teachers oppinion carries a lot of weight with me. I would much rather be punished than feel as I've disapointed him.

I guess you should just remember that your daughter is growing up, and that part of growing up means making mistakes. If she didn't make that mistake now, odds are she would have made it later (since it wasn't a problem in your house, I'm assuming you wouldn't have done any drug-related talks with her). Best she made it now, then, say, when shes just starting her first real job. It would also do to remember that although shes not an adult yet, shes getting close, and treating her like one would be better than treating her like shes 12.

I know I'm speaking from a possition of inexperiance, but for what its worth, you might try talking about this to anybody she really respects, be it a teacher, church group member, sports coach, or any sort of mentor. Have them talk to her about it, and if she respects their opinion of her, she'll probably feel an unplesant mixture of guilt and self-disapointment.

Thats not to say let them handle it on their own, you're her parents after all, but she'll probably respond better to the "you're a smart kid, you know better than to do something stupid like that" approach from a non-family member she has a lot of respect for that to an ***-chewing, and grounding from you and your wife.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 06:36:18 PM »
I think Dan was on the right tack.  In addition, let her know that while you don't want her to try alcohol and will be disappointed, that if she does or her ride home does she can call you at any time any place and you'll come and get her without there being any anger or anybody in trouble.  That her safety is your biggest concern.  Make sure she knows that she can rely on her mom and dad, no repercussions, rather than getting in a vehicle with a driver that is under the influence of anything.

quoted for truth
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 06:52:02 PM »
 Boo,

I cant offer any better advise than Guppy has,Dicho further points to the same thing. Communication is the key!  Tell her you love and trust her and whatever she does if she finds herself in a situation where she is getting into a car with an impared driver to please call you first. There will be no lecture,no screaming or yelling just the offer of a safe ride home and we can talk in the mourning.

Afterall the life you save could be mine!

Kids will be kids, as a parent all we can do is point the way and help them on the course.

:salute

I see Karnak beat me to it.......

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 06:52:57 PM »
I skipped reading the rest of the posts because I didn't want my answer to be swayed or diluted.

How did you find out she was smoking? Was it something you stumbled upon rather innocently, or did it involve scandal and intrigue?

I ask because the circumstances dictate the next move.

If the kid is smoking the occasional J while doing well at life, you should be understanding.

If the kid was caught at school with five pounds of the icky-est sticky, you have a right to be concerned.

Make sure you find out where she gets it first... you know, in case you want to test the waters.

:angel:
See Rule #4

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 07:12:37 PM »
The straight problem to the equation is 16 =/= 18+ and kids have no buisness with things that are so dangerous.... that being said, kids will be kids, and will think they know better or are stronger than they really are - every known substance on this earth included.

Keep it up Raptor!   
Thanks haha, never been my ambition to try drugs
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:20:00 PM by F22RaptorDude »
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 09:38:52 PM »
The first thing she needs to understand is that you care about her more than getting her to stop drugs, and that seeing her do weed hurts you.  Doing this keeps her from falling into self pity or rebellion, both of which will close off communication.  Next, ask her what she wants out of life, and then based on her response, tell her where weed will keep her from achieving those goals (provide proof)- again, the focus is on her and what she wants to do.  This gives her long-term motivation to quit without hard feelings, this removing the allure of weed.  Always emphasize that you still love her and believe that she can stop, which helps her feel secure and confident in refusing to use weed.  Also tell her that if she ever has a problem stopping, then she can always turn to you for help.  All these efforts combined make her feel like she can stop, wants to stop, and has support behind her that will only increase if she has trouble.  All the while, remain optmistic, cordial, and serious.  In terms of UFC, it's a one-two punch of altruistic and self-interested motivation that turns weed from fun into a dangerous waste of time.

-Penguin

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »
"using"

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Wow.
See Rule #4

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »
The first thing she needs to understand is that you care about her more than getting her to stop drugs, and that seeing her do weed hurts you.  Doing this keeps her from falling into self pity or rebellion, both of which will close off communication.  Next, ask her what she wants out of life, and then based on her response, tell her where weed will keep her from achieving those goals (provide proof)- again, the focus is on her and what she wants to do.  This gives her long-term motivation to quit without hard feelings, this removing the allure of weed.  Always emphasize that you still love her and believe that she can stop, which helps her feel secure and confident in refusing to use weed.  Also tell her that if she ever has a problem stopping, then she can always turn to you for help.  All these efforts combined make her feel like she can stop, wants to stop, and has support behind her that will only increase if she has trouble.  All the while, remain optmistic, cordial, and serious.  In terms of UFC, it's a one-two punch of altruistic and self-interested motivation that turns weed from fun into a dangerous waste of time.

-Penguin

Motivation to quit is only necessary if there is a problem; and if there is a problem, she'd have to believe it is a problem before she would be able to quit.  I don't think that is the situation in this case at all.  Anyway, I certainly doubt she is addicted to marijuana.

The reason for her smoking is something the parents can discuss with their daughter.  I would guess, even if she doesn't know it, is that the marijuana is part of a search for independence.  It's all part of growing up, as she is finding her own.  The parents should still become involved and help guide, but looking at this as a problem that has to have a solution probably won't get you anywhere.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 09:59:42 PM »
Smoke her stuff in front of her and say, "Thanks!  when you gettin' more?"   :devil
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 09:59:54 PM »
Motivation to quit is only necessary if there is a problem; and if there is a problem, she'd have to believe it is a problem before she would be able to quit.  I don't think that is the situation in this case at all.  

The reason for her smoking is something the parents can discuss with their daughter.  I would guess, even if she doesn't know it, is that the marijuana is part of a search for independence.  It's all part of growing up, as she is finding her own.  The parents should still become involved and help guide, but looking at this as a problem that has to have a solution probably won't get you anywhere.

:aok
See Rule #4

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »
Motivation to quit is only necessary if there is a problem; and if there is a problem, she'd have to believe it is a problem before she would be able to quit.  I don't think that is the situation in this case at all.  Anyway, I certainly doubt she is addicted to marijuana.

I assumed that it was chronic (no pun intended) use.

-Penguin

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
Let her smoke weed on the condition that she has to do it at home. It isn't that big of a deal, if she smokes too much, she's probably gonna eat, sleep, or both. No big deal and its not like she can overdose on it. If you tell her not to, she might quit, she might not, or she might go and smoke the legal stuff (which causes seizures).

IMHO, be glad your daughter smokes pot, cause atleast when she does it with her friends, she'll be too lazy to do anything bad.

Now if you catch her drunk/drinking, lay down the iron fist of parenting and ground her till she's 30. THATS when bad things happen to good people.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 10:14:28 PM »
weed leads to worse drugs in my opinion, friend of mine started with weed then he got up to meth and crack by the time he graduated, haven't talked to him since the last time he offered me meth
I was a freshman at the time
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat