Author Topic: Real life parenting question...not sure what to do  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Real life parenting question...not sure what to do
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2012, 11:59:36 AM »
Do you know anything about electronic cigarettes? And how many people they've helped quit smoking (myself included)?

Sometimes the government doesn't know what's best for the people. That includes marijuana.

Sometimes the government does what's best for the people with the money (Big Pharma, Big Tobacco, etc ,etc, etc).

I'm sorry but your posts in this thread just about make me cringe. I think you need to research your opinions more, beyond how many chemicals are in a plant. Dig deeper before making up your mind.

If so, then they should soon get approval.  True, sometimes government doesn't know best.  However, we created these institutions to regulate drugs.  Look at drug ads before the FDA- anyone could claim anything and fraud ran rampant.  Now we have a bunch of red tape that keeps people in line.  Yes, the red tape creates inefficiencies, but these inefficiencies, when compared to fraud, are the lesser of two evils by a broad margin.  Sure, there is corruption, but when you look at the grander scheme of things, the FDA depends on its good name and thus needs to stay clean.  It is in a very exposed position and risks its neck every time it lets a drug through.  That's why the risk statements at the end of drug ads are so long and are read in plain English.  They used to be jargon read at a speed that was at the edge of human comprehension. Proactive consumer protections are there, and the fact that we don't hear about them often means that they are doing their jobs. Yes, there are 'bad drugs' but they were there before, so it's not like we lost ground.  Government is the way that the people regulate themselves.  Even the founding fathers knew that there would be problems, and they were just as human as the rest of us when it came to their quarrels.

A bill of rights that is void where prohibited?  Let's see:  Freedom of religion?  Check.  Freedom of speech?  Sure, you can't cry "Fire!" in a crowded theater, but the Pledge of Allegiance is not mandatory, nor is standing for the National Anthem.  Freedom of the press?  It's certainly improved since McCarthy's time.  Right to bear arms?  There are more gun purchase threads on this forum than I can count!  3rd Amendment?  Check.  4th Amendment?  Here I'd say that we've got some problems and need to stand up for our rights while allowing the police to take advantage of new advances in technology to combat crime.  Tricky, I know. 5th Amendment?  Check.  The legal system is actually running like a well-oiled (no pun intended) machine.  6th Amendment?  Same.  7th Amendment? Same.  8th Amendment?  Yeah, we've got some issues to figure out here, too.  Let's not paint villains, though, it makes things harder.  9th.  Check.  10th. We fought that battle in the 1790s through 1810s, so check.

Nope, it seems like the issues are pretty minor when you look at how big the Bill of Rights is.  Yes, we need to stop torturing people.  Yes, we need to get warrants for wire-taps and such things.  Drone warfare needs to be allowed by the country in question, but it saves lives on the whole.  Again, warrants are necessary for it.  To analogize it to a car, the muffler came off and there's a flat tire, but the engine, frame, exhaust, windows, interior, electronics, and axles are all fine.  This is no tune-up, but a new car isn't worth it.

-Penguin

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2012, 12:17:18 PM »
I have two daughters, 16 and 6. My 16-year old is a good girl, has never been in trouble. She is getting A's and B's in college prep classes. She loves UFC fighting and likes the whole 'tough girl' image.

Last night I learned that she has been smoking weed. I am completely shocked. My wife and I rarely drink alcohol, do not smoke and have never done any type of drugs. This is simply foreign to us.

We kept her home from school today, took her phone and backpack (in case she has something in there.) We agreed we are not going to fly into a rage, she is not getting shipped off to some military school or intervention. Other then trying to be rational in our response, I'm really at a loss as to what to do. My first thought is to get her into some karate, etc classes to help self-esteem, focus her energy into something sort of UFC.

I know, I shouldn't be asking here but asking family will be potentially prejudiced with other factors. And, no one in our extended family has had their child head this direction. I will ask some family members, etc though I am guessing this group could offer a few thoughts.

OK, anything?

Boo

PS Please, if you don't have anything useful to add just skip responding.

If she's into drugs now she's hanging with wrong kind of friends. This is where the bad influence comes from and pressure.

I would explain to her the legal ramifications of getting busted with drugs and how it can ruin her life. Then I would find out who she hangs with and contact their parents. And as a final resort I would ban her from contacting the drug dealing low lifes she now has for friends.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »
Don't have much time but let me respond quickly to the first three you mention.

Freedom of religion...Google "religous freedom under attack" and read. Many tens of millions of Americans do not agree with you. President Obama/Sct HHS and controceptives is the latest.
Freedom of speech...pressed but will ultimately survive, though read the next one and how seperate is 'speech' and 'press?'
Freedom of press...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2091948/U-S-falls-47th-press-freedom-rankings-Occupy-crackdown.html

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2012, 03:49:15 PM »
Not free by my standards.  If the state decides to take away your guns for your own safety you might realize how I feel about the subject.  Or you can keep drinking the kool-aid and accept that too.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »

Freedom of religion...Google "religous freedom under attack" and read. Many tens of millions of Americans do not agree with you. President Obama/Sct HHS and controceptives is the latest.
Freedom of speech...pressed but will ultimately survive, though read the next one and how seperate is 'speech' and 'press?'
Freedom of press...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2091948/U-S-falls-47th-press-freedom-rankings-Occupy-crackdown.html

Boo

Any freedom that one party has may not interfere with the exercise of the freedoms of any other party, thus, if I like eating apples but you abhor it, as long as everyone involved can reasonably ignore me there's nothing that you can do.  This applies to darn near everything.  For the specific issue of contraception, we can't discuss it here too much, but Obama has made it so that those who do not desire to handle or purchase contraception do not have to.  The article did not state what those reporters were doing- many of them were likely participating as well as reporting.  The protests had also devolved into a bunch of people sitting out on the street doing drugs and complaining about darn near everything.  There was literally turd on the street or in buckets.  At a certain point the city has to step in to keep some decorum for those not participating.  These protests went on for weeks and months!  I make no comment on the politics of the matter, though.

Is the state really going around grabbing just anybody's guns?  That would create a massive media hubbub, which hasn't existed.  As for gun regulation itself, no comment.

-Penguin
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:09:00 PM by Penguin »

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »
The contraception modification was dishonest. Many large institutions are self-funding, meaning they only cary catastrophic coverage. This means these religious organizations still must pay for something they religiously disagree with.

The rest, another thread.

Boo

edit: Are you familiar with 'Fast and Furious'? No claim that BATF is grabbing guns, as I said this issue is likely the most liberated its been in many decades. Anyway...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:57:04 PM by mthrockmor »
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2012, 10:29:48 AM »
If she needs pot to have friends, then she needs therapy and a new outlook on life that doesn't reject others.  No disrespect, just pointing out a safer, longer-lasting solution.

-Penguin

I see where you are coming from......but that wasnt my point. I'm sure she doesn't need pot to have friends. My point is she is already smoking and that social act alone, getting high enjoying life and bonding with others is actually the tough thing  ( even tougher than not puffing at all ) to leave behind ESPECIALLY for someone at her age. Her social circle has introduced the marijuana as one of the catalysts for hanging out so now its part of her social identity. Not the complete social identity but part........

Have you ever tried to tell a teenager that their friends suck and they should leave them behind? My folks told me the same thing and sent me to rebel and hang with them even more!

*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2012, 12:05:42 PM »
Ah, I understand what you mean.  Yeah, this is going to be an uphill battle, but it'll be worth it.  Besides, if they are really her friends then they'll be OK with her hanging out sober.

-Penguin

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2012, 01:31:41 PM »
Any freedom that one party has may not interfere with the exercise of the freedoms of any other party, thus, if I like eating apples but you abhor it, as long as everyone involved can reasonably ignore me there's nothing that you can do.  This applies to darn near everything.  For the specific issue of contraception, we can't discuss it here too much, but Obama has made it so that those who do not desire to handle or purchase contraception do not have to.  The article did not state what those reporters were doing- many of them were likely participating as well as reporting.  The protests had also devolved into a bunch of people sitting out on the street doing drugs and complaining about darn near everything.  There was literally turd on the street or in buckets.  At a certain point the city has to step in to keep some decorum for those not participating.  These protests went on for weeks and months!  I make no comment on the politics of the matter, though.

Is the state really going around grabbing just anybody's guns?  That would create a massive media hubbub, which hasn't existed.  As for gun regulation itself, no comment.

-Penguin

Sure, eat your apple even though I don't like apples.  On the other hand, if you tried to get as close to me as possible while eating that apple knowing my dislike for apples (which is a common way that folks like to push their rights), you will be swallowing your apple alright, just not in the way that you had originally intended to.

The problem with regard to contraception is that not all females take them as a form of contraception.  There are many that take them solely as a means by which to control their cycle and it has absolutely nothing to do with not becoming impregnated.

You have never taken a dump into a bucket?  You haven't lived until you have  :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2012, 02:04:09 PM »

Boo

Please don't post daily mail articles, people on this forum are stupid enough to believe them :/  

the daily mail is like the UK's Fox News in tabloid form, zero credibility whatsoever
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »
Please don't post daily mail articles, people on this forum are stupid enough to believe them :/  

the daily mail is like the UK's Fox News in tabloid form, zero credibility whatsoever

It's not top notch journalism by any means but it is fun to reed.  Besides, where else are you going to see an article about a family dog playing the piano and singing?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2110908/Roll-Beethoven-virtuoso-dog-plays-piano-AND-sings-along.html
Thank you Daily Mail, I would have just kept on thinking musical dogs were unpossible if it wasn't for them.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:33:49 PM by Rob52240 »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.